The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shipping a Car to South Africa? Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone shipped a car from the US to South Africa? If you have what company did you use and let me know any tips you have to offer. I am in Chicago and am selling a 1969 Mustang to a gentleman in South Africa. Thanks in advance.

Jason

I can tell you horror stories of USHIP, which is basically a clearing house for auto shippers, in 1 case a race car was pulled on and off so many times that it ruined the clutch. Of course, nobody knew anything. So be careful who you pick, here's some suggestions.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Honestly , having been in the business for years let the buyer set it up and get insurance etc. He needs a contact etc., because any problems will need to be handled on his end. We , as a Dealership never handled anything except maybe shipping to a port --they paid us separately for that. There are quite a few businesses in Chicago doing international shipping and you could check them out, but have buyer handle all issues. We had one car damaged in shipping and the buyer wanted us to pay to repair. He secured the shipper, did not buy insurance , yet wanted us to cover. You want the sale , but all situations once it leaves you want no responsibility, imho.

I can tell you horror stories of USHIP, which is basically a clearing house for auto shippers, in 1 case a race car was pulled on and off so many times that it ruined the clutch. Of course, nobody knew anything. So be careful who you pick, here's some suggestions.

Thanks!

Honestly , having been in the business for years let the buyer set it up and get insurance etc. He needs a contact etc., because any problems will need to be handled on his end. We , as a Dealership never handled anything except maybe shipping to a port --they paid us separately for that. There are quite a few businesses in Chicago doing international shipping and you could check them out, but have buyer handle all issues. We had one car damaged in shipping and the buyer wanted us to pay to repair. He secured the shipper, did not buy insurance , yet wanted us to cover. You want the sale , but all situations once it leaves you want no responsibility, imho.

Thanks Bill!

Sorry I missed you at Autobahn last weekend. Nick said it was a good time.

TMO Supporting Vendors