The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SHO Performance Package

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well we were driving over today talking about color and at that point she was leaning toward white. There was a little water on the roads and as we were rolling down the interstate I pointed out that all the cars that were dirty looked dirty....i.e. if you have a dirty car it doesn't really matter what color it is.....so we got there and she looked at the black one on the showfloor and said I'll take that one lol :D

It's going out for window tinting tomorrow and we'll pick it up sometime this week and take it on our road trip next weekend.

cloud9 said:
Well we were driving over today talking about color and at that point she was leaning toward white. There was a little water on the roads and as we were rolling down the interstate I pointed out that all the cars that were dirty looked dirty....i.e. if you have a dirty car it doesn't really matter what color it is.....so we got there and she looked at the black one on the showfloor and said I'll take that one lol :D

It's going out for window tinting tomorrow and we'll pick it up sometime this week and take it on our road trip next weekend.
Haha. Good stuff man. Congrats on the purchase. Now you need to make a mod thread.

How is the tranny on those, as far as whether it forces you into high gear? All the Fords I have driven lately (and most other cars for that matter), unless they are a "sports" car the trannies shift so early that it makes the big motors almost moot since it is in 6th by like 30 mph.

CaliMR said:
How is the tranny on those, as far as whether it forces you into high gear? All the Fords I have driven lately (and most other cars for that matter), unless they are a "sports" car the trannies shift so early that it makes the big motors almost moot since it is in 6th by like 30 mph.
It has paddle shiffers on the steering wheel. It's actually kind of cool. When you click the downshift on the left or the upshift on the right, it brings up a digital tach on the left side of the dash showing RPM and current gear. It does shift relatively early when in Drive. You can put it in Sport mode on the console shifter and then just manully shift. It does shift a little earlier than you'd like if you were drag racing, but if you're WOT it will go close to redline before shifting. I think the Livernois tune adjusts that if you want higher and quicker shifts. At this point I don't know if she wants it tuned or not since in her opinion "it has plenty of power" especially compared to her V6 Mustang or the V8 Eddie Bauer Explorer that she's coming out of now.

racered302 said:
The rims looked like gigantic flowers, perfect for a lady. Where they the 20'? Nice looking car.
Yes 20s....thought they looked better than the 19" aluminum spoked wheels. Hey, not my car but I'll drive this when necessary as opposed to the pink striped Mustang convertible she traded :D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Does it raise the shift points in Sport mode or is that Manual only? My TTS DSG tranny worked that way.

PeteInCT said:
Does it raise the shift points in Sport mode or is that Manual only? My TTS DSG tranny worked that way.
Well I didn't try it yet so can't say for sure. I asked the dealer salesperson if it was as you described but he thought it was all manual but didn't know for sure either lol. I said if it's all manual you'd just bang off the rev limiter until you manually shifted it?? I guess I'll try it out next week some time and let you know. At the end of the day it's probably going to be in drive 99% of the time.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I'm fairly sure there is no true only manual mode. sports should change the shift points pretty dramatically and also lawyer gas mileage accordingly. using the paddles should just alright the car automatic gear setting. most probably hitting the red line also cause an up shift even if you are manually shifting to protect the engine. that was 1 thing about my paddle shifting DSG that I didn't like, it up shifted at points on the track or I really didn't want it to when I just wanted to say it right out the red line for a bit more.

In normal drive there is no pure manual mode. If you use the paddles it will let you up or down shift as long as the ECU deems it "safe". If you don't shift again after a few seconds or aren't accelerating hard it will automatically resume shifting for you. I say this based on my '13 SHO Wagon. (ie Flex EB ;)) It does have a sport mode however as discussed, and I just realized I've never tried the paddles with sport to test the response...

From personal experience and what I observed in friends, after the new wears off the paddles tend to get ignored for day to day driving. With the Ford trannies, they shift so early it is actually really annoying if you live in an area with hills. It almost feels like really bad turbo lag, as you end up barely being able to make it up the next hill unless you goose the throttle to induce a (slow) downshift. As an example, 3 of my brothers have Explorers and driving them in SF is really annoying. Either it is manual mode, which defeats the purpose of an automatic, or bogging and waiting for it to shift. Also at every stop in traffic on a slope it tries to upshift immediately. If you don't have hills, it may not be a concern ;D

Nice add to the family stable. You may eventually have to pick her up a vintage Mustang because as nice as the SHO is she'll miss the little pony. But, in the meantime, she should really enjoy a top-level high performance sedan for typical driving, road trips and commuting.

Did you get the track package?

jimprw said:
Nice add to the family stable. You may eventually have to pick her up a vintage Mustang because as nice as the SHO is she'll miss the little pony. But, in the meantime, she should really enjoy a top-level high performance sedan for typical driving, road trips and commuting.

Did you get the track package?
After kicking it around we decided against the track (performance) package. Realistically at 4350 lbs I'm not going to put it on the track when I already have two track Mustangs to kick in the teeth. Combine that with the summer tires and I'd have to drop an other 3 grand for winter wheels/tires and it would just be one more thing to maintain, The thought is we might actually just leave this one stock :D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
cloud9 said:
PeteInCT said:
I think he should buy her a GT40 and invite us all over for dinner and a test drive. No ?
Hmm. Not a bad idea. She told me I wasn't getting one, but she didn't say SHE wasn't getting one.

Great minds think alike!

Gary, post pics when you can. Especially after the window tint, I'll bet the SHO will look badass. Love those cars.

jimprw said:
Gary, post pics when you can. Especially after the window tint, I'll bet the SHO will look badass. Love those cars.
Will do if we ever get any sunny days. Of course this time of year it's only up for what seems a couple hours :D We went out for dinner last night so we took it instead of the pickup. It was my first chance to really drive it and I was really impressed. It have amazing power for a sedan and I took it through this roundabout near our house almost as fast as in the Boss. I was amazed at how well it handled even without the PP. I asked my wife if she thought it was too "rough" and she gave me this puzzled look....."not when I'm used to riding around in your track prepped Mustangs" ;D

Glad to hear you're impressed...I guess I'd be disappointed if you weren't...I haven't actually driven one of the current generation of SHOs, but from what I've read Ford has done it right.

TMO Supporting Vendors