The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SHO Performance Package

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This looks very interesting.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-sho-performance-package-turns-taurus-into-a-track-car/

shoperformance-640x490.jpg

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Yes...that is very interesting. Been eyeballing this vehicle since they released it....owned a 1994 SHO with an automatic...and thought that car was fun. I think the AWD would really be nice versus FWD....on the track. Sad thing for us up in these parts....a guy would need a set of wheels and tires for winter. I believe the performance package has "Summer only" performance tires.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
You're going to make me want a SHO even more than I do now. Geez. Maybe I can talk the wife into one of the 'classic' SHOs should we sell the JCW.

My father has a '12 SHO, claims its the best car he has ever owned. I like riding in it, but driving it, it feels to big for my tastes. :)

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
NFSBOSS said:
I had a 1991 SHO that was all white with white wheels and bumper guards and the hood bulge. I ran that car hard and after a run from Needles to Barstow averaging over 100 MPH is started burning oil so I sold it. I'll have to dig up some photos and scan them.

Ours was dark green metallic...with silver wheels. Used to run speeds like you mentioned...for long stretches. We donated it in 2004...it had a seal leaking in the tranny and a couple of other bugs....just wasn't worth fixing. Sure felt Yamaha did a very respectable job on that engine...for the time. Pictures would be very nice :)...

OK so now we're going to look at one tomorrow night......for the wife of course ::) She has an '08 Eddie Bauer Explorer and the '08 Poonstang and thinking about going down to one car. We traded her 300C back in '08 because of the RWD and she got stuck in the church parking lot and I had to go dig her out :mad: Do we really want one of these? It sounds pretty cool and if we do order one I'd have to get the performance package....but of course also need a set of winter wheels/tires. Not sure but we'll see after we look at it tomorrow. ???

I used to have SHO's for company cars at Ford...the older ones...great cars. I preferred them over the t-bird super coupes and mustang gt's of the day.

I've spent a fair amount of time in the newer one...just about bought a dealer demo '12 for the wife...but after driving it we both came way a little underwhelmed, frankly. it has a bit of a claustraphobic (sp?) cabin feel to it and the performance was a little ho-hum...

fuhrius said:
I used to have SHO's for company cars at Ford...the older ones...great cars. I preferred them over the t-bird super coupes and mustang gt's of the day.

I've spent a fair amount of time in the newer one...just about bought a dealer demo '12 for the wife...but after driving it we both came way a little underwhelmed, frankly. it has a bit of a claustraphobic (sp?) cabin feel to it and the performance was a little ho-hum...
Did it have the Ecoboost V6 with twin turbos and the performance package? We're going to look at one tonight, but it doesn't have hte performance package that has all the suspension upgrades, summer tires and upgraded pads. It does have the Ecoboost though. That Ecoboost TT 6 is pretty impressive in my full size F-150 so I'd think it would move an AWD sedan pretty well ???

the one I drove was actually an '11, I should correct myself on that...and it had the perf package.
it was nice...just didn't hit the spot for us. but we ended up getting an edge...just to calibrate...just fir my wife's needs better.

for me the high points of the sho were the motor and the seats...the ergonomics / cabin just didn't excite.

if it were me, i still would have chosen the sho...but the car is 95% driven by my wife...and she really likes driving her edge.

cloud9 said:
OK so now we're going to look at one tomorrow night......for the wife of course ::) She has an '08 Eddie Bauer Explorer and the '08 Poonstang and thinking about going down to one car. We traded her 300C back in '08 because of the RWD and she got stuck in the church parking lot and I had to go dig her out :mad: Do we really want one of these? It sounds pretty cool and if we do order one I'd have to get the performance package....but of course also need a set of winter wheels/tires. Not sure but we'll see after we look at it tomorrow. ???
Will be curious to know how you liked it. We have a red one here in town with the performance package and it looks really good - plus the dealer is selling it for $38K; $7K off a $45 K sticker price. I could see that scenario too where wife has the SHO, but mine loves her Escape and wouldn't spend the extra money to move to the SHO.

jimprw said:
cloud9 said:
Will be curious to know how you liked it. We have a red one here in town with the performance package and it looks really good - plus the dealer is selling it for $38K; $7K off a $45 K sticker price. I could see that scenario too where wife has the SHO, but mine loves her Escape and wouldn't spend the extra money to move to the SHO.
We went and looked at them last night. The wife drove it but I didn't. She likes it and I won't be surprised if she orders one by this weekend but we'll see. She's waiting to see what the trade numbers look like on her Mustang and might wait a couple months until we get in the "season" if it's too low. The more we thought about it, the SHO without the performance package makes more sense. It's not like I'm going to track it :D We'd just end up buying another set of wheels and tires for winter and have to manage that. It's amazing how much equipment comes on the thing. You'd need a week to figure it all out. The park assist is pretty cool and even though I'm a pretty good parallel parker, it's about impossible to outdo the computer. As far as power, it was a bit "underwhelming" although certainly no slouch. It has more power than she needs that's for sure, but it's not slow by any means. Overall the look is pretty cool.

Yeah...I've seen a pretty good selection of after market performance parts for new SHOs. Gary, get the track package - you know you want it and it has to improve even the highly competent stock configuration. Plus, with winter tires the thing will go through the snow like an SUV only faster! ;)

seats! I love the seats in the sho.
another thing that I really like on the sho is the adaptive cruise control....we have it in my wife's edge.
it takes a a little getting used to...but it's a super feature once you get comfortable with it.

for me, the sho is the ultimate road trip vehicle...comfy, quiet, quick enough...and did a mention the seats!?

LOL you guys are killing me. That's what I need another car I'm modding to death and breaking when the wife just wants to get to and from the grocery store.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB2RT6dPZQs&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors