The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shocks and struts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've lowered my S550 GT pp with Eibach pro 1". I have to believe the OEM shocks and struts are no suited to this setup due to the shock is now partially into its length of travel. Does aftermarket shocks/struts take lowering into consideration or am I putting too much thought into this?
If so what is anybody's opinion of the Koni's ? or what are some other good options for the track?
Thank you.

I think the issue is more of the damping control for stiffer springs vs where they are in their travel. Hopefully @modernbeat from Vorshlag can help you out.

Since I've been summoned... ;D

Yes, your are correct in your thinking that stock length struts will have issues with most lowering springs. The loss of stroke (due to lowering) is not made up by the slightly stiffer spring and you will likely end up bottoming out. That ends up destroying your top mount, damaging your strut, ruining any sort of ride quality and eventually make you hate your car.

I HIGHLY recommend using a strut with a shortened housing when you want to use a lowering spring. We did a lot of work with different springs and struts to find a good combo for the S197 that works in the Vorshlag StreetPro kit. I don't have anything similar for the S550 yet.

modernbeat said:
Since I've been summoned... ;D

Yes, your are correct in your thinking that stock length struts will have issues with most lowering springs. The loss of stroke (due to lowering) is not made up by the slightly stiffer spring and you will likely end up bottoming out. That ends up destroying your top mount, damaging your strut, ruining any sort of ride quality and eventually make you hate your car.

I HIGHLY recommend using a strut with a shortened housing when you want to use a lowering spring. We did a lot of work with different springs and struts to find a good combo for the S197 that works in the Vorshlag StreetPro kit. I don't have anything similar for the S550 yet.

Keep me posted, Thanks!

TMO Supporting Vendors