The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shoe Choices for Track? Narrow Soles Aren't Working Out? Poor Technique?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
May sound pretty silly but, I bought shoes specifically for HPDE and i struggled with heal toe downshifts wearing them...my wider soled shoes aren't a problem. I know the easy answer (and most likely the best) is wear a wider soled shoe. My OCD is making me question my technique...Typically my heal rest a little left of the gas pedal and I apply the brake with left 3rd of toes and roll my ankle to blip the throttle with widest portion of my foot, using the ball and my foot and the floor board as a fulcrum point. A narrower shoe prompts my to be more pigeon toed and rest my heal a more in front of the gas pedal.

Is this something to concern myself with or am I overthinking it? I know with my limited experience on track I have other things to improve on but, this surprised me.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Your shoe has to cover the distance between pedals. So, wider shoe or wider pedals?

I went with SRP pedals. Mostly because I convinced myself I was old school and could handle three pedals with two feet. How hard could it be....right.

Then....I bought the auto-blip. Switched off I can play with heal and toe. Switch on and concentrate on braking.

I used to think that so-called 'driving moccasins' would aid H&T but have found that they are actually quite terrible for that use! I have narrow-ish size 11 feet and find that shoes with a flatter/wider bottom are much better. FYI cheap $50 Saucony Bullets are probably the best H&T shoes I have ever used.

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
I also have a set of srp pedals, in addition I also bought a set of piloti shoes on clearance and have been happy with the feel they've given me so far for HPDE. the sole is a little thicker than my liking for pedal feel but I can roll my foot easier than my tennis shoes I'd been using before.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I received a pair of Alpinestars track shoes for Christmas. I immediately noticed an improvement in my heal toe downshifts. It felt like it took more effort with my wider soled tennis shoes. I also have a set of SRP pedals with the wider throttle sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. I'm hoping that this will make for the most improvement.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
New, wider Sullivan racing pedals helped me accidentally start toe-heeling but I've a convicted bliper now and there will be no rehabilitating this old raggedy man.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I personally like driving shoes that closely resemble tennis shoes but with super flexible bottoms like moccasins. I bought 3 pairs of the piloti shoes when they were on sale and have only worn two so far (I use driving shoes for street wear-always have) and I gotta say, I'm not crazy about them. I also bought a high top pair from them that look more my taste for driving but we'll see when racing season starts.
Anyway, one vote here for wide bottom flexible shoes.

I wear Converse All-Stars. Comfortable and flexible enough to be able to feel the pedal. I suspect a lot of wider shoes stiff enough to be able to span the pedals without deforming are going to lose some feel to them. Enough that you may not be able to really feel if you are on each pedal or not. In my case I think a wider pedal would suit me best. I have gotten used to the All-Stars and my shifting now sucks with my winter boots so I think it does make a difference.

TMO Supporting Vendors