The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Short Shifter - MGW or ..... also grinding question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From my search I have only seen MGW Short Shifter (someone also mentioned they are behind schedule, not sure if it is true).

Any other recommendations? or MGW is the only way to go? Haven't boughta short shift in a long time but 400 seems like a lot but from looking up the system it seems very well made.

Also out of nowhere im getting grinding into first once in a while, any input?

I have the same 1st grinding, also it pops out of gear in 1st occasionally while grinding. There was another guy on here with the issue, he got Ford to open his tranny and they replaced gears and synchros. I am having no luck getting them to do anything.

Have you tried bleeding your clutch? It is simple and quick to do, I've found that it nearly solves my 1st gear issues for a while. I had a leaking caliper though, since they fixed it and sealed the system I have not had to rebleed. I still get the rare 1st grind or lock out but it is a lot less often.

The local speed shop has installed a few Barton shifters for guys who track their LSes and they seem to like them a lot, but I have not actually driven one. You can call MGW to find out how long the wait will be, they seem to have pretty good customer service.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Getting an MGW is worth the wait.Took about a month to get mine,but very well worth the wait and the money. Not one problem since it was installed. Call George and ask how long the wait is.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
+1 MGW. I always shake my head when I get behind the wheel of my wife's '11 GT and row through the gears of her wet noodle OEM shifter. If you can find someone who already has one installed and just sit in the drivers seat and run up and down through the shifts it's night and day. In retrospect hard to believe they used this 'made for the masses' shifter for the Boss, but the bean counters won this battle.

$400 is worth it. I've seen a lot of threads with other brands that are still having issues, and spent 100, 200 and up and still aren't satisfied. Have seen a ton of positive feedback on the MGW, with only a few 'meh' guys *cough* Rick *cough*, but I'd chalk that up to statistical probability. Like getting the green chip in your bag of Lays (or Utz, etc).

I'm going contrarian here here and say while the MGW is a nice piece I'm sixes on it compared to installing a shifter bracket. My theory all along has been the stock butter soft rubber shifter bracket is where most of the slop is in the shifter and I recommend installing a Barton twin post shifter bracket. Originally I had a Steeda shifter bracket and Redline oil in my tranny and the upgrade to the MGW wasn't a big deal for me. The only reason why I bought the MGW was because I'm having lock out from 2-3 and 3-4 on track. I'll find out in two weeks if the MGW solved my shifting issues and if it does I'll be happy. So if you hate the stock shifter buy the MGW if for the most part you're fine with it and want to tighten up the feel but the Barton shifter bracket.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
1) MGW hands down. When you see how it's made you'll understand the cost, and they do sometimes take 2 to 4 weeks to be delivered depending on where you land in their production run. I admit I never tried the Barton bracket - but I don't believe the bracket is the only design flaw with the stock shifter. There are plastic components (especially on the reverse mechanism) that wear too easily. Somewhere in a thread there's a pic of the wear that is experienced with relatively low mileage.

2) I have the same issue with getting the car into first from a dead stop at times. I am 100% confident it has nothing to to with the clutch. The MGW shifter and Redline MTL in the MT-82 may help your with this problem a bit, it did for me. Still, Sometimes getting into first takes some additional effort on the stick, but I can always get it in. When the problem arises the stick clicks and stops as what seems to be in gear. However, some more additional pressure produces a second 'click' and then it's really in gear. It's gotten to the point that I can just tell by the stick angle if it needs a little more forward motion to be fully in gear.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
PeteInCT said:
1) MGW hands down. When you see how it's made you'll understand the cost, and they do sometimes take 2 to 4 weeks to be delivered depending on where you land in their production run. I admit I never tried the Barton bracket - but I don't believe the bracket is the only design flaw with the stock shifter. There are plastic components (especially on the reverse mechanism) that wear too easily. Somewhere in a thread there's a pic of the wear that is experienced with relatively low mileage.

2) I have the same issue with getting the car into first from a dead stop at times. I am 100% confident it has nothing to to with the clutch. The MGW shifter and Redline MTL in the MT-82 may help your with this problem a bit, it did for me. Still, Sometimes getting into first takes some additional effort on the stick, but I can always get it in. When the problem arises the stick clicks and stops as what seems to be in gear. However, some more additional pressure produces a second 'click' and then it's really in gear. It's gotten to the point that I can just tell by the stick angle if it needs a little more forward motion to be fully in gear.
I was saying it's the clutch to rick's comment on his lock out issues

Pete, when mine locks out of first (feels like how you described it), sometimes no reasonable amount of pushing and wiggling will get it in. But I have also learned to catch it so on the rare occasion it still happens I just pop it into 2nd then back to first now.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Cali - Yes, same here sometimes. I also have seen where if I slip the clutch gently it may engage fully. Once she seemed like she was as well in gear and when I started moving forward she dumped out of gear with a big 'thud' in the drivetrain. It acts as if something in the linkage is binding up. Just a guess.

When mine comes out of gear in 1st, it kicks the lever back and grinds real hard until it is out. I can tell now when it will do it, and with the clutch bled it is really rare. When I bought the car, it did it 3 or 4 times just getting it home.

To add to the discussion...I have 1300 miles with the "Hurst shifter and Barton shift bracket" combination. Crusing to high rpm shifts, I am quite pleased with both the feel and function. Certainly the MGW is good, but there are other options if you want to go that way.
r/
Eric

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The owner of MGW has had a ton of Mustangs over the years ( Cobras, Shelbys, Bosses, etc). He currently has a Boss and he really understands the issues with the stock shifter. We have installed systems from various manufacturers over the years and for both the Viper and the Mustang , nothing has come close to the quality and precision of the MGW short throw shifter. He also builds one for the Corvette and the big plus is he owns the cars and works on the shifter till it matches each vehicle's characteristics.

Have alot of companies we deal with extensively as we do so many mods, but can't think of anyone that we hold in any higher esteem than MGW Ltd.

Respectfully Submitted,

Bill Pemberton
Viper, SRT and Performance Sales Mgr
Woodhouse
www.woodhouse.com
1-800-889-1893

The wait is so worth it !!!!!

Thanks for all the responses.

I also get the issue when starting and there is no click into first then i attempt to go and it just grinds and pops out of gear.

Seems the MGW is the way to go. For people that have them....does it make the shifting resistance much harder? can you describe the change in feel?

DD GT3 RD said:
For people that have them....does it make the shifting resistance much harder? can you describe the change in feel?
It's more precise and the centering spring is very strong. Along with more effort required it adds more noise compared to the shifter bracket I had installed. More noise isn't a big deal to me but is sounds like a broke washing machine. :eek:

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
It's about the mechanical feel of a more solid assembly with much more mass moving back and forth with much beefier springs pushing the shifter in both the horizontal and vertical planes. The MGW has to be at least 3x more effort to row through the gears. It's a little surprising at first if you've taken the plunge and then start rowing through the gears while you shift. I can honestly see why some folks might think it's a little too much extra effort if they liked the lighter touch of the OEM unit.

I took the leap on blind faith that the other Boss owners wouldn't steer me wrong and I was 100% satisfied. It's entirely possible I could have also been happy with a Barton, Hurst, Steeda, etc but I really liked watching all the MGW vids. If you haven't seen them, check them out. I posted a big thread on how to install it as well so you can see what you are getting into.

The horizontal spring is heavier? That alone would be worth it to me, I remembered hearing that it was the same effort horizontal which is why I started looking that the Barton which claims to be heavier horizontal. The OEM spring is so light I it can be hard to tell you are pushing on it.

Sesshomurai

I went with the Hurst short throw competition shifter after seeing another boss install review of it and its been great.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
DD GT3 RD said:
Thanks for all the responses.

I also get the issue when starting and there is no click into first then i attempt to go and it just grinds and pops out of gear.

Seems the MGW is the way to go. For people that have them....does it make the shifting resistance much harder? can you describe the change in feel?
at first its stiffer. once the centering springs break in its smooth as butter when combined with REDLINE MTL

TMO Supporting Vendors