The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Short Shifter - MGW or ..... also grinding question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I agree it's smooth, even when first installed, it just takes more torque to run through the gates - even when fully broken in. In my installation each gear has a definitive 'snap' when it gets to a gear. Let's put it this way, it's not going to feel like the tranny on a GT3 but it's light years past stock.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Enjoying an MGW over an OEM Ford shifter is the difference between kissing your sister (don't go there) and making out with your first girlfriend. You can't exactly describe the difference in minute detail, but you knew it was good, better, more satisfying, and something you would enjoy doing over and over again as time moved on, at least until the next one (car or woman). ;D

Just watched a video mgw vs hurst and it looked very nice. Seemed like it popped into gear more, was more precise more gt3 like. Will order it

I've had issues with the clutch fluid boiling, street and track.

I'm sure it has been discussed already, but I am getting ready to pull the trigger. Can the MGW be installed with just the front up on ramps? And do I need to take the ball off the oem shifter to get to parts that will be re-used or can I leave it on if I am getting a new ball? I decided I want a stainless ball like my old car.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
GT3 - No issues with heat on the tranny, although if you don't have an LS I'd get the tranny cooling scoop. The heat shield keeps heat and noise from getting up to the shifter and the console. Cheap insurance.

Cali - you need to take the ball off to take the boot off. Use a strap wrench. I used a strap wrench and first wrapped the ball with one of those thin rubber sheets used to help grandma open stuck jars of jelly. I needed that extra grip because the strap alone was slipping and I did not want to damage the shifter ball even though I was replacing it with an MGW shift ball.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
CaliMR said:
I've had issues with the clutch fluid boiling, street and track.

I'm sure it has been discussed already, but I am getting ready to pull the trigger. Can the MGW be installed with just the front up on ramps? And do I need to take the ball off the oem shifter to get to parts that will be re-used or can I leave it on if I am getting a new ball? I decided I want a stainless ball like my old car.

Yup, you can do the install on ramps. Watch the MGW vids on the recommended tools, deep sockets etc. You can find the link and pix in the How To section of BMO (I put in a few pointers from my install too). Hit the ball with a hair dryer for a good 10 minutes before the strap wrench. Get a friend to help you from under the car and will save you about 45 mins off a 3 hour solo install time.

I can't stress enough that proper fitment of the new boot is required to keep the noise down to a minimum, as well as taking the time to put in the dynomat. I got the heat shield more for noise isolation rather than heat issues but installation of that is a breeze, just have to use your socket extensions around the drive shaft.

If you give them a call to order your shifter, ask about which shaft you will need. If the aluminum ball you are talking about is the OEM style from the 401A interior, that should be the OEM thread shaft IIRC but double check with them.

Be prepared on how much stiffer the new unit will be, esp. the first 500 miles! It's quite a difference. I noticed the very first few shifts after the car warmed up were very notchy, so I put the clutch down and rowed through 1 to 4 while coasting a little while before actually putting it gear for the 1st test drive. You won't believe the difference, it will bring a smile to your face and make you think, 'this is what should have been installed in the first place'.

Thanks. The only reason I have hesitated is because I am having the 1st gear issues and my local dealer would probably try to deny warranty work based on the shifter if the trans gives out but I'm hoping it helps fix it the issue. I don't know what shift ball I am going to get, just want a nice stainless one I think, but might as well get both shafts I figure.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
DD GT3 RD said:
Just Ordered the MGW short shift with the White with Blue striped shift ball
just to let you know you can get this knob in a variety of colors through epco. MGW sells the one in the pick you have to call and ask for it its not listed on their site.
556419_468922966473613_1802157434_n.jpg

^ thank you! I like that one! especially that it says BOSS 302

I thought it would be cool to have the white with blue stripes but worried it will stand out too much inside the car, but then my friend said "stand out too much? YOUR CAR IS BRIGHT BLUE!"

PeteInCT said:
Did u order a shift handle with stock threads? MGW has 2 options.....

No I order the bigger size...I may change it to the OEM size, im debating. For the Blue Shift ball above I have them sending me 2 inserts, one for oem and the other for the MGW size. I ordered the white w/blue striped MGW shift ball, but not sure I want that now that I found the one above!

TMO Supporting Vendors