The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shorty Headers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pufferfish,

I appreciate you taking a look at these and for your valuable insight and inputs concerning these new headers. I don't think many folks are aware of these shorty headers from Magnaflow being recently released. I look forward to someone here on the forum who has the technical knowledge and available assets to possibly do a comparison between the Kooks and the Magnaflows and any other shorty headers to see how they compare on the dyno and in real world driving. Know anyone who might fit that bill...lol

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
ha! won't be me testing! i have to pay for dyno time like everyone else ;D
...and my knuckles are still healing from installing the kooks!

we should campaign for one of the magazines to do a comparo, now that there are more offerings out there!

302 Hi Pro said:
I spoke with the Kook's Rep about this back in November 2013 when I was researching this. At the time he thought it was a great idea and mentioned that one company, Jet was only 2.0 hours down the road.

I would call them to see it that has changed. Do you know why they would not recommend ceramic coating?

Thanks for the update,
302 Hi Pro
I got to thinking about this, and one reason you might not want to coat them is the temp of the exhaust hitting the cats. Maybe too high if coated? May be over thinking things, something I'm constantly accused of being an engineer, but one of the reasons to go with these shorties is to avoid CEL's and pass emission tests. OK, that's two things... :eek:

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
a valid point to be investigated! the puter is so sensitive to any changes in cat efficiency, which is the whole reason shorty headers are a good option.

i never bothered with coating and have not noticed any extra underhood temps. now, with my longtubes, there was a definite increase. probably because there is so much more surface area on longtubes to radiate?

pufferfish said:
Very happy with them, but take just as long to install as long tube headers.

Have the option to change to LTs at any point and wouldn't. Just don't see that much of a power difference.

+1. I also had them installed and am very happy with the fit, finish. It also fit my plans to keep the engine/exhaust fairly stock so that I wouldn't have to mess with a tune and CEL's. So far, I am very happy. Have I thought about intake, cams, long tubes, and an exhaust...well yes, but decided to spend the money on the driver mod (tires, track events, fuel, maintenance etc.) instead.

I talk to the guy at Kooks and asked about coating my header before my install. He said it wasn't necessary and they dissipate heat pretty quick. After the car is shut off for 20min you could grab the header and they won't burn you. I took his word for it and decided not to try, but they do cool down quick.

wwilde001 said:
+1. I also had them installed and am very happy with the fit, finish. It also fit my plans to keep the engine/exhaust fairly stock so that I wouldn't have to mess with a tune and CEL's. So far, I am very happy. Have I thought about intake, cams, long tubes, and an exhaust...well yes, but decided to spend the money on the driver mod (tires, track events, fuel, maintenance etc.) instead.

Just to clarify, you retained the cats and you still noticed a power gain? If you are still using the cats, did the car get louder?

The car is not any louder since I retained the stock system behind it, but it did change the engine tone under the hood. Since I didn't do a dyno until after my modifications, I cannot honestly tell you if any power was gained. I will tell you that the motor internals and tune are bone stock. The car dyno'ed at 395 at the wheels. If the car is truly 444 HP at the crank, then I am very pleased to have less than a 12% drive line power loss with my setup...or maybe I picked up a few HP? Anyways, as I said I am very pleased and the car has enough HP for me at the moment. Didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Well my Kooks arrived today. Install will be tomorrow. As my axle backs are not stock (FRPP Touring), I'll see if they make a difference in the exhaust tone...and seat-of-the-pants dyno... ;D

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Andy
Mostly Mustangs in Oakland is a very reputable shop. They work on all years of Mustang and they helped fund Diablo Valley Mustang Club's MCA events. Great people.

John

Got the car back today with the Kooks Super Streets. What a difference! Definitely breathes better, with much more responsive 1st & 2nd gear with silver key. Deeper exhaust note, and the thrum I got ~2500 rpm with the restrictor plates removed is gone. With 3/4" plates in I had the same thrum at 2000 rpm. So I'm sure the stock exhaust manifold was the source of this. Got on it in 3rd getting onto the freeway, and there was even more unrestrained acceleration. Engine braking is much less jake brakey. Red key unleashes a new level of beast mode, although not as big a difference response wise as silver key. Lopey idle is breathier and more pronounced. Definitely better response on acceleration, and engine braking is just plain sick with all kinds of popping and growling! I know catless would be even more of all I said, but for a relatively "CA legal" setup, I don't think I could ask for more. One of those "I wish it came stock like this" mods.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
One step further...kooks shorties with mbrp off-road 3" h-pipe, lethal OAP's and gt500 mufflers just sounds insane! Rev match downshifts on city streets is sure to give someone a heart attack!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel