The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Should Ford Team-Up with GM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like Audi is going to join Mercedes and BMW on self driving cars. Does it make sense for Ford and GM to partner up on autonomous vehicles? It's gotta be tough keeping up in this fast changing segment of the automotive world. I think for this tech to really work cars need to be communicating with each other so there will need to be standard communication protocols developed. I'd rather see Ford lead the way even if they take on a partner like GM. Thoughts?

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...n-bmw-and-daimler-s-self-driving-car-alliance

bmw-and-mercedes-benz-self-driving-car-concepts_100693731_l.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I follow the logic. I just don't see Ford and GM in a long and loving marriage.

I also agree there is a huge tech gap which needs to be filled Before this idea is a reality. To date, self driving cars need a solid painted line on the road to function. How do the tech gods get around this?? We are also one fatal accident/tragic headline away from this becoming an expensive pipe dream.

I agree, auto cars are coming, much to my dismay! I also agree with TMS's concerns about certain road conditions that need to be addressed albeit road lines, road signs...you name it.This has to happen nationwide, on every street for this idea to work!Who knows...It may save lives once it's dialed in? Better than the nuts we got out there now texting and who knows what else while they're "driving".

In the V6L
I think this industry will evolve along the lines of the mobile phone/device industry. The ecosystem will split into two main groups - technology patent holders and product builders. In the cell phone world, companies like Qualcomm, Nokia, Ericsson, Broadcom have huge and valuable portfolios of technology, while a different group, the builders like Apple, Samsung, Motorola and others, put the building blocks together to deliver products that people can use.

The challenge with this new ecosystem will be risk management. If there's a glitch in your phone, nobody dies. These new technologies will have to be tightly regulated to ensure safety and inter-operation.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
With their collaboration with the 10 speed auto, this seems so logical to me and makes more sense as it would likely involve more US company subcontrators. Ford and GM work with so many companies based around the World doing more shared parts development here in North America has a common sense basis.

TMO Supporting Vendors