The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Should I change the Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I took my new 2013 Boss to ECR when it was only 1-day old. I arrived with 115 miles on the odometer and departed with 215. I didn't push the limits and shifted at 5000rpms all day long; even though I was only 3 seconds off my times in the "old" 2012 Boss (I know how can a 2012 be old). I normally change the oil after every track day, but with 215 miles on the clock I didn't see a point. I now have 1100 miles on the car and will be heading to ECR next weekend. I should have 1400 miles on the Boss when I arrive at ECR next weekend. So do I change the oil or wait until after this event?

Thanks Chris

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
IMO, it never hurts to have fresh oil in the car. I know it's probably excessive, but I change mine after any track day. In your case...you're probably fine, just double check the level and go for it.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
while we have a pretty stout traditional oil system, I'd go ahead and change it. Under 400 miles you should have some metal moving around in there as part of normal break in. For track duty, I'd feel a lot better about flushing it, especially at 1400 miles with 1 track day (even mild) under its belt.

My recent build I did 400, 1500, 4000 and will now just go based on the onboard meter and periodic checks.

Thanks guys, I decided to change the oil. Its cheap insurance and since Rick told us about Castol 5w-50 being on sale a while back it will only cost about 60 bucks filter included.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
remember its not just the mileage but the age of the oil. If the car was sitting for four months I would change the oil before I started it.....just a thought.

Justin said:
remember its not just the mileage but the age of the oil. If the car was sitting for four months I would change the oil before I started it.....just a thought.

Justin, thanks. I don't let the car sit; I drive it everyday rain or shine. Its only 1 month old, but it was built 17 Oct, so it sat at the dealer for sometime. Changing the oil on Sunday.

TMO Supporting Vendors