The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Should I sell the Boss 302??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
dabossinne said:
Well 13Boss... It's a hard decision, and I know where you're comin' from. I've been in the same position several times in the past

Had a '69 Boss 429 that my was Dad's HS grad gift to me (although I had to pay for 1/2 the purchase cost). I sold it right before I graduated from college, got married and went in the Navy. Shoulda figured out a way to store it for a few years until I got settled and had a place to keep it. But, at the time the immediate cash seemed a better option, and when you're 23 you don't think much about the future.

A few years later, in 1988, I bought a '65 Shelby GT350 (back when they were still relatively affordable) as a young Navy LT, and drove it daily and tracked/auto-xed it for the next five years. Then, I left the Navy, kids came along, work and life happened, and it became a mostly un-driven pile of potential cash sitting in my garage over the next five years. So, after 10 years of ownership I sold it, too. Again, 20/20 hindsight, I shoulda kept it (and very well could have...didn't need the money, had the garage space....sigh...), but didn't. Apparently I hadn't learned from my Boss '9 mistake.

Guess my advice is, don't let short term setbacks dictate long-term decisions. If you don't have to sell it, don't. I learned my lesson (I hope I did, anyway) and won't sell my '13 Boss, even though I'm not using it much these days, again, due to work and life priorities intervening. It'll sit in my 3rd garage, I'll take it out and drive it on occasion, maybe do an HPDE here and there, and maybe in a year or two I'll be able to get back out and enjoy it on the track more regularly.
This was a great answer to your question. I think most of us....me included, have had to make these kind of decisions.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
13Boss#3328 said:
I think I will end up keeping both of them, DD the Fit plus track it frequently while only occasionally track the Boss 302. This makes for a happier medium.
I think this makes most economical sense. Well, at least that's the way I'n currently using my GT and Boss. The GT isn't any easier on consumables, but the justification for me is that they share a lot of them...Brakes, wheels and tires. I've been considering adding a V6 for dedicated track duty for the same reasons.

orng302 said:
Track a Fit?

Why not? I actually see a fair amount of them on track. Laguna Seca, Streets of Willow and even Fontana.

Grant 302

I've considered hiding a 4th Mustang...a little over a hundred a month for one of the garage units across from my storage...but she's actually okay with the 'dedicated race car' discussion.

Grant 302 said:
I've considered hiding a 4th Mustang...a little over a hundred a month for one of the garage units across from my storage...but she's actually okay with the 'dedicated race car' discussion.
But then again, a dedicated track car demands a pick up truck with a trailer preferably 24 feet enclosed trailer...etc
Never ending story lol

If you got into B-spec the whole founding reason was to race economical street cars. The idea was to make the cages removable to return the car to its DD configuration. No trailer required, just have fair ready for a taxi lol. That is a tempting idea if I ever get into racing seriously.

Grant 302

13Boss#3328 said:
But then again, a dedicated track car demands a pick up truck with a trailer preferably 24 feet enclosed trailer...etc
Never ending story lol

For some people...I still believe in the 'arrive and drive' HPDE, since I have 6 major track options within about 170 miles. But if that doesn't work for a dedicated track car, I just picked up an Explorer which potentially could serve as tow vehicle too.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Grant 302 said:
For some people...I still believe in the 'arrive and drive' HPDE, since I have 6 major track options within about 170 miles. But if that doesn't work for a dedicated track car, I just picked up an Explorer which potentially could serve as tow vehicle too.

New Explorer or older truck frame Explorer?

BTW, as fun as the Miatas are that I've driven, I think the GT86 twins are the future Miatas (i.e. the sought after inexpensive car that people will beat to death) in the next decade. I've already told the wife I want one once the Boss and her next car are paid off completely.

ufnavy06 said:

BTW, as fun as the Miatas are that I've driven, I think the GT86 twins are the future Miatas (i.e. the sought after inexpensive car that people will beat to death) in the next decade. I've already told the wife I want one once the Boss and her next car are paid off completely.

I have my eye on them, too. But I don't know if they will see the same depreciation that makes a used Miata so tempting as a race car (I keep seeing 2-3k cars in decent shape with less than 100k miles). Plus the replacement parts are definitely going to cost more. A co-worker had to replace his headlight lense....$600 for a piece of curved plastic... They are still very tempting, though. I would buy the BRZ over the FRS any day...I suspect Subaru did most of the hard work on that project.

Grant 302

ufnavy06 said:

New - 2014. The truck frames were the 2010 and earlier, right?

And if I went to a cheaper track car I'd go for one of those (probably the BRZ for the same reasons above) or the newer GR WRXs that have the same 5x114.3 bolt pattern since the wheels/tires can also be shared with the Mustangs.

dabossinne said:
Well 13Boss... It's a hard decision, and I know where you're comin' from. I've been in the same position several times in the past

Had a '69 Boss 429 that my was Dad's HS grad gift to me (although I had to pay for 1/2 the purchase cost). I sold it right before I graduated from college, got married and went in the Navy. Shoulda figured out a way to store it for a few years until I got settled and had a place to keep it. But, at the time the immediate cash seemed a better option, and when you're 23 you don't think much about the future.

A few years later, in 1988, I bought a '65 Shelby GT350 (back when they were still relatively affordable) as a young Navy LT, and drove it daily and tracked/auto-xed it for the next five years. Then, I left the Navy, kids came along, work and life happened, and it became a mostly un-driven pile of potential cash sitting in my garage over the next five years. So, after 10 years of ownership I sold it, too. Again, 20/20 hindsight, I shoulda kept it (and very well could have...didn't need the money, had the garage space....sigh...), but didn't. Apparently I hadn't learned from my Boss '9 mistake.

Guess my advice is, don't let short term setbacks dictate long-term decisions. If you don't have to sell it, don't. I learned my lesson (I hope I did, anyway) and won't sell my '13 Boss, even though I'm not using it much these days, again, due to work and life priorities intervening. It'll sit in my 3rd garage, I'll take it out and drive it on occasion, maybe do an HPDE here and there, and maybe in a year or two I'll be able to get back out and enjoy it on the track more regularly.

Ditto. Though not a Boss '9 or GT350, I sold my Fox Mustang because of one little problem. My Boss is a 2012 with 13,000 miles on it, 500 of those are track miles. Even though it sits more than it gets driven, kids don't fit in the back anymore mainly, I will never sell it.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
If you have to solicit opinion on whether to sell or not from other folks, it's tyme to move on. Why in a rat's patootie would you really care what we think in regards to your ownership? Good luck with your decision. :p

Well said. I love the Boss, but have it for sale on here and will list on Autotrader/Ebay soon. Opening a business, need the money and the place is 45 miles one way...need better gas. I don't have or can afford another DD. Ive had Shelbys and others...there just cars and down the road I might be able to pick up another...or not

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel