The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Should I sell the Boss 302??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am thinking of selling my Boss 302 and keep the Honda Fit for both DD and track days
The rationale is the Boss is heavy on consumables ( brakes, tires, fuel, fluids and oil) and maintenance compared to the Fit.
To buy a $43000 car for the track is almost an insane decision unless you are really rich. Which isn't the case here.
So I will keep the Fit and DD + track it to the ground.

Another option is to keep both of them and alternatively track them, mainly fit and ocassional Boss?

Does this make sense? Am I missing anything here?
Help me make this decision...

If you can't afford it then, yes, it's a very good decision.

IMO a car like the Boss should come after other higher priorities like family and saving for the future. It sounds like you are in the process of putting those priorities in order. If that's the case you're doing the right thing.

302BOB said:
If you're having these doubts about owning a Boss302 (even after driving the car) then its not for you. I'm keeping (driving) mine as long as I can.......................

The Boss 302 is an insanely ferociously capable car and I am not having doubts about it, it is more of track car costs/maintenance issue...
I am sure some people have thought about that before.

MA
Having one car for daily driving and track use has it's own risks. If happen to break something or crash, you may have to spend more to get it back to DD duty, or need to rent a car.

93cobra said:
Having one car for daily driving and track use has it's own risks. If happen to break something or crash, you may have to spend more to get it back to DD duty, or need to rent a car.
Very true indeed

I'm lucky, the Boss is my joy toy. It's not my DD, but I do take it out every chance I get. (weather permitting, of course) I have a Toyota Tacoma truck as the DD & that suits me fine. Son borrows it for his part-time landscaping business so everybody's happy.

WorldFamousZ said:
why not keep the Boss as your daily and track the fit? hehe There is an odd logic to this I think...

I think I will end up keeping both of them, DD the Fit plus track it frequently while only occasionally track the Boss 302. This makes for a happier medium.

I ask this question myself everyday. Somehow, I still end up signing up for track events and spending money on the boss.

I've been to the track long enough to see people wreck their double duty (DD/Track) cars, which the boss was for me, so I picked up a used camry for DD.

What's your end goal OP, are you interested in W2W racing, time trials, or just HPDEs?
I know my end goal is to do W2W racing, and I'm not going to convert the boss to a track car. So, my plan is to track the boss, gain some experience, until its paid off and I have space for truck/trailer/race car, which then I'll buy a prepped race car.

For now, I will -knowingly- risk my half paid-off weekend car at the track :p

F.D. Sako said:
I ask this question myself everyday. Somehow, I still end up signing up for track events and spending money on the boss.

I've been to the track long enough to see people wreck their double duty (DD/Track) cars, which the boss was for me, so I picked up a used camry for DD.

What's your end goal OP, are you interested in W2W racing, time trials, or just HPDEs?
I know my end goal is to do W2W racing, and I'm not going to convert the boss to a track car. So, my plan is to track the boss, gain some experience, until its paid off and I have space for truck/trailer/race car, which then I'll buy a prepped race car.

For now, I will -knowingly- risk my half paid-off weekend car at the track :p

My near future goal is HPDEs, however I might end up being more serious as I gain more experience, but the whole concept of taking a brand new car to the track to learn and gain experience is not very appealing idea.

If time would go back again and if I knew I was going to be so addicted, I would've gone with a used NC Miata and beat the hell out of it cold heartedly.

An interesting thing you notice on the track days, that most people who does this thing avidly and consistently for years bring TRACK RATS, basically POS which they modify tastefully and make it a fun car which they race too.
You will also see most of novices have shiny and brand new sports cars...lol

orng302 said:
Track a Fit?

You can track anything you want! lol
I've also a couple of Fits out there at HPDEs, they don't do bad with slicks. I mean they race Fits in B-spec, so balanced suspension kits are available.

13Boss#3328 said:
My near future goal is HPDEs, however I might end up being more serious as I gain more experience, but the whole concept of taking a brand new car to the track to learn and gain experience is not very appealing idea.

If time would go back again and if I knew I was going to be so addicted, I would've gone with a used NC Miata and beat the hell out of it cold heartedly.

An interesting thing you notice on the track days, that most people who does this thing avidly and consistently for years bring TRACK RATS, basically POS which they modify tastefully and make it a fun car which they race too.
You will also see most of novices have shiny and brand new sports cars...lol

You're correct. Starting with an affordable, and easy on the consumables, car makes sense. I started with an auto corolla, but then got sick of being a road obstacle in the advance class, hence the boss, which is also why the boss is not shiny! lol. I stopped worrying about rock chips after my first cracked windshield.

What you'll also notice when you go with an affordable car is you'll drive more aggressively, which is alot more fun, because you don't financially "care" about the car.

There are good amount of miatas out there that are "tastefully" modified for 5-8k, could you afford another car while keeping the boss?
If you approach the situation logically, it's best to sell the boss and get an affordable track toy, but then again when have car enthusiasts done logical things? :p

Well 13Boss... It's a hard decision, and I know where you're comin' from. I've been in the same position several times in the past

Had a '69 Boss 429 that my was Dad's HS grad gift to me (although I had to pay for 1/2 the purchase cost). I sold it right before I graduated from college, got married and went in the Navy. Shoulda figured out a way to store it for a few years until I got settled and had a place to keep it. But, at the time the immediate cash seemed a better option, and when you're 23 you don't think much about the future.

A few years later, in 1988, I bought a '65 Shelby GT350 (back when they were still relatively affordable) as a young Navy LT, and drove it daily and tracked/auto-xed it for the next five years. Then, I left the Navy, kids came along, work and life happened, and it became a mostly un-driven pile of potential cash sitting in my garage over the next five years. So, after 10 years of ownership I sold it, too. Again, 20/20 hindsight, I shoulda kept it (and very well could have...didn't need the money, had the garage space....sigh...), but didn't. Apparently I hadn't learned from my Boss '9 mistake.

Guess my advice is, don't let short term setbacks dictate long-term decisions. If you don't have to sell it, don't. I learned my lesson (I hope I did, anyway) and won't sell my '13 Boss, even though I'm not using it much these days, again, due to work and life priorities intervening. It'll sit in my 3rd garage, I'll take it out and drive it on occasion, maybe do an HPDE here and there, and maybe in a year or two I'll be able to get back out and enjoy it on the track more regularly.

dabossinne said:
Guess my advice is, don't let short term setbacks dictate long-term decisions. I learned my lesson and won't sell my '13 Boss, even though I'm not using it much these days, again, due to work and life priorities intervening. It'll sit in my 3rd garage, I'll take it out and drive it on occasion, maybe do an HPDE here and there, and maybe in a year or two I'll be able to get back out on the track more regularly.

Thanks for sharing this with us. And I also agree with you about not letting short term setbacks dictate long-term decisions!

TMO Supporting Vendors