The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Should've bought a base GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sounds like your buddy did you a solid, and he is def a stand up person.
A couple of things, you are in the back yard of Phoenix Performance, their S197s were so legendary that thay had to be literally legislated out of competition.
They would be a huge resource for you. You might also be a bit disappointed in that they usually recomend a Gt500 upper link and Ford Performance lower trailing arms. No relocation brackets, just an 18mm bar and coil overs in the rear. Brain dead simple.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
Sounds like your buddy did you a solid, and he is def a stand up person.
A couple of things, you are in the back yard of Phoenix Performance, their S197s were so legendary that thay had to be literally legislated out of competition.
They would be a huge resource for you. You might also be a bit disappointed in that they usually recomend a Gt500 upper link and Ford Performance lower trailing arms. No relocation brackets, just an 18mm bar and coil overs in the rear. Brain dead simple.
I'd be lying if I said I haven't seen all the times you post those cars picking up the inside front and thought "yes, that"
Unfortunately those Penskes they like are not in the budget, but simplifying the rear setup is definitely a thought. I already have that 18mm bar.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't seen all the times you post those cars picking up the inside front and thought "yes, that"
Unfortunately those Penskes they like are not in the budget, but simplifying the rear setup is definitely a thought. I already have that 18mm bar.
You can do that with the Ford Performance parts, and JRI ( I think that's them) make decent coilovers for about 50% of the Penskes

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Cortex sells the JRi dampers in some of their kits, but they also have a new S197 Penske setup based on their work with Shelby American on Shelby-branded S550 Penske coilovers. Much less expensive than the IMSA/PWC Penskes, though not using an inverted strut.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
QA1 has come out with and inverted coilover strut for the S197's and the Fox/SN95's. Price is pretty reasonable. They are right in my backyard, might have to check them out.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
Appreciate all the input, but seeing as I JUST purchased a set of coilovers, I'm going to have to make them work for a while. New coilovers are just not in the budget. All the other adjustments, I do plan on making.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
Gathering my winter maintenance list, I've decided that 80k miles and 9 years of mild track abuse warrants some engine TLC.
So far I have planned:
Upgraded VCT Solenoids
Ford M-6004-A504 Cam Drive Kit
Boss Valve Springs (there was evidence of possible float around 7700rpm during dyno tuning)
Boundary "Black" Oil pump gears and anti-cavitation housing (yes, I went this long on stock OPGs)
Boundary crank sprocket

As well as a rear gear swap from 3.73 to 3.31 and rear bearing refresh. I'm thinking the 3.73s with 26" tires is a bit too much, plus there are several places on tracks I frequent where I could use an extra 5-10mph in 4th.
And, she's going to need tires. I'm still holding out for Conti ECFs in 305/30/19, but my hopes aren't too high and might have to stick to RS4's.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Others may disagree but I would definitely stay with the 3.73s. Digging out of some slower corners you may find a bigger issue than a few tracks you need that 5th gear shift.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
Others may disagree but I would definitely stay with the 3.73s. Digging out of some slower corners you may find a bigger issue than a few tracks you need that 5th gear shift.
I'm still considering splitting the difference with 3.55s. The rear needs a refresh either way, lots of noises coming from those 3.73s.
But with the short tires it feels more like 3.90s and I think I would be braver with the throttle with a little less gear as well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The 3:73s were really meant for 19” wheels. If you are running 18” I would look at 3:55s. Like Bill said the 3:31s are a bit tall. I have a gear ratio in Excel that will help figure out what is best for you. Let me know if you want the file.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
The 3:73s were really meant for 19” wheels. If you are running 18” I would look at 3:55s. Like Bill said the 3:31s are a bit tall. I have a gear ratio in Excel that will help figure out what is best for you. Let me know if you want the file.
I do have 19s, but the 305s are only 26" diameter (stock was closer to 27")
I actually took a bunch of time to make a fancy spreadsheet that accounts for tire size, with drop-down options and multiple transmissions, but thank you for offering yours up :)
The car is quite torquey and honestly I've always been very much on the too-careful side powering out of corners. I think a little less gear would help me overall especially if I can feel more confident hitting the gas.
But perhaps you've all convinced me to only go down to 3.55 instead of 3.31.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
It sounds like we made similar spreadsheets to calculate gear ratios. I had 3:55s in mine with I think 26.5 tall tires and wished I had 3:73s. The Tremec swap necessitated a gear swap and I ended with 4:10s. Remember going to a taller ratio doesn’t always mean higher speeds. The car will not spin up as fast so even though the gear can go faster you may not have enough time to get there before the next corner.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Over the years I have failed to use spreadsheets or heavy duty mathematical analysis on many items ( partly because I am too stupid to figure it all out ) and gone with what the winning drivers are doing. Sure my 315/30/18 Hoosiers on my Boss 302Ss were only 25.6 inches , but they kept me in a great torque band and helped me win a Regional Championship. I came out of time corners with alot of uuumph and seemed to get up to speed at times faster than what appeared to be more powerful cars. I hope AZBoss and Fabman jump in here, as they are two solid and consistent winners and their thoughts are the real World answers I would want to work with.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I do have 19s, but the 305s are only 26" diameter (stock was closer to 27")
I actually took a bunch of time to make a fancy spreadsheet that accounts for tire size, with drop-down options and multiple transmissions, but thank you for offering yours up :)
The car is quite torquey and honestly I've always been very much on the too-careful side powering out of corners. I think a little less gear would help me overall especially if I can feel more confident hitting the gas.
But perhaps you've all convinced me to only go down to 3.55 instead of 3.31.
Looking at the numbers it does appear the 3.55 will give you about 6 mph in 4th gear over the 3.73 assuming you are still running the MT82. The increase with 3.31 will be closer to 15 mph in 4th.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel