The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Side exhaust disks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was wondering and thinking about removing the side exhaust disks as some others have already done. I have just a few questions for you that have already done so. Did you put you car on a lift or jack it up? Also where exactly is the correct jacking point for the boss. Last is how long/hard of a job was it to remove the dicks. It seems like fairly easy tasks nothing too bad. Any feedback or comments about removing the disks would be appreciated.

I have been jacking along the pinch weld next to the rocker panels on both my GT500 and the Boss. There are square cutouts for jack stands near the front and rear wheels. Because of the side exhaust, you don’t want to use the one near the rear wheel or you might damage the side exhaust. I wasn't comfortable moving that jack stand toward the front to the next opening so I put the rear jack stands under the rear axle.

Gary, Did you put your floor jack were the lift arm is in this photo? I don't like jacking there for fear of bending the pinch weld.

2012_boss_302_53.jpg

Anybody know why the Owners Guide says "Never use the rear differential as a jacking point." ? I use to jack up my '70s muscle car from there all the time.

BossJockey said:
Anybody know why the Owners Guide says "Never use the rear differential as a jacking point." ? I use to jack up my '70s muscle car from there all the time.

I'm guessing it is just because it is unstable and could unexpectedly tilt one way or another. I think as long as you just lift there, but get jack stands underneath for support, it's fine.

As for lifting on the pinch weld. I also don't like that, but you can use a piece of 2x4 with a groove cut into it to protect it. They also make nifty little pucks that go on floor jacks. Like this:

jackpad1.jpg

Jimmy

I'm not sure that yellow puck will work on the Boss. The rocker molding sits pretty much flush with the pinch weld. The jack itself won't hurt it and just flexes it a little, but I would be worried if you pushed it up too much like it appears that yellow piece would, you might crack the rocker molding.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Here is what we do on our race cars as well as personal cars:

Red points indicate where to place the jack pad (front subframe bolt-on points @ front, LCA mounting bracket @ rear), and blue points indicate where we place jackstands (K-member control arm mounting points @ front, axle tubes directly under spring perches @ rear).

KMLSB.jpg

If you need to let the rear end down while the car is in the air, you can put jackstands directly in front of the LCA brackets.

ArizonaGT said:
Here is what we do on our race cars as well as personal cars:

Red points indicate where to place the jack pad (front subframe bolt-on points @ front, LCA mounting bracket @ rear), and blue points indicate where we place jackstands (K-member control arm mounting points @ front, axle tubes directly under spring perches @ rear).

KMLSB.jpg

If you need to let the rear end down while the car is in the air, you can put jackstands directly in front of the LCA brackets.
Red spots are where I jacked it, you really don't have to go much higher than it's regular height.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Ok I was searching through the forums. I want to remove the discs and it seems pretty easy and I have 3 hours before I have to leave for work. I don't have a jack but it sounds like I can do it without really jacking up the car. I understand there are 3 bolts I need to remove (2 on the exhaust itself, 1 holding the exhaust to the car, which sounds like its on the inside of the exhaust as I couldn't see it when I was just looking under the car). I have tools but what size wrench do I need to save some time and how can I do it without the jack? Any help would be appreciated before I head into work.

ufnavy06 said:
Ok I was searching through the forums. I want to remove the discs and it seems pretty easy and I have 3 hours before I have to leave for work. I don't have a jack but it sounds like I can do it without really jacking up the car. I understand there are 3 bolts I need to remove (2 on the exhaust itself, 1 holding the exhaust to the car, which sounds like its on the inside of the exhaust as I couldn't see it when I was just looking under the car). I have tools but what size wrench do I need to save some time and how can I do it without the jack? Any help would be appreciated before I head into work.

I like room to work but other say you do not need to jack it up. If you at least have a few wood boards to drive on that could help.

Here are the bolts,

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/anyone-interested-after-market-exhaust-discs-494672/index5/#post6079958

use a 15 wrench and a 15 socket on the rocker bolt. Very easy to do. Just make sure you adjust it correctly or it will rattle against the floor when re-installing.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Got em! Had a piece of tile I drove on and then used the jack that wouldn't fit under the car before (hence I don't 'have' a jack) to jack the car up. Sucks I had to do it all left handed but other than that, straightforward removal.

I took my Boss to a local muffler shop. They have a pit and I was able to walk underneath the car and check things out. It was pretty cool. It took about 15 minutes and they charged me $20.00 dollars.
Sounds terrific and the cheapest MOD that I have ever done.

TMO Supporting Vendors