The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Side Pipe Bolt and Grommet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone have a link to the side pipe bolt and grommet that attaches the end of the pipe under the door? I've checked online and can't find it. I must have hit mine at some point and the side pipe keeps coming out of the grommet and vibrating. I'm going to buy a couple and replace the damaged one and keep a spare on hand.

TIA

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
NFSBOSS said:
Does anyone have a link to the side pipe bolt and grommet that attaches the end of the pipe under the door? I've checked online and can't find it. I must have hit mine at some point and the side pipe keeps coming out of the grommet and vibrating. I'm going to buy a couple and replace the damaged one and keep a spare on hand.

TIA

Rick, it's Kirk here and I have a few spares on this as well. I have two extra bolts and grommets I bought from Levittown. Part number W714780S439 and 5C3Z17C431AA. let me know and I can throw it in with the other item I'll ship tomorrow. I feel like your one stop shop for parts today!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
I just wanted to see if anyone knows where to get a hold of a modern replacement for this BOSS 302 side pipe grommet (P/N 5C3Z17C431AA). I can't find anything that will fit and I've been resorting to try to build one myself from a tube of rubber that I purchased. I think it is going to work OK ... but it has been much more difficult than I anticipated.

First I tried silicone rubber b/c I thought it'd need good heat resistance. It clearly was the wrong material and I had hell cutting/sanding it to shape. I ended up wasting it all experimenting (although I did finally find a fair way to cut it...). Then I moved on to a side pipe grommet for some type of classic car that I found online. I think it was the right material (just plain ole rubber I think) but it wasn't quite the right size. I cut it to shape but the grommet channel was in the wrong place. When I tried to trim it down it got destroyed as well. Finally I'm down to a suspension bushing I found at my local auto hobby shop. It just happened to be the right size and shape. I beefed up the hole in the center and then I had to cut the grommet channel from scratch. It isn't quite done yet but I don't think it'll work well b/c the rubber is significantly harder than the original material (and hard to sand!)... but this one looks like it'll work and I'll at least have something to use on a temporary basis.

My next step is to try to get some custom made by a rubber manufacturer.

If anyone has any spares or if you have a recommendation for a good replacement, I'd really appreciate the help. The old ones are destroyed and cause the side pipes to rattle underneath the car at high speeds or on bumpy roads.

If I do end up having to get it custom made, I'll try to get extras in case anyone else needs them.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
Update: Fabricated grommet works great! It's made out of a VERY old suspension bushing so I don't expect it'll last too long, but it'll do for now.

I made the grommet channel with a Dremel lock cutting bit! The sleeve is something I found online. The old one was trashed. The grommet on the right is the halfway decent one from the other side of the car. It's on the outs too, but it'll last for now.

I'm still gonna need replacements, but at least I can drive the car now.

BTW, I took all of the measurements of the grommet so I can make another one if I need to. If anyone needs this information let me know.

grommets.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
So - today I learned that in order to keep the side pipes from rattling against the underside of the car they have to remain pretty loose. I've adjusted and readjusted and found that the optimal amount of full bolt turns is between 2 to 3! That's really disconcerting considering that if that bolt pops out the side pipes will fall onto the ground! I used some blue Loctite to be safe, but that caused me another headache because at first it stuck to the bushing sleeve (which has apparently become threaded under heat/pressure). So I put some oil in the bushing sleeve and made sure the bushing itself was clean. These side pipes are a pain in the ass. I'm gonna do my best to keep them though.

Anyway, on the grommet side, I've been able to find a rubber manufacturer who will make some for me. I'll update when I get my first batch. If anyone wants any let me know. I've designed them slightly on the bigger side for fitment (and to stop the damned rattling) and I'm hoping to get them a little harder too so they'll last longer...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel