The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

side pipe ticking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
I have an issue where it sounds like the side pipes make a ticking noise when the car is warm and moving. It doesn't happen at idle or hard throttle but seems to happen when I am at part throttle in traffic or moving in a parking lot. Has anyone else noticed this sound? It sounds like an old catalytic converter used to sound when they got hot but goes away when I either press on the gas or let off....

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
my stock one would buzz only at certain rpms and throttle input...looked like it was not touching anywhere. I ended up spacing it down with a 1/8" spacer on the passenger side...problem gone.

BLAZN BOSS

do you have your defrost or ac on?...........if so turn them off and see if it changes

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Nope, no defroster or AC on. It only happens when the car is warm and I am part throttle. I did remove the plates on the side exhaust. Is there a trick to re-installing the side pipes after removal of the plates? I'm wondering if its a positional deal.

John

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
jneary said:
Nope, no defroster or AC on. It only happens when the car is warm and I am part throttle. I did remove the plates on the side exhaust. Is there a trick to re-installing the side pipes after removal of the plates? I'm wondering if its a positional deal.

John

I try to clock the 2 bolt flange the same way it was stock. It usually involves supporting at the flat elbow while tightening the flange bolts.

I just removed the side pipe plates yesterday... and I started hearing a ticking this morning. I tried my best to reinstall the pipes as they were before, but I guess I will have to mess with them again later.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Hmmm, didn't think that it was touching anything when I re-installed. Ah, since I just got my trans cooler in the mail yesterday, sounds like some time up in the air to install that this weekend and I can have a look at the side pipes!

Thanks guys!!!

John

My drivers side side pipe seams to have a slight rattle after I removed the plates. I'm used to driving fox bodies, so it doesn't bother me a whole lot lol.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Yep, the pipes tend to droop when you pull the plates out. Funny but mine werent touching anything that I could see but when I re-aligned them, the clicks went away. You have to be sure to line up the plates at the connection to the midpipe. Sounds great again....

Thanks for all the feedback.

Hey all I just had my dealer fix this for me ( I think it's the same problem- it's pretty common) while I was getting flashed - I read elsewhere about the issue and it's a problem with the rubber bushing cutting into the frame mount on the side exhaust. I took mine out and spun it around and there was the cut - took some 3m 33 and threw a few wraps on it and jammed in back in - no more tick/rattle, had the dealer put in a new one and kept the old for a spare, cause I think it's going to happen again without a somewhat harder durometer bushing.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Hmmmm, another thing to check. I did tighten those up while I was under there but they looked OK. Maybe they split when the pipes were in droop mode...

I will check that out.

Thanks!!!!

John

TMO Supporting Vendors