The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Side pipes and sound check at the track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For years, I have been concerned that my side pipes will direct additional noise toward the microphone when I go through sound check (96db @ 50ft) at my local track events. The rest of my exhaust setup is stock ('11 GT500).

Pre track day, I've installed blocking plates on the side pipes and call it good. Although it doesn't take much time, I have inadvertently shifted the pipes, causing noise (rattle) or low point (scrapes). Tough to get a good view of the alignment on jack stands.

After I got some work done earlier this year, my exhaust system is aligned perfectly, so I'd like to skip blocking the side pipes this season.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on this. Does running side pipes increase the possibility of getting flagged or does that not really have an impact the db-level? Any alternatives to the blocking plates, where I wouldn't have the unbolt the side pipes?

It shouldn’t be an issue realigning the side pipes. I forget which side it is but one side will vibrate on the floor pan of its too close. Passenger side maybe. Anyway a fingers worth of clearance is all that’s needed. You could use a small piece of wood as a spacer while you’re tightening up the bolts. This is assuming your using the FP or stock Boss side pipes.

Thanks for the suggestions. So I'm getting the sense it is important to plug up the side pipes during sound check.

I like the idea of a drilled pilot hole on the flange with a pin of some sorts to line everything up.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel