The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

side splitters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
908ssp said:
The plates at the front of the rockers have nothing to do with this thread. I made those to pull the ends of the K members back in place after I bent them up by putting a jack stand at the end of the K member...So Don't Do That. They started out an inch thick or maybe more there is quiet a bit of mill work on the top side you can't see to make them strong but lighter than they look.

I am making some jack blocks for the rear they will attach right on the rocker near the factory jack points and extend down 1/4" just enough so I can use a flat plate to jack the car up and not put pressure on the side skirts. I'll show you when I am done.
Wow! Very elegant, but simple solution. I'm impressed. Very nice work. I love the splitters too, but your entire creative solution makes this whole thing work. Look forward to seeing the rear pressure plates when you get those done.

MMD

boss2511 said:
guy in this tread made a hockey puck into a great pad to use for jacking the car up.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/283697-pinch-weld-jacking-problem-solved-pictures-3.html

I have a couple of those, I'm not sure I would recommend it. It transfers too much of the pressure to two points right above the ring on the jack and has slightly damaged the pinches on my E30 and other cars. A piece of 2x4 works a lot better, if you cut it longer, as it transfers the force more evenly. It is good enough for a car you don't really care if it gets a little beat up but don't want it to get mangled, but not good enough for something you want to keep tip top.

Of you have a jack with a larger cup, and the puck fits inside it completely (like a bigger "race" jack) so the bottom is on a flat piece then it works good, assuming it is thick enough to prevent the cup it is sitting in from hitting the pinches.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
boss2511 said:
guy in this tread made a hockey puck into a great pad to use for jacking the car up.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/283697-pinch-weld-jacking-problem-solved-pictures-3.html

I have a couple of those, I'm not sure I would recommend it. It transfers too much of the pressure to two points right above the ring on the jack and has slightly damaged the pinches on my E30 and other cars. A piece of 2x4 works a lot better, if you cut it longer, as it transfers the force more evenly. It is good enough for a car you don't really care if it gets a little beat up but don't want it to get mangled, but not good enough for something you want to keep tip top.

Of you have a jack with a larger cup, and the puck fits inside it completely (like a bigger "race" jack) so the bottom is on a flat piece then it works good, assuming it is thick enough to prevent the cup it is sitting in from hitting the pinches.
I have a craftsman jack the all alum one that is one pump the saddle. I hate that jack

I have a little tiny one from Ace that has a carrying case for the track, and a second tiny one from Ace for use around the house. Unfortunately the saddle height is too high so I had to pull the cotter pin and remove the saddle to clear the front of the Boss and then I use a 1x4 on top of it. The rear I use a 2x4 since it fits.

The hockey puck works ok if you make the notch deep enough that the shoulder hits the shoulder around the pinch. But 2x4 is probably better.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
so these would be the easiest option?
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-jacking-plates.html

I dont have wood tools to go start fabing a jacking pad.

I would just use a piece of wood, the pinch weld will dig its own hole. I have a few cut to 8-12" long depending how much room I have, and that is big enough to slide the jack stand up next to the jack on the piece of wood. Just don't use a thin 1x4 on the pinches or it may crack.

TMO Supporting Vendors