The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Signature Track Day Feature - Hot Rod Network

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Excited and humbled to share that our most recent Signature Wheel Track Day was featured by Hot Rod Network! Thanks to photographer and writer, Brett Turnage, who made this happen year has been full of many awesome opportunities, and we look forward to all those to come. Be sure to check out the link to the article below that includes a description of the event and a full photo gallery.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/fabulous-fords-track-day-party-willow-springs-raceway/

Below is a little something I scratched out to share as well.

They say the third time is the charm, and I would have to agree. The April 15, 2019, Signature Wheel Private Track event featuring Griggs Racing and the Ford Performance Racing School marks our third successful event since 2018. Overall, this event at Willow Springs was one of our best. In April 2018, we got our feet wet at Buttonwillow, then went back for round two at Thunderhill Raceway Park in October. Each track brought its own set of challenges, weather, equipment needs, and lessons learned. Using all of that knowledge and feedback from the participants was integral to making this Willow Springs event a success.

Part-1-1.jpgPart-1-2.jpgPart-1-3.jpgPart-1-4.jpg

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
In previous events, we had anywhere from 50-75 cars in attendance and brought enthusiasts from as far away as Canada. Managing an event effectively takes a lot of forethought and planning, which gets compounded with the more cars you have. With a field of approximately 40 cars this time around, it was nice to get the chance to talk to most enthusiasts in attendance one on one. Bringing together drivers from Northern California, Southern California and as far away as Utah. As important as it is to have fast cars in attendance, our goal is to establish a family environment and build relationships with those around us. Having a better understanding of what goes into running a track event, I found myself in a better position to step back from managing logistics and enjoying the experience.

Part-2-1.jpgPart-2-2.jpgPart-2-3.jpgPart-2-4.jpgPart-2-5.jpg

A key point to the success of this event, and all others, has been the willingness for those in attendance to assist one another. More than a few advanced level drivers stepped up to assist with instruction of beginners, conducting lead follow, answering tech questions, and being all around helpful when needed. Track staff made several comments about how safe and considerate drivers were in each of the run groups. Enthusiasts in attendance mentioned how the event was a blast and one of the best organized track days they had been to. Drivers coming out with us for the third time felt this had more of an atmosphere of a family BBQ, as opposed to being out with strangers. Hearing the excitement from one of our beginner enthusiasts as he told a story of improving his first lap time of the day by 10 seconds lets me know that motorsports will continue as long as we all step up and step out to bring others into it.

Part-3-1.jpgPart-3-2.jpgPart-3-3.jpgPart-3-4.jpgPart-3-5.jpg

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
I’d like to thank all the enthusiast that attended and spent the day with us. Thank Robert Gluckman for taking some awesome photographs. Thank the Willow Springs track staff for letting us use the facility. Thank Bruce Griggs and his team at Griggs Racing for bringing some beautiful cars and great people. And thank Dan McKeever and the Ford Performance Racing School for bringing their FP350S all the way from Utah to attend the event and interact with enthusiasts. Enjoy the photos below, and I encourage any of those in attendance to share theirs as well.

Part-4-1.jpgPart-4-2.jpgPart-4-3.jpgPart-4-4.jpgPart-4-5.jpgPart-4-6.jpg

Our next event will be the Hallowed Ground Track Day, Saturday, October 19, 2019, with the Ford Performance Racing School at Utah Motorsports Campus. Registration is limited to 60 cars maximum. Should you find yourself interested in attending this, or one of our future track events, please send an email to me at [email protected] so I can establish a list of enthusiasts to contact.

Part-5-1.jpgPart-5-2.jpgPart-5-3.jpgPart-5-4.jpgPart-5-5.jpg

Nice article and congratulations on a successful event. I was hoping you were going to run Thunderhill again in the Fall. Not sure if I'll make the Utah event.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Nice article and congratulations on a successful event. I was hoping you were going to run Thunderhill again in the Fall. Not sure if I'll make the Utah event.
Thunderhill was one of my favorite events and tracks. I wanted to catch up with the FPRS at UMC before they make their next move, so that drove me to pick that location next.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
My neighbour has a Type R (his 2nd one) and he can wheel a car, has been racing all his life. At last Friday's Mosport track day my mostly stock engined car (PP2 is the only engine mod) put 8-10 lengths on him up the straight and was quicker in the corners as well, probably 2-3 seconds a lap quicker. I was not getting anywhere near my PB it was kind of a cool not grippy day.
I thought that the Type R was closer than that on the straight but he said not, that lengths behind estimation was his.
There was also a very heavily decaled Focus RS there, no idea about the driver but it did not seem fast anywhere.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
My neighbour has a Type R (his 2nd one) and he can wheel a car, has been racing all his life. At last Friday's Mosport track day my mostly stock engined car (PP2 is the only engine mod) put 8-10 lengths on him up the straight and was quicker in the corners as well, probably 2-3 seconds a lap quicker. I was not getting anywhere near my PB it was kind of a cool not grippy day.
I thought that the Type R was closer than that on the straight but he said not, that lengths behind estimation was his.
There was also a very heavily decaled Focus RS there, no idea about the driver but it did not seem fast anywhere.

Interesting!...My stock 16 RS was very competitive on track. ( especially with the Cup2's ) I'm excited to get the Boss out to Calabogie and Shannonville this summer to get a comparison between the two.!!:D I guess all those decals were slowing him down!! HeHe.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
When you say Utah , are you referring to the Ford Performance Racing School ?
I did the RS Adrenaline Academy there. It's such a nice facility !!
I will probably go back some day for the Mustang School.
That is exactly what I mean. Going to be fun being back out there and getting to drive my own car.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
Seems like a fantastic event, Terrance! I hope I can make it to one of your track days one day and add to those from as far away as Canada!

TMO Supporting Vendors