The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Silly Brake Caliper Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
12x1.75 is the timecert set I bought to replace a stripped out caliper thread.
Agree, get that locktite out of there, and don't use it.
Might need to wire brush it off of the bolts too. If you can't get them clean, go to a John Deere dealer and they can look up the bolts by diameter, pitch and length for a flange head bolt. That's what I did. If you do this the bolts will use a 18mm wrench (I think the stock bolts are 15mm wrench)

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Why not? The factory W710233-S439 bolts come with locktite-type stuff on them. And for about $1.50 a piece, why even risk reusing them?

Unless you live in Canada, in which case they cost $4.24 apiece. I just picked up 8 yesterday - $33.92 plus 13% tax. It's great to live in Canada where the buck is 70% of a real buck and is soon to become even more worthless.
But seriously, how does $1.50 apiece become $4.24 apiece, even when the $4.24 is a junk buck? Ford doing a little gouging?

Thanks for the replies to my "silly" question :) I picked up a tap and cleaned out the threads but alas it was too late......one of the threads on each caliper are shot :mad: I have a new set of calipers (they are so pretty) and will be switching them out soon. When I install them I will not use any locktite and make sure to not over torque them. I believe that switching out rotors from street to track use over the years has caused this problem and hopefully this new "procedure" will keep this from happening again ;)

Now for another silly question 😲 is there anyone out there that offers a rebuilding service and thread repair replacement of these Brembo calipers :rolleyes:

Man, these faces are awesome.....................:cool:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
What kind of solvent will take the pre-installed loctite out of a new set of bolts? Or do you just wire brush it out? And is there a difference between what the guy uses in the video and a helicoil? Been a while since I put a helicoil in something so maybe this is new and better?

I had some new caliper bolts from Ford with the locktite already on them, had some denatured alcohol that I filled a cup with and dropped the bolts in to soak overnight, next morning the locktite came right off.

My father was a machinist and had a shop like that in the video, wish he was still alive, he would have loved to have fixed my calipers, and of course lecture me on how I screwed them up....

Now I need to find a machine shop like this one....wish me luck!

I had some new caliper bolts from Ford with the locktite already on them, had some denatured alcohol that I filled a cup with and dropped the bolts in to soak overnight, next morning the locktite came right off.

My father was a machinist and had a shop like that in the video, wish he was still alive, he would have loved to have fixed my calipers, and of course lecture me on how I screwed them up....

Now I need to find a machine shop like this one....wish me luck!

actually, you could do that with a counter mounted drill press, you don't need a mill for that.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I'm glad I came across this thread. I've been reapplying blue locktite on the caliper bolts every time I change my pads/rotors because the OEM bolts came with it so I figured it was good practice to keep that trend going.
This will save a bit of time too 👍

Edit: then why does Ford put the locktite on the bolts? For your every day consumer? Ready to learn 🤓

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Edit: then why does Ford put the locktite on the bolts? For your every day consumer? Ready to learn

Good question & only a Ford Engineer would know for sure.

But in thinking about my days with other manufacturers we would cover the 1st brake pad replacement under the vehicles 36 month / 36,000 mile warranty. The cost for pad/brake claims was very minimal in the overall scheme of warranty cost.

Perhaps they have blue lock tight on the caliper bolts because they see 40,000 plus miles before the everyday consumer has to replace brake pads?

Problem with this for track cars is that we might see only a few hundred miles before pad replacement & it just builds up in the threads?

Just not sure of the exact reason, but I’m pretty confident that you touched upon it with the term ‘everyday consumer’.

Just a thought.

What kind of solvent will take the pre-installed loctite out of a new set of bolts? Or do you just wire brush it out? And is there a difference between what the guy uses in the video and a helicoil? Been a while since I put a helicoil in something so maybe this is new and better?

the type of threadcert used in the video won't peel itself out of the caliper at the worst possible moment and piss you off, that's the really big difference

TMO Supporting Vendors