The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Silver Bullet ... errr, that's taken, soooo Silver Surfer? Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Columbia, TN
So we bought this car used from a dealership out of Kingland GA (btw, that's a long drive to do in one day from south Nashville-ish area). Clean title, two prior owners, should have walked away, but it was my first car and stupid won that day. Pulling out of the lot the thing went into limp mode, mind you this was like sign number 22, took it to "their" shop down the road, diagnosed it for a few hours and the shop guy thought it was a bad throttle body. Said it was super dirty and the plate was actually sticking (gosh I wish I could have verified that with my own eyes, but I was busy sitting and eating lunch thinking logically like "I should just walk away from this deal, there's others"). Got it running and drove home no issues... for about a week. Happened again and ordered an Accu-Fab F84.5 tb, then splurged with the Boss 302 intake manifold to go along with the JLT series II cai I had put on almost immediately cause the air filter was dirty (that's what I told my wife). When Pop and I started installing all of these important and necessary parts we found the culprit... a loose pin and another that simply wouldnt' stay in on the 6 wire inline needless plug Ford uses to make their production line more efficient ...pfft! which attaches the throttle body plug. Yeah, it'd just fall out! Oh well, better install these performance parts just incase !

There were quite a few other bogus items:
  • I found like the evap return line that was melted through and repaired with a carefully tubularized (word?) application of electrical tape ("that'll do" mentality for the WIN).
  • Then I realized there's this whole length of wire running along the fuel rail on the passenger side... that just looped back with one of the worst inline solder jobs known to man kind.
Speaking of soldering. I fixed that stupid 6 wire connector by eliminating it (showed that sucker who's boss) and soldering the wires. Now that it's soldered it's like being married, it's permanent. Taught my son (not pictured) and my nephew (pictured) how to solder! Pretty neat to get the young ones involved, then they were like "wow, this is really cool, now I can solder things in my airsoft guns!" ... and I'm like "Yeah, but cars."! I know people say don't solder lines, they'll break... well, I did shrink wrap on each of the 6 wires and then shrink wrap over all 6 connections so they can't vibrate and crack.

Got a tune from a place down in New Smyrna FL and they can't figure out how to get the throttle to respond smooth and seamless. So, gonna have Shaun at AED fix that... hopefully soon. It's really hard to slip the clutch when the throttle plays pretend.

20210718_154604.jpg

20210711_181736.jpg

20210711_181732.jpg

20210710_201724.jpg

20210710_144412.jpg

20210710_110437.jpg

20210710_084442.jpg

IMG_5933.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well Mr. Peanut it looks like you are out of our shell, and on the long and loving road modding your Mustang mistress. You said it first, but I do believe you are on the way to a marriage of modding for life. Welcome to the party and do remember to kiss her goodnight!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Columbia, TN
Ha! Thanks Bill!

To keep the story going and get up to date... Ford Fest was coming and driving a Mustang that had a prolonged bob in the front end after hitting road bumps just wasn't cool (not quite Uncle Buck, but it was getting there). I just happened to find The Drive's video on YouTube where they featured the Maximum Motorsports White Mustang ... my first thought was "Oh dang, I gotta get this car handling like that!" Called up and talked with Mike over there and parts were on the way. To my dismay, I have no pictures (shame). Installed their Road and Track Grip Box kit... kinda. Opted to go with J&M rear lower control arms and adjustable panhard bar with the spherical bearing on the axle side and the poly bushing body side, Eibach front anti-sway bar, the MM springs, Koni yellows, the improved bump stops, front Control Arm poly rear bushing, the MM caster/camber plates, MM relocation brackets. So much fun installing all of this until... doh! 1 wrong front strut was shipped (of course this was found at midnight)... missed Ford Fest. Mike was on it though, super nice guy, shipped out the correct one next day air and I finished the build the following week when I got back from FF.

Currently running Nitto NT555-G2 - 275 / 40 R19

One question... The Eibach front sway bar; suggestions on which hole to run when? and currently I am in the middle hole and have the adjustable end link fully shortened up and everything clears, no binding... assuming that's right too...?

Next up, clutch!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
With your set up it might be good to call Mike back again, it sounds like you are an M&M advertising billboard. I suggest you do your numbers in M&M colors , peanut of course, not plain. Heh, it works for Mr. Peanut and you could even give out packages of M&Ms when at the track --- you will be super popular, ha!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors