Sim Racing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Paddock' started by ArizonaBOSS, Jun 20, 2018.

1. kitsune1324

kitsune1324 TMO Beginner

I hate to be that guy, but would you mind posting the measurements you took? Yours looks a LOT nicer and customizable than most all of the other 80/20 setups I've seen.

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  2. captdistraction

captdistraction Not necessarily the Stig

For that cost you could have sourced a mustang floorboard and sliced down to fit :)

DocWalt, ArizonaBOSS and VoodooBoss like this.
  3. mattlqx

mattlqx Mustangless

Please invite me over when this is operational for some H2H.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  4. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

Sure, give me some time to re-draw it and clean up the dimensions a bit.
    Here was the original "plan" to chew on a bit in the meantime, however.
    All of the fasteners need to be revised, as I went a total different direction with most of those compared to what I thought I would do originally.

[​IMG]

5. ArizonaBOSS

Yessir. Might try and test it tonight. Waiting on some long USB extension cables...

6. Drlee50

Drlee50 TMO Advanced

7. ArizonaBOSS

Got all my stuff up and running but fighting through some issues with my wheel base (may be USB 3.0 vs. 2.0 related). Once I get that licked I will move to solidifying my setup. However the VR demos and the limited amount of Project Cars 2 that I have been able to play are VERY cool looking.

DocWalt likes this.
  8. Drlee50

Drlee50 TMO Advanced

Im jealous!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

9. ArizonaBOSS

OK, I re-arranged some of my USB inputs and added a powered, external USB hub--that seems to have cured my hardware issues! Screwed around with Project Cars 2 a little last night and this morning, will load up iRacing in a couple weeks after some work travel...

ss082302.jpg ss082051.jpg ss185205.jpg

Drlee50 and TymeSlayer like this.
  10. The_Dead_Cow

The_Dead_Cow Mike

Looks like fun!

I'm pretty sure 80/20 is a euphemism for expensive af, although it should make for a really nice sim rig.

DocWalt and ArizonaBOSS like this.
  11. Drlee50

Drlee50 TMO Advanced

FINALLY MADE THE JUMP!
    Fanatec ClubSport Wheel and CSL Elite Steering wheel and the Elite pedals should arrive tomorrow (Wednesday)!!!!! Had to also order a PCI- USB card because I am out of USB ports! between the oculus and all its sensors and my kids gaming mouse and keyboard and speakers and wireless headphone crap and the wifi hub, i am out! NEWEGG FTW!
    I got a cheaper rig for now-- its a GT Omega Art racing sim cockpit frame with no seat. I am going to put my BOSS 302 driver seat on it! LOL I have a race seat in the car so what the hell, might as well get some use out of the Boss seat! The rig arrives on Friday. So you can imagine the weekend I will be getting it up and running. I already joined iRacing and have my Oculus rift ready to go. BTW-- did you all see the new Graphics cards that were released this week??? The GTX 2080Ti??? looks to be bad ass!!! But at $1200 for the founders edition, I am hoping the GTX 1080Ti's drop in price and I can upgrade from my 1060 for cheap. I do have 2 4K monitors and the 3rd arrives on Thursday so a 4K GC would be nice. So, anyone upgrading to the 2080....and dumping your 1080, let me know!!

I moved my gaming computer into the basement this past weekend knowing I was gonna need more room. What I need to do is have the rig set up with the Oculus sensors so that I can sim drive, and my kids can still use the rift standing up and walking around wit the various games they play. So the challenge becomes setting up the sensors. I am not sure exactly the best way to do this. Typically, you would have 2 sensors in the front and the 3rd in the rear corner. If you had to fit a cockpit in the mix, where should it be located in the space? The front? the rear? side?? I plan on mounting all 3 sensors on the ceiling-- its a drop ceiling in the basement so I can do anything I need to. Im not sure how much sensor placement effects the sim game play. Certainly important for the stand up and move around type of games. Anyone else doing double duty with their Oculus/VR sytem? suggestions based on experience?

I am headed to MID OHIO to a 3 day HPDE Aug 31 to Sept 2-- I have never been there-- I really want to get this simulator set up so I can get on the virtual track! I have read that it does help. I have been studying the track and the turn by turn coaching by pros etc, but figured this SIM stuff may come in handy too. Technology--- isnt it just fucking nuts??

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  12. ArizonaBOSS

@Drlee50 iRacing has Mid-O--get some sighting laps in!

BTW my old i7-2700K runs full resolution on Project Cars 2 in VR w/ 1080SC no problems whatsoever. Peak CPU load around 70%.

13. Drlee50

Drlee50 TMO Advanced

I fully expect to have a 1080 by Christmas. MSI and the other resellers will likely have a lower price on the 2080s resulting in some used 1080s hitting the market. Perhaps the price will fall on the new 1080s even.

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  14. ArizonaBOSS

As far as the Oculus sensor placement--shouldn't really matter for the driving sim as long as the sensors have line of sight to your head.
    Your "front" direction can be reset once you launch an application by holding the "Oculus" button on one of the Oculus touch remotes, then looking where you want "straight ahead" to be and choosing "recenter view in app".
    Also in Project Cars 2, I have set my spacebar to "Recenter VR View", so even if it's misaligned when I press "start" on the session, I can quickly snap it to where it needs to be. I would imagine there is a similar feature in iRacing that can be assigned to a given key.

15. Drlee50

Drlee50 TMO Advanced

Thanks for the sensor help!! I will need to fab a keyboard tray as mine doesn't come with one. But i have a welder so shouldn't be too hard.

Happy news- all my shit came today!! (Except the cockpit)
    It's like Christmas!!
    [​IMG]

VoodooBoss and ArizonaBOSS like this.
  16. ArizonaBOSS

Yeah buddy!

I have a cheapie wireless keyboard from Amazon that I place within reach from my sim seat. A dedicated KB tray would be better, as you suggested.

17. ArizonaBOSS

18. Drlee50

Drlee50 TMO Advanced

Got 2 Quick Fill gas cans for the track today as well--
    Hunsaker 11 gallon units!! I calculate that a full fuel tank and 2 of these and I am set for the day of 5 30 minute sessions. Now if I could just got someone to actually lift the 90 lb full gas cans and dump that into my tank every session-- Id be all set. Who knew track days would get you ripped??

Attached Files:

TymeSlayer and ArizonaBOSS like this.
  19. Drlee50

Drlee50 TMO Advanced

The detail on Cars 2 is awesome!!!!

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  20. ArizonaBOSS

Project Cars 2 is like $80 on STEAM for the highest level stuff and there is no monthly fee etc. It is not as much of a "simulator" as iRacing (my guesstimate) but I will find out in the next few weeks (have an iRacing account on loan, just need time to screw with it). But it's pretty good and there are a lot of great tracks and cars.