The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Simple corner balancing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I am just starting to look at corner balancing now. Where I am, it will cost me about 450 bucks to get the car weighed and balanced, will I see a noticeable difference that makes it worth it?? Or better am I better off saving the money for the tire fund??

I had mine corner weighted when CorteX installed my new suspension components. I don't know if it made a difference or not but I wanted it setup properly so I did it. It's a lot cheaper to have done here than in Chile that's for sure!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Road racing is only just starting up again here in Chile after being dormant for 20 years. Not many shops that have real know how. As far as goals....I have a friends camaro thats almost completely race prepped thats just about the fastest rear drive car in our series. Its fully stripped down and is about 1.5s ahead of me. He is running R6's and I am on thread bare Nittos. Installing my 305/660-18 GT-I this week and really would like to be the fastest RWD car. Would corner balancing give me an extra advantage??

If corner balancing is really a must do item we can pool together down here to get a scale setup. Not much of a businesses opportunity since only about 4 cars I know of are are balanced... :eek:!

Corner balance is very important. You need a cross weight as close to 50% as possible or you will stress the suspension, over wear the tires and lose time in the corners If your cross weight is outside of 48-52%.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
For that much money I'd buy the scales and do it myself.

The 'best' way to balance IMO is by correcting or relocating weight (like relocating the battery to the trunk or passenger side ballast) first.

OR see Darren's thread about sway bar pre-load.
Here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=9217.25

OR you could just adjust the cross-weight with a "wedge" adjustment at the springs. For example, if you lower the driver front and passenger rear perches by inverse proportional amounts (same jacking weight) then you shift the cross weight without changing the stance.

If you get you car weighed with driver ballast, and give me the car specs, I can help you with the adjustments to make. Weighing twice has got to be cheaper than $450!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel