The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

skip shift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey guys, not to sound clueless... what's skip shift? i searched around but couldn't find a clear answer or that im just too dumb to comprehend the feature :-[

does Boss have this feature? if so, is it possible to get rid of it and still keep the warranty? i haven't had anything intervene just yet. this is just for future reference. thanks for the help guys!

It is a fuel saving feature and is found on the Boss. When you are accelerating at a slower pace it will lock 2nd gear out and go straight to 4th. It will also light up on the dash info screen letting you know it is on. If you are driving the Boss like it wants to be driven you may never see this but when you do it is noticeable. In my neighborhood with the city speed limits my shift pattern is many times 1-4-6.

Trackey disables the feature and you can disconnect the solenoid that activates it by unplugging it at the transmission housing.

On mine, I haven't encountered the lock out. I have seen the screen flash but the shifter wasn't locked out. In my GM cars, it worked as advertised, but for some reason, in the B302 it doesn't work like it's supposed to.

Dark Horse

2012 BOSS 302 LS 541
POS VETT said:
On mine, I haven't encountered the lock out. I have seen the screen flash but the shifter wasn't locked out. In my GM cars, it worked as advertised, but for some reason, it doesn't work like it's supposed to.

It doesn't lock you out, it redirects you into the 4th gate. It smooth enough that if you are not paying attention you might miss that it even happened, just that you are in a lower RPM range than you expected.

MLM

Mike
POS VETT said:
On mine, I haven't encountered the lock out. I have seen the screen flash but the shifter wasn't locked out. In my GM cars, it worked as advertised, but for some reason, in the B302 it doesn't work like it's supposed to.

It's working, but it's very unobtrusive, which is a good thing. Most of the time it will let you into second even when the message comes on. The skip shift is only engaged for a fraction of a second. You've got to time it just right, so its pretty easy to avoid.

I am glad I saw this thread because here in L.A. traffick it has happened to me a few times and I thought something was wrong with the tranny. All is well now and I can sleap well again. It is amazing how many things I have missed from driving a Focus for tooooo long!

I guess it's because of my driving pattern why it hasn't intervened. I always baby the first, and as soon as I get going I shift to 2nd...

So if I was to floor in the first gear it won't lock me out of 2nd am I correct?

MLM

Mike
ihatepotholess said:
I guess it's because of my driving pattern why it hasn't intervened. I always baby the first, and as soon as I get going I shift to 2nd...

So if I was to floor in the first gear it won't lock me out of 2nd am I correct?

Yes.

These are the activation conditions:
- Engine coolant above 170F
- Accelerating from a stop
- In, or shifting out of, first gear
- 15 to 19 MPH
- Throttle request is 25% or less
- Engine speed is greater than 900 rpm

If the above conditions are not met or no longer met skip shift is deactivated. This info is from Ford's response to the NHTSA MT82 investigation. Also, in July Ford lengthened the time the telltale message is displayed to aid drivers in identifying that a skip shift event occurred.

MLM said:
ihatepotholess said:

Yes.

These are the activation conditions:
- Engine coolant above 170F
- Accelerating from a stop
- In, or shifting out of, first gear
- 15 to 19 MPH
- Throttle request is 25% or less
- Engine speed is greater than 900 rpm

If the above conditions are not met or no longer met skip shift is deactivated. This info is from Ford's response to the NHTSA MT82 investigation. Also, in July Ford lengthened the time the telltale message is displayed to aid drivers in identifying that a skip shift event occurred.

thanks for the information!

Maui
My wife discovered it for me when i let her drive it. She went from 1st to 4th (without knowing) then to 3rd... She thought she broke the car.. ;D

I still do a fair amount of 1-3-5. 6th is just too much overdrive, and even shifting at 4k there's still room to rev. The 1-1 ratio in 5th seems to work well in a lot of instances. I started do the 1-3-5 when it was new and didn't want to do a lot of shifting to 2nd when it's cold. Nearly 10k miles later it seems to have paid off. Trans works great even when cold.

While I occasionally start in 2nd I usually like shifting through all the gears so I can hear the overrun and burbling while shifting. Especially while using TK. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors