The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 SkySpec Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some images of where SkySpec stands now:
Mods1.jpg
I was one of the first demo-batches for the BMR watts link and got a stupidly low price to try it out. It's still on the car, but I wouldn't suggest it and definitely moving to a Cortex unit. The way it attaches was attractive for when I started wrenching, but now I feel more confident in my skills to make more in-depth modifications.

Mods3.jpg
Blowfish bracket supporting a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. The Steeda shifter was purchased in 2010, back when there really wasn't any other offering available for a short-throw since the engine/trans combination was brand new. I have an MGW on my list of things to get. In view is also the Corsa X-pipe. In combination with the Xtreme axlebacks and an otherwise-stock system it makes a wonderful sporty sound (read: not noise) that is quiet at cruise because of their destructive phase design in the muffler (I work in audio/video media, so I geeked out over how it was accomplished).

The glass roof is probably what most sets it apart from any other GT on the road. I fully understand why it's not ideal for road racing, but... it's great for attaching camera gear!
Mods2.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Love the camera mount shot, as I have never seen that done before and not sure about whether some groups would allow due to safety precautions , but sure is an interesting concept. Beautiful machine and obviously it has been a rewarding father and son project over the past decade. Working and tracking with my son has given me some of the best times of my life and I am sure you can echo that sentiment. Looks like you have plenty of go fast goodies and imagine your next modification is in the area of tires/rims. You can find plenty of info on a couple of Sponsor sites ( Apex and Forgeline ) and there is a convenient link to TireRack that does benefit the site to a small , but very beneficial degree.

Thanks for posting SkySpec! Even though I worked at a extremely large Dealer Family that has three Ford Stores I have never actually seen a glass roofed Mustang! I imagine you get a ton of response at Cars and Coffee or the like, because your Mustang is quite rare and though not a limited edition it's numbers give it the same provenance!

Thanks Bill! I'm glad my Father brought me in on the project from the start, since it has turned into quite the unique experience. The camera mount was a test during an autocross event, but I would only use a significantly smaller action-camera (GoPro, etc) if I was road racing since I agree on the safety concern. I definitely have some Apex SM-10s in 19x11 on my wish list.

Believe it or not, we originally wanted a California Special, but the engineer who designed the CS-specific wheel package didn't draw them to fit the Brembo calipers (which was instantly a no-go) and the dealer was unable to substitute a different wheel package on the order sheet. So we ended up getting a 401A, Accessory Package #5 (to get the pedestal spoiler and side scoops), and the then-California Special (Boss 302 wasn't out yet) front fascia to complete the look. The glass roof is truly special and definitely a favorite of mine, and you're right that it is unique (I've only seen a couple others, mostly due to attending Mustang Week a few times which greatly increases the chances). If I read the take rate report for 2011 correctly, it said there may only be 1,500 other GTs sold with it for that model year.

Last edited:
This is going to be a looong project (so don't expect a flurry of posts), but I've been lucky enough to find some of the more elusive parts I had been searching for.

Grabbed a take-out M-4204-MB Torsen differential with attached 3.73 gears from a 2012 Boss Laguna Seca. Looks very fresh, which is exciting given the price difference between getting one brand new. I plan to keep my 3.55 rear gear ratio and swap it onto the differential carrier. It was basically between the M-4204-MB and M-4204-T31H with its higher 4:1 TBR, but based on Torsen reps saying the MB version was a newer and stronger design, I ended up purchasing that one.
112723.jpg

I wasn't initially aware of the cooling concerns with the MT82, but upon learning more I found a very enticing deal on a used, but otherwise brand new looking Shelby American transmission cooler scoop. We'll see if I need to upgrade cooling even further beyond the addition of this scoop, but I don't think my skill level will end up requiring it. I'm also planning on eventually taking out the MT82 and sending it to Ben Calimer as well as dropping in an upgraded clutch, flywheel, and replacing the short-throw I have now for an MGW. I'm hoping that the switch to the Torsen from the stock Trac-Lok system using clutch plates will also keep the rear differential cooler as well, but I'm also concocting a plan to change the rear differential venting solution with either an existing supplier or making a custom set up.
113407.jpg

After a lot of time digging and calling around, I also found some Shelby GT500 Super Snake rear brake ducts for a garage sale price. These use existing S197 chassis connections in front of the chassis trailing arm mounting point and I'll likely be fabbing a custom bracket to fit with my aftermarket trailing arms. Even from my limited experience I know the rear discs get really hot, even with all traction modes disabled. I do plan on moving up to the GT500's 13.8" rear discs since it's a popular conversion anyways and hopefully these will supplement that effort. I also plan to eventually pick up Vorshlag's S197 front brake deflectors and will vacuum form custom front splitter ramps from ABS sheet to feed the deflectors and integrate them into the existing components.
133438.jpg

I'm still in the collecting/saving phase and looking to make a move in my life where I can get a garage of my own so I can pursue this project further instead of taking up a lift at a friend's house :p. I know it's not of much interest compared to the other builds on the website, but I'll keep updating as I work on it.

TMO Supporting Vendors