The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Slave cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Other than the helper spring that half of us removed, there is a main pedal return spring up there on the clutch pedal tree next to the brake pedal return spring.

Check it to see if it is still in place.

Then check to see if the clutch line got pinched or bent after the trans R&R. That happened once to one of our members.

Hopefully it's something external.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

I just got back from a drive, The peddle didn't do anything thing silly for the first time.. Thinking I got the air out of the system.. It was nice to just drive the car with the new setup. I went to the dark side, Put JRI singles on the rear, Holy cow they are nice !

Tri-bar said:
I went to the dark side, Put JRI singles on the rear, Holy cow they are nice !
I guess so. ;) Any plans for the fronts?

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
302 Hi Pro said:
Other than the helper spring that half of us removed, there is a main pedal return spring up there on the clutch pedal tree next to the brake pedal return spring.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

Dave,

Funny how some have had this issue with the helper spring and others have not. I understand what it is and does but not sure I get why some experience this stuck clutch problem and others do not. Presuming all springs are made alike and perhaps even from the same lot, can you explain this? Once removed, does the spring show any sign of failure or is it some other mechanical failure where the spring sits? Could it be something to do with the way one uses or abuses the clutch? I'm a novice road course guy at best so maybe I still baby the pedal and someone with more experience is more aggressive and therein lies the problem? Don't know but just throwing it out there.

I still haven't completely broken in my new SPEC 2+ clutch and am getting use to the stiffer pedal but still not having any issues with the helper spring.

The main issue with the helper spring is high RPM lockout. It tends to help the clutch at keeping the peddle to the floor with over 7k rpm shifting. Most GT owners will never see this unless tuned for it.

TymeSlayer said:
Dave,

Funny how some have had this issue with the helper spring and others have not. I understand what it is and does but not sure I get why some experience this stuck clutch problem and others do not. Presuming all springs are made alike and perhaps even from the same lot, can you explain this? Once removed, does the spring show any sign of failure or is it some other mechanical failure where the spring sits? Could it be something to do with the way one uses or abuses the clutch? I'm a novice road course guy at best so maybe I still baby the pedal and someone with more experience is more aggressive and therein lies the problem? Don't know but just throwing it out there.

I still haven't completely broken in my new SPEC 2+ clutch and am getting use to the stiffer pedal but still not having any issues with the helper spring.

I also have the Spec stage 2+, its a wicked clutch.. I've beat the living snot out of it - slipped it on purpose with slicks many times at the drag strip from 5000 rpm, roasted it downshifting over and over, slipped it to get traction coming out of a corner, its bullet proof. I went with the alu flywheel and billet pressure plate option. I still have the factory Throw out bearing / slave cylinder combo - never touched it. clutch is a bit heavy vs. stock, and it engages a little close to the floor - the factory slave cylinder does not move quite far enough and needs a shim. ahh well.

very nice part!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel