The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Slaying the dragon. 129 Deals Gap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am going to run the new boss on the dragon tomorrow and Saturday. Anybody in this area or not that wants to go we can meet up somewhere. If you live around east Tennessee or are an ole biker you know the place I'm talking about . If not give me a shout out or look it up on the web. I would like some more bosses to show up. All you racing guys could give me some tips on suspension adjustments. It's 318 curves in 11 miles and no room for error. Shocks are set on 2 now but any recommendations on where I should be? Traction control on or off?

I've read about it before and it looks like a fun road. If you're going to run fast and it's smooth I'd go 5 and 5 on the shocks and back off the rears from there as needed. At a minimum go sport mode on the TC or turn it off. Have fun!

I have been meaning to try out the Dragon for years, I have a friend down there who does it all the time. You should have a blast, but I'm sure you know that already.

I luv this forum. Thanks for the info. I will give that a try. Yes it is very fun as long as nobody gets hurt. They have the tree of shame at the end of the run. It's a huge tree full of biker parts from accidents. Some say RIP and a name and date. The tree is covered. Mostly people that ride faster than there experience level.

I've been there numerous times albeit on two wheels, so a I have a few suggestions. Don't speed as the TN state police are heavy during the weekends. Drive what's called the loop, a combination of the tail of the dragon, the cherohala skyway and a few roads that connect the two.
They have more info here
http://tailofthedragon.com/
and here http://www.killboy.com/
I prefer staying in Robbinsville, NC as It's not as populated or as much of a tourist trap as the larger cities just to the North. Pigeon Forge/ Gatlingburg TN.

Find out where the troopers are and don't speed in those areas. I have seen them hiding in trees and radio ahead to another trooper that will flag you over and give you a ticket. There is basicly nothing to see as far a scenery goes except for the first pull off overlooking the river. Even if there was something to see you are too busy driving to look up. The loop is great fun because the cherohala has long sweeping curves which are great on two wheels or in a car. The scenery on the cherohala is amazing with lots of pull offs and rest areas . It ends up in tellico plains. Lots to see on the cherohala especially if you head towards bald river falls. As for the dragon, it is one of the most dangerous stretches of road with all the bikers and cars crossing the yellow line. I have had several friends die on this road and many more injured. With all that said it is a blast to drive on two wheels or a sports car. A good place to test yourself and your machine and meet some interesting people and nice rides from all over the world.

Being from KY, we know the Dragon, and yes I too have lost a buddy on the this road. Never been on it, would love to see TN run a one way weekend, shut it down and charge people to drive it! I would like to meet some other Boss people there for a run. Driving to the top of the Smokeys is good drive also.

Steve said:
I am going to run the new boss on the dragon tomorrow and Saturday. Anybody in this area or not that wants to go we can meet up somewhere. If you live around east Tennessee or are an ole biker you know the place I'm talking about . If not give me a shout out or look it up on the web. I would like some more bosses to show up. All you racing guys could give me some tips on suspension adjustments. It's 318 curves in 11 miles and no room for error. Shocks are set on 2 now but any recommendations on where I should be? Traction control on or off?

I didn't see this post until it was to late to join you. Did you get any photos or video?

TMO Supporting Vendors