The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Slicks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone tried running slicks on their Boss yet? I am thinking of trying a set for track days but am wondering if the Boss suspension can handle the lateral grip without grenading the rubber bushings.

Does the Boss 302S come stock with slicks??? ;)

Gary
It will interesting to hear how the slicks work out. I had a chance to take a ride in an 11 Steeda GT with the NT01's (not slicks, I know) and the kid could drive, lots of fun. How much are the Hoosiers and what size can you get? Any other brands out there?

There are Michelin, Pirelli, Yokohama, Goodyear and Hoosier as far as I know. I'm told Hoosier makes the Continentals. I'm looking at these Hoosiers possibly for my 18 x 9.5 and 18 x 10.5 wheels:

http://www.racetires.com/shop/category/road-racing-slicks/road-racing-slicks-radial/

Fronts: http://www.racetires.com/shop/43840-road-racing-slicks-radial/

Rears: http://www.racetires.com/shop/43857-295660r18-road-racing-slicks-radial/

For track work slicks would make sense. Just out of curiosity, what happens if it rains? Do you just bring a dry and wet set then for all track days and change out if necessary?

Slicks and rain don't mix. Of course neither do most R-comp tires since most have 6/32 or less tread to start and after a few sessions that goes down quickly. I personally don't run in the rain. You can go faster on most highways than you can in the rain on r-comp tires or slicks. Running in the rain is for real races where everyone's under the same conditions. For me just going out for HPDE and looking to have fun and improve your personal lap times, it's just not worth it because you can't really push it. Your best option if you want to run in the rain is to just throw your street tires in the trailer/truck and put them on.

Forget about the slicks for now. You need to take the sames tires you used to set your fast lap in the GT500 and put them on the Boss and see if you can beat it. ;D Inquiring mines want to know. :D

I was on R888 305/35/18 & 275/35/daysin the GT500. With the price on R888s these days I'll probably just go with another set of 555RIIs for now. :D. I still need to try out my R6s on the 302S wheels. Probably at BIR in a couple weeks.

Looking at my worn out Nittos, I could use a little more camber. I'm just not sure which c/c plates to use. I see that J&M has one listed for the Boss in addition to MMs. Looking into it.

cloud9 said:
I was on R888 305/35/18 & 275/35/daysin the GT500. With the price on R888s these days I'll probably just go with another set of 555RIIs for now. :D. I still need to try out my R6s on the 302S wheels. Probably at BIR in a couple weeks.

Gary
Since the 555 II's on come in 3 sizes can the 18's be used without clearance issues? I mean did you do anything special to the car so they did not rub or can anyone just bolt them on, I know you have made some changes. Would they work for example on these 18x10/18x9 rims?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-1007CBB/2005-11-Mustang-Black-Sve-Anniversary-Wheel-18X10

I received the rims and tires today, I will put them on and post some pics in a few days when the rotors arrive.
th_CIMG1383.png
th_CIMG1384.png
th_CIMG1385.png

cloud9 said:
Looking at my worn out Nittos, I could use a little more camber. I'm just not sure which c/c plates to use. I see that J&M has one listed for the Boss in addition to MMs. Looking into it.

Yeah, I will probably go with the MM plates. They were one of my primary sponsors when I raced American Iron. They build great products and have great support. Just sent them an email to make sure they will fit the Boss.

How much more camber do you think you will need? Hate to go much more than 2 degrees and still drive it on the street.

Dean#4AI said:
How much more camber do you think you will need? Hate to go much more than 2 degrees and still drive it on the street.
Good question and not sure how much I can get with plates anyway. I looked at the tires again. The inside edge just has a slight amount of tread left on the fronts and the rest is a slick with a corded edge on one of the fronts so I'm not really that far off. Negative 2 degrees would probably be about right. That's what I had on the GT500 and it wore evenly. I actually corded the inside of my R6s on that car. The rears actually have more tread on the inside edge than the front so on the next set I might flip them on the rim after a couple track days to extend the life since we can't get any camber back there.

That's the problem with going more than 2 is street driving. I'm still hesitant to add the plates since it still drives great on the street with no noise and isn't pulling all over with the ruts in the road like my GT500 does.

I'd be curious to hear what MM thinks they can get you for total camber. When I read their product description it said 1.6 degrees of adjustment from factory. Not sure if that's in addition to the -0.95 we have stock?

I just went ahead and ordered another set of 555RIIs for now. I'll make sure to try the R6s in Brainerd, but if anyone does try some slicks...even takeoffs....I want to know! :D

cloud9 said:
I just went ahead and ordered another set of 555RIIs for now. I'll make sure to try the R6s in Brainerd, but if anyone does try some slicks...even takeoffs....I want to know! :D

Gary
Don't know if you saw my question about the 555 II's. Do they fit just fine or do you special offset rims and other changes? They are pretty wide compared to the stock tires, correct.

2012Boss said:
Gary
Since the 555 II's on come in 3 sizes can the 18's be used without clearance issues? I mean did you do anything special to the car so they did not rub or can anyone just bolt them on, I know you have made some changes. Would they work for example on these 18x10/18x9 rims?
The 285s require a 9.5-11.0" rim per Nittos specs so that 18 x 9 rim is too narrow to work effectively. You could probably mount the tire but I don't think it's that effective (or necessarily safe) to run tires on rims smaller than the mfr suggests. The tire will just bulge and your actual contact patch gets reduced so you lose the benefit. The tire sidewall also won't be as stable. That said you could probably do it, but I personally wouldn't. To find out just mount the 255 tire on your car and check the clearance from the sidewall to the strut at its closest point. The width difference between the two tires is (555RII=11.22") - (555=10.16") = 1.06" so you will be .53" closer to the strut with that 285/35/18 tire. I know some people will go as low as 1/4" or less with a stiff sidewall tire, but I'm more comfortable at 3/8"-1/2" clearance.

2012Boss said:
cloud9 said:

Gary
Don't know if you saw my question about the 555 II's. Do they fit just fine or do you special offset rims and other changes? They are pretty wide compared to the stock tires, correct.
They are 1" wider both front and back than the stockers which is what makes them so nice ;D The only changes I made was to add .75 degrees of negative camber. I don't think the fronts would rub the fenders with the stock level of -0.95 degrees of camber but since I never put them on the car without the additional camber I can't say with 100% certainty, but I really doubt they would rub.

TMO Supporting Vendors