The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Slot Gap - one piece rotor slot gap/cooling vanes for 14" 4 piston S197 and 15" S550

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Hi - a final thing I'd want to know before pulling the trigger on a brake kit, and I'm not sure anyone would know it - is this:

How wide is the gap for cooling vanes on the 14" rotor and 15" rotor? I've looked up various sites trying to find this information, and the only thing I can find is that they are the same width (1.260"), but I can't find anything on how much of that is actually braking surface and how much of that is the air gap for cooling.

My speculation is that it will be the same.

Would anyone know?

In the V6L
It's referred to as "air gap" and it's entirely dependent on who made the rotors. Brembo racing friction rings are generally 17mm air gap, but that's just one manufacturer and one product line. You could contact the manufacturer and ask them if you really want to know.

The thing is, with a bigger air gap, you get more airflow but the rotor ends ups up weighing less. While that sounds good, the reality is that for track use in a heavy car, heavier rotors handle heat better, so it's a trade-off. The other number that matters is the number of vanes - the more vanes the better.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel