The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Smooth shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The transmission seems very well engineered and matched to my Boss. I've had many manual shift vehicles over the years, the most recent being a 2002 Maxima. But I have to admit I'm challenged shifing first to second under hard acceleration. No problems with any other gears, just first to second when I'm pushing the car hard.

I have no issues shifting from first to second when starting off and just cruising around, but I have yet to make a good, smooth shift 1-2 when I'm mashing the throttle. Any suggestions?

Not sure what to tell you Jim. I've found both the clutch and transmission to be like butter on the Boss. The only thing that took a little getting used to was the close ratio of the shifter, but now it's second nature. Is this just happening shortly after starting the car or is it still happening after everything's fully warmed up? It could just be a break-in issue as well. How many miles do you have on it?

I only have about 300 miles on it. It's definitely not a mechanical issue, the transmission is great - it is a user issue. My technique seems fine other than that one scenario.

Jim,
I work with a guy that has the same issue in his 2012 Cobra. I drove it without nailing it and didn't have a problem. But when he drives it hard (and I went with him), he had a hard time hitting second. I gave him a lot of crap, but now I feel bad, well...almost. He has an '09 CTS-V that shifts like butter. It has a Tremec, not sure what the Cobra has. Maybe the Getrag MT82 like the Boss. Hopefully I'll know in a couple of weeks when I get mine.

I suspect it is technique...I don't have trouble hitting 2nd at all. The shifting mechanism is very smooth itself. It's my timing with the clutch. I can't seem to hit 2nd under hard acceleration without jerking the car pretty good. I have no trouble shifting normally and no trouble shifting into any other gear without jerking the car. Just 1st to 2nd - then I feel pretty lame!

I'm sure practice will take care of the problem. It's just interesting that I have trouble in that one particular situation.

STIG302 said:
Jim,
I work with a guy that has the same issue in his 2012 Cobra. I drove it without nailing it and didn't have a problem. But when he drives it hard (and I went with him), he had a hard time hitting second. I gave him a lot of crap, but now I feel bad, well...almost. He has an '09 CTS-V that shifts like butter. It has a Tremec, not sure what the Cobra has. Maybe the Getrag MT82 like the Boss. Hopefully I'll know in a couple of weeks when I get mine.
I'd be real interested in knowing how your friend finds the comparison between his Cobra (GT 500 right?) and the CTS-V. The Caddy seems like a real war horse, but I've never driven one. Power-wise they seem to be pretty well matched on paper.

It is a GT500. The Caddy is much more refined. The magnetic suspension and the way the car sticks is incredible. I didn't believe him at first, but he let me drive both. The Cobra can't touch the Caddy.

STIG302 said:
It is a GT500. The Caddy is much more refined. The magnetic suspension and the way the car sticks is incredible. I didn't believe him at first, but he let me drive both. The Cobra can't touch the Caddy.
Haa...well then I guess the GT 500 would be the war horse and the Caddy would be Adrian Peterson!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel