The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Snake Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Note no mods listed ,but have you had it on the track/autocross yet? Great color and we look forward to hearing about your experiences with the Blower Stang!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Georgia
This is the Build Thread for Snake. Reply below.
Thank you I have not done anything to the car it is pretty awesome with the supercharger. Never been on track but we my son and wife are going to barber in ala. Nov22 gonna try it out along with ZO6 vette and Challenger SuperB ScatPak. Let you know how it goes. Any suggestions on dash cam lap timer ?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Georgia
I look forward to seeing you and your new Snake at Barber.
Welcome to the site!!
Any suggestions before we head to track. We have never done this before just got some cars and enthusiasm

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Yes. Instructor, slow is smooth-smooth is fast, Instructor, Relax, Instructor. Did I mention Instructor?? LOL Most track events require an instructor for any new drivers. Always take advantage of the instruction. Be sure the event organizers know your experience level. Have an open mind and have fun.

Barber is a technical track. Its easy to be safe and fun to drive. Just concentrate on the line, your instructor will explain this to you. Novice drivers have mandatory classroom before getting on track. We all did it and learned a lot from the classes.

Go with an open mind, start out slow and listen to your instructor. Eat a normal meal in the morning, drink water and Gatorade throughout the day and take it all in.

The GT500 off the showroom floor is ready for your first track day. Regardless, go through the checklist JustTrackIt has and make sure you are ready for tech. Be sure you have the correct helmet. Read all you can from the event organizers site. Their rules, track rules, suggestions for driving and what's available at the track should all be there. Barber has fuel right in the paddock. Food venders are near the fuel station. Showers and bath facilities are very nice.

There will likely be a few guys from the site at the event. Take a ride with them (Me) if you can. Always good to see how others drive the track, if only to see what not to do. :thumbsup: LOL.

Have you seen the motorcycle museum at Barber? That alone is worth the trip.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Georgia
Yes. Instructor, slow is smooth-smooth is fast, Instructor, Relax, Instructor. Did I mention Instructor?? LOL Most track events require an instructor for any new drivers. Always take advantage of the instruction. Be sure the event organizers know your experience level. Have an open mind and have fun.

Barber is a technical track. Its easy to be safe and fun to drive. Just concentrate on the line, your instructor will explain this to you. Novice drivers have mandatory classroom before getting on track. We all did it and learned a lot from the classes.

Go with an open mind, start out slow and listen to your instructor. Eat a normal meal in the morning, drink water and Gatorade throughout the day and take it all in.

The GT500 off the showroom floor is ready for your first track day. Regardless, go through the checklist JustTrackIt has and make sure you are ready for tech. Be sure you have the correct helmet. Read all you can from the event organizers site. Their rules, track rules, suggestions for driving and what's available at the track should all be there. Barber has fuel right in the paddock. Food venders are near the fuel station. Showers and bath facilities are very nice.

There will likely be a few guys from the site at the event. Take a ride with them (Me) if you can. Always good to see how others drive the track, if only to see what not to do. :thumbsup: LOL.

Have you seen the motorcycle museum at Barber? That alone is worth the trip.
Thank you. James from Jzilla is who helped us get registered as novice green. It is a lot to absorb reading everything we will rent helmets for the first time and go thru the instructors teachings. Yes I would like to take a ride with you My wife or son may push me out of the way to go first. My son is 18 James said he would let Nathan my son do the skid pad ? Get him use to hydroplaning spinning out etc great for learning for everyday driving experiences. Things happen so fast on local roads I feel at least some trading will help him snd us as well

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Slow in…Fast out.
Flag Stations…Mirrors…Turn In…Apex…Track Out.

The classroom instruction at Barber is second to none. Barber is second to none…IMO.

Barber is technical, but very forgiving. Easy to go fast there. Catch a ride with TM…make sure you tighten your belts…every lap.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Georgia
What our your thoughts on insurance at track for the cars I saw something about hagertys ?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Check with your insurance company first. Some exclude any activity on track. Others insure training on track. Most do not cover you if you are in a timed event. A track event by JustTrackIt is not a timed event. It should be seen as training/Education.

Open track is a sponsor here. I have used Hagerty and Lockton in the past.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Georgia
Slow in…Fast out.
Flag Stations…Mirrors…Turn In…Apex…Track Out.

The classroom instruction at Barber is second to none. Barber is second to none…IMO.

Barber is technical, but very forgiving. Easy to go fast there. Catch a ride with TM…make sure you tighten your belts…every lap.
Owe some car. I got a couple 66 myself one had my first car 40 plus years ago just finished mod and bought my wife the other all original miles etc 72,000 convertible

DDA2E7AA-B818-49C2-8F0A-046BAB7E43AE.jpeg

10DC27C5-98AE-4950-9840-AD5EF545F327.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
One thing no one really mentions is to ride with your instructor if he/she has time. Made the biggest improvement at my first HPDE despite my autocross background. I continued to ride with them when I made it to advanced groups. I always try to take my students out because it tends to make light bulbs go off and they figure a few things out that we have been discussing in car.
Last but not least, ENJOY the weekend and welcome

TMO Supporting Vendors