The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Snow tires alignment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagejpg1_zpsf9490cca.jpg

Just done today!

Running the skinny 235/50-18 Blizzaks WS80 all corners.
With my previous alignment the outer edge was getting chewed.

Initial impression; the cornering is very impressive, the push is minimized!
Will be looking for the wear pattern and report back.

I am keeping tight lips about WS80 review, because it needs to heavily snow in Detroit so I can publish the review.
If I have to say one thing, the WS80 are (*your favorite summer tires*) for winter!

Snow tires? ;D

Just trying to learn about alinements.
My question is: how did you get different camber and toe in the rear with a solid axle??
Please aline my thoughts... :eek:
I know there has to be a good answer but I cant figure it out. So Thats why I'm asking. If its real simple please dont beat me up to bad.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
superhero said:
Just trying to learn about alinements.
My question is: how did you get different camber and toe in the rear with a solid axle??
Please aline my thoughts... :eek:
I know there has to be a good answer but I cant figure it out. So Thats why I'm asking. If its real simple please dont beat me up to bad.
Axle is misaligned front to back (left wheel is farther back than the right) and the camber is the rear axle housing ends are bent up very slightly. Factory tolerances, Nascar crews do this to a greater degree on purpose.

steveespo said:
Axle is misaligned front to back (left wheel is farther back than the right) and the camber is the rear axle housing ends are bent up very slightly. Factory tolerances, Nascar crews do this to a greater degree on purpose.

Interesting
is the axel housing being bent up and the axel being shifted bad. I would think the axel being shifted would be the worst for wheel tracking purpose and the car going straight. The wheels being bent up would help for racing purpose?? Am I thinking in the right direction.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Yes negative camber in the rear can help performance, having the axle out of square could help or hurt depending on the track you are running. The amounts shown on the report are within spec and wouldn't have much effect on performance or tire/parts wear. Adjustable lower control arms can be used to adjust the fore/aft alignment. Not much can be done with the camber on the car, housing can be removed and straightened if desired, again not warranted in this case.

Thank you for schooling me steveespo.
I guess we dont live in a perfect world. I would think a set of adjustable LCA would be the next step for the OP. Or is this not even worth it??

I guess it all boils down to how much you will track the car and how perfect it has to be for the kind of coarse the car will see.
Man I doing alot of guessing.

TMO Supporting Vendors