The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Snow tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
OK, P-Zeros do not make good snow tires. We got about an inch and a half of slushy snow in the Seattle area overnight. I tried to go to the grocery this afternoon and could barely get out of the driveway. The tires kept pushing up the snow into effective little wheel chocks. Thank goodness it's melting off. How embarrassing to have 444 horses and not be able to move.

The cold weather also hardens the rubber compound, making the tires somewhat useless.

Wasn't sure if you were asking for for some snow tire information, or just telling us that summer tires don't work in the winter :p.
Here's a recent thread discussing winter tires that might be helpful for people searching the thread.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6708.msg101012#msg101012

The p-zeros turn into hockey pucks in cold temps, especially below freezing. Add snow/ice to the mix & you're asking for real trouble. If you have to drive your Boss in the snow, I would get snow tires....Blizzaks worked well for me on previous cars. My Boss will NEVER see snow!!

I got a quote for plain old all seasons for $1400. Thought I would extend the driving season a month on each end. Not worth it. Bought a 2002 accord for 1500. Paid an extra 100, but now my BOSS won't see all the salt and snow banks

Blizzaks are probably one of the best snow tires. The problem with All-Seasons is that they are a compromise to work for all seasons and weather from dry to wet to freezing to snow to ice so they aren't exactly optimal. A dedicated snow tire will make the car feel much better in the snow slush and ice over your typical all season tires. Wider during the summer skinnier during the winter.

Here was my set of questions and how I answered them for an all-weather solution http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/16359-winter-tires-wheels-tsw-track-and-other-solution/

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Sean said:
Blizzaks are probably one of the best snow tires. The problem with All-Seasons is that they are a compromise to work for all seasons and weather from dry to wet to freezing to snow to ice so they aren't exactly optimal. A dedicated snow tire will make the car feel much better in the snow slush and ice over your typical all season tires. Wider during the summer skinnier during the winter.
i typical agree with that about all seasons but the michelins a/s 3's have been great in all conditions. Granted have to tread carefully in the light snow. If there is heavy snow then yes get a snow tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sean said:

+1 if you have to drive in the snow a true snow tire is the only way to go. I lived in MN for 5 years and the difference between snow and all seasons is night and day. Blizzaks are great.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
All seasons would be the best choice for Seattle, since we get any significant snow very rarely. I would like something stickier to use during the long wet winters here.

TMO Supporting Vendors