The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

So called "Ice Mode" anyone experience it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From what I understand from my GM buddies, "Ice Mode" is related to the ABS system believing that the car is sliding on ice so it reduces brake pressure and efficiency accordingly. It presents with a rock hard pedal with minimal braking ability. I don't recall hearing much about this on the Mustang platform, however.

I've intermittently experienced the same on my car. It's baffling to me. I've read it is an ABS issue and I've read it is an issue related to driver inputs into the braking system.

Has anyone experienced this?

There have been members that have experienced ice mode on S197 cars but haven’t heard that on the S550. I’m sure it’s there and looks like you found it.

From what I understand from my GM buddies, "Ice Mode" is related to the ABS system believing that the car is sliding on ice so it reduces brake pressure and efficiency accordingly. It presents with a rock hard pedal with minimal braking ability. I don't recall hearing much about this on the Mustang platform, however.

I've intermittently experienced the same on my car. It's baffling to me. I've read it is an ABS issue and I've read it is an issue related to driver inputs into the braking system.

I had it happen once last year during Optima event in an autoX session.. max breaking just as there was a hump in the pavement. Very rare for Fords...but lots of the GM cars were fighting it during that event. breaking reduced by at least 50 percent but still a solid pedal. Cones were killed during that run!!

In the V6L

So, you've had that weird sideways kick at a track event - it's in your other thread - and I responded saying it was unusual to have more than one problem at a time, but that it sounded like you had two different issues. Now it's sounding like there's just one issue - your ABS/AdvanceTrak module is not working normally. Going into ice mode and randomly hammering the rear brakes on one side is not normal behavior. As you see in the posts above, it doesn't seem to happen on S550's, except for yours. Now, that could mean that the ABS controller is not working or it could be from somewhere else. For instance, the g-force and yaw meter in the car is actually in the airbag controller ("RCM"), and ABS uses CAN messages that originate there as part of figuring out how the car's moving. That module can be recalibrated using IDS or Forscan, but it's possible that module or the ABS module is just plain broken.

So, you've had that weird sideways kick at a track event - it's in your other thread - and I responded saying it was unusual to have more than one problem at a time, but that it sounded like you had two different issues. Now it's sounding like there's just one issue - your ABS/AdvanceTrak module is not working normally. Going into ice mode and randomly hammering the rear brakes on one side is not normal behavior. As you see in the posts above, it doesn't seem to happen on S550's, except for yours. Now, that could mean that the ABS controller is not working or it could be from somewhere else. For instance, the g-force and yaw meter in the car is actually in the airbag controller ("RCM"), and ABS uses CAN messages that originate there as part of figuring out how the car's moving. That module can be recalibrated using IDS or Forscan, but it's possible that module or the ABS module is just plain broken.
I have experienced this on the Porsche Cayman R I had, it only happened on one turn of one track. As explained to me you need to quickly let go of the brake and re apply the brake pressure to get your full pressure back. It seems to happen under very rare instances to the car when it is unloaded in a particular way. Since I didn't like double pumping the brake I went in and hooked up simple on off switch to my yaw sensor wire when I was on track and not only did the problem go away I ended up with more brake bias to the rear which gave me more balanced braking. Yes you will get light on your dash and you lose that computer controlling your yaw rate but it made the car drive better.
I have not experienced it on the GT350.
Just my experience.

TMO Supporting Vendors