The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

So I hear this Rod Knock..........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here is my experience. First week of driving with windows down here in California I noticed exhaust smell with oil. Thought it was normal. Read this site checked my oil after about 1,000 miles and noticed it was low. The one thing I hate is the dipstick is one biznitch to read with the sound tube connected. That was the first thing to go. After another 1,000 I found it low again. I currently have 3,600 miles and I have burned about 2 qts. I do not have the exhaust smell with oil anymore which leads me to beleive it is not burning anymore oil. I try to check it weekly.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Personal Responsibility is a lost in this new age. You drove your car and never checked the oil until you heard a knocking sound. Face Palm symbol. Maybe if you had checked your oil you would have noticed it was low before there were issues ;).

Peter

Wow..... Little harsh on a 2k mile car?
I guess I could have checked, and I am the last one to go around blaming others for my responsibilities.

I wish the dealership would have shown a little more effort in calling Ford. In fact, I suspect that had I just paid for the oil change that they would have also claimed the warranty with Ford.

They at least lied when they said Ford denied the warranty claim according to Ford.

Finally, if I was lacking so much responsibility, I thought the dealer was supposed to check the car BEFORE enabling the Red Key, like for premium gas etc. They are at least as much to blame.

RichP

When it comes down to it, it is like what Scarface said.

Who do I trust?

Me.

Yes, they should have checked. But they didn't. It happens. How do I know? Tech at a BMW dealership forgot to button up my motor on my X5 after he took the heads and intake off, and by the time I got home I had another 4k in damage to the motor. That was a fight to get it fixed on their bill, I tell you what.

Now you know to check the oil, hopefully there is no damage but if there is it should come up before the warranty is out. FWIW I check the oil, wheels (BMW bent one of mine doing the brakes somehow), water, dents, and other stuff every time I pick up my car. Oh and the air in the tires. They always set them goofy. Because who is going to be more careful about your car than you? It is cheap insurance. Oh and lug nuts. Every time they touch your car, check the nuts. And again after a few hundred miles. I've seen a wheel sheer off the lugs on a truck because a dealer forgot to tighten the lugs more than hand tight and the wheel wobbled.

If it were me, every 2 weeks check the air in the tires, oil, lugs, brake fluid level, coolant level. Make note of any new wet or oily spots or even if there is a thicker than usual clump of grime (sometimes it is sticking to oil). Peek at at the hoses, belts etc. At least once a month look at the lip on the rotors, check the pads, look for moisture around the brake hoses. Oh and behind the master cylinder, as it is a Ford :p I have replaced a lot of Ford master cylinders. I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch of stuff out, but just make sure everything looks ok. It really doesn't take that long, and it is a damn sexy car so it is kind of fun poking around ;D Chances are there will never be an issue, but if there is then you will catch it early. Especially if you are driving it hard.

Wow Rich, 7qts seems high. Most dealers these days pay some kid peanuts to change oil and its collected in a large container not a pan like you would use at home. I'm betting they were just guessing. I'm sure it was low, even very low, but 7qts I doubt it? Either way I would get something in writting from Ford. It may never be a problem, but I would want something in writting to protect myself. Even if you don't have an issue now you may later.

BTW, to date my car has used about 1/4 qt in 1400 miles. I followed Fords break-in procedure for the most part, then the beat down began. I'll be at Eagle Canon at the end of the month; I'll be watching oil use for sure now!

Rich, What part of Louisiana? I'm in Bossier City/Shreveport area. March 11/12 the Red River Region SCCA will be holding an Autocross school and our first event of the year if your interested. Our website is being redone, but you can looks us up on Facebook "Red River Region" SCCA or Autoxforum.

Red River Region Forum: http://autox.i-55.com/forums/index.php?showforum=24
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/RRRSCCA

Ford has started an oil consumption test on my car. Did not use a drop of oil in the first 2000 miles. Now I have 6800 miles and I am averaging 1 quart every 1000 miles. I was told that as part of the test I am being required to bring the car to a Ford dealer every 1000 miles interval to get the oil level checked/topped off. When i asked what happens if i am traveling and miss the next 1000 mile mark. i was informed that if the engine expired due to lack of oil and i did not bring it in that Ford MIGHT not pay for the repair. This is BS as far as I am concerned. A $44k car should not have these issues.... When the car gets 2 quarts low you can start to hear the knocking.....

BlazinBoss302 said:
Ford has started an oil consumption test on my car. Did not use a drop of oil in the first 2000 miles. Now I have 6800 miles and I am averaging 1 quart every 1000 miles. I was told that as part of the test I am being required to bring the car to a Ford dealer every 1000 miles interval to get the oil level checked/topped off. When i asked what happens if i am traveling and miss the next 1000 mile mark. i was informed that if the engine expired due to lack of oil and i did not bring it in that Ford MIGHT not pay for the repair. This is BS as far as I am concerned. A $44k car should not have these issues.... When the car gets 2 quarts low you can start to hear the knocking.....

This is what I'm talking about. Ask camaro guys if they burn a quart every 1000 miles. The point is, you shouldn't have a modern car burning this much oil. No matter if it's a hi po engine or not. I see this becoming an issue. I changed my oil at 1500 miles, and haven't noticed the car burning oil excessively yet, but I only have 2300 miles on it I will tell you this, if I ever have the consumption some of you mentioned in this thread, Ford will be taking a Boss back.

CaliMR said:
Never buy a BMW then ;D

I had a 2008 BMW 535i with the n54 twin turbo, while that motor was notorious for fuel system issues, I never ever had a problem with oil consumption. I also had it Dinan tuned to 380 HP/420 ft lb. Newer BMW's mainly have programming/fuel system issues, which turned me away from the M3. I went with the Boss for LESS engineering for simplicity compared to BMW. Now it seems to be a mild mistake. Let's see, oil consumption, clutch problems, rear end problems, trans problems!! I always seemed to be surprised at the problems of modern day cars considering development technology. Oh well, I still love my Boss. But if I wanted issues I would have bought an M3.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Tflong24 said:
CaliMR said:
Never buy a BMW then ;D

I had a 2008 BMW 535i with the n54 twin turbo, while that motor was notorious for fuel system issues, I never ever had a problem with oil consumption. I also had it Dinan tuned to 380 HP/420 ft lb. Newer BMW's mainly have programming/fuel system issues, which turned me away from the M3. I went with the Boss for LESS engineering for simplicity compared to BMW. Now it seems to be a mild mistake. Let's see, oil consumption, clutch problems, rear end problems, trans problems!! I always seemed to be surprised at the problems of modern day cars considering development technology. Oh well, I still love my Boss. But if I wanted issues I would have bought an M3.

You have had all these problems??? Any???? :-\ Probably not. The problems are just not that common.

If you use a site, any site, as a yard stick of how any product is made, wears or endures, you will always be unhappy and trading for something better.

This is where people bring their issues. For the most part, we are Americans/North Americans. It's our god given right to biznitch. Don't mistake the issues you see here as the norm. We just don't log in and say....Hey everything is great. Ain't gonna happen.

I do agree, the BMW is over engineered. My brother is in his second BMW. His comments are similar to yours. BMW fixes what is not broiken and engineeres in maintenance issues. Example, you gota love the turn signal lever actuation. Pain in the *** to use the first time. Why did they fix what was not broken?? They are German. They over engineer everything. :-[

Enjoy your Boss. I enjoy mine. I HAD issues with shifting, fixed now. Still loving the experience.

How did you fix them?

As for BMWs, I base my opinion on personal experience, either cars I have owned or my family and close friends. Every single one that had more than 20k miles has had oil consumption issues, every auto one (except my X5) had tranny issues (most required replacement which BMW fought over even under warranty), every one has had radiator issues due to the end tanks, every one has had issues with the bulbs blowing all the time (usually requiring a new socket too), most had some sort of electrical issue that required at least a partial wiring harness replacement or "boards" being replaced... that is just what I remember off the top of my head. Oops, my 88 spec car has run like a top other than blowing bulbs constantly and an oil leak but that is expected at 225k miles, and my father had a 6 series from the 80s that was a tank. Oh I also forgot all the black plastic hoses for the cooling system disintegrate right after the warranty runs out.

I also had issues with my x5 specific to that model like the final stage capacitor overheating and killing the head unit as well as the usual ac issues, the self leveling suspension took a dump, the oil pan thing in the motor under the intake went bad (4.4 it was common) and when they repaired it they did 4k in damage to the motor because they forgot to tighten everything, multiple water pumps (it had like 80k miles when I sold it, should not have eaten multiple water pumps), a bunch of the emissions junk wore out and had to be replaced under warranty so it would pass, and numerous other issues I can't remember off the top of my head right now. Then there are the issues with the dealerships bending rims, breaking windshields, the "repair" I mentioned to my motor... we tried 4 different dealerships before we found one that was decent, I mean how do you bust a windshield and I mean completely shattered then claim it was like that when the car was brought in... but then that dealer got bought and now it sucks too.

Why do we keep buying BMW? I don't. And my family and most of my friends are basically done with them. The only exception has been my bro's M5, it is perfect other than burning a lot of oil but they warned him about that when he bought it, gave him a kit for the trunk to hold oil jugs, and the car has a display that shows how low the oil is and reminds you to add more. It only has 20k miles and he has had it for like 5 years though. He never drives it because he is afraid it will break and has been trying to sell it for a while.

If my only issue with this hi po car is the tranny is a little wonky and it eats a little oil, for me that is a wondercar. Every car has issues, maybe not every specific car but every model in general, and at least these are ones that can be dealt with easily by keeping an eye on the oil level (which you should do anyways) and hopefully however you guys are fixing the trannies.

Have people been having trannies break, or is it just the shift feel and occasional pop out that are the issues? And the clutch sticking thing but hopefully there is a fix for that.

HackBoss302 said:
Rich, What part of Louisiana? I'm in Bossier City/Shreveport area. March 11/12 the Red River Region SCCA will be holding an Autocross school and our first event of the year if your interested. Our website is being redone, but you can looks us up on Facebook "Red River Region" SCCA or Autoxforum.

Red River Region Forum: http://autox.i-55.com/forums/index.php?showforum=24
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/RRRSCCA

Just outside of Nawlins...... I'll check the website out.

Laney Chouest (offshore drilling family) just built a new 60Million dollar track here, nola motors

http://www.nolamotor.com

5247354010_ccbd72f245_z.jpg

My company did the fiber at the track. Hoping to have some fun there once it fully opens.

Might see if I can make your event, sounds like fun.

Rich

Tflong24 said:
BlazinBoss302 said:

This is what I'm talking about. Ask camaro guys if they burn a quart every 1000 miles. The point is, you shouldn't have a modern car burning this much oil. No matter if it's a hi po engine or not. I see this becoming an issue. I changed my oil at 1500 miles, and haven't noticed the car burning oil excessively yet, but I only have 2300 miles on it I will tell you this, if I ever have the consumption some of you mentioned in this thread, Ford will be taking a Boss back.

I was at the dealer all morning discussing this issue. I am looking at Ford buying back a Boss. Sorry guys, but i think Ford telling me I HAVE to check my oil every 1000 miles on a new car is bullcrap...

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
YellowJacketBoss302 said:
TMSBOSS said:
I HAD issues with shifting, fixed now. Still loving the experience.
How did you fix the shifting issues?

I had the TSB for the fluid change performed at the dealers. I also installed a MGW shifter. Now, after a 5 minute warm up, winter temps, the trans shirts well. Before warm up, 1-2 shift is a little stiff. Other issues are gone.

I think instead of an owners manual it should have come with a preflight checklist. Either way I love it. I guess time will tell when the first engine goes to oil issues. Until then I will drive it as much as possible and treat it like every other car I have owned by paying attention to detail. NSDQ!

Well after reading this I decided to check my oil and now having 2600 miles it was one quart low no big deal but I do not drive the H out of my car until atleast one oil change knowing in the past every time you break something in the right way it will work the right way. Yeah I hear this about being a race car thats fine and if you are tracking it then you are completely understood as to the normal track things that tear up from running a engine hard as for your problem to the low oil I would not worry about it if it lets loose you get a new engine and all is happy. I have raced all my life and know if its a race car on the track its gonna break down rule of thumb I have seen many race engines on the streets that go for ever it seems but you put them on the track you better know it is only time.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel