The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

So let's say i'm looking for a mustang....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

and boy am I picky!!! I'm not a real fan of the 10-14s because I think the older school 05-09 look better, unfortunately they don't make the good engine in the 05-09s. Sooo which models came with the full length hood, because I don't care for the ones with the border at the front.. (FWIW I like the 67 shelbys over the 68s for the same reason)...in any case, i went shopping with a friend of mine for a 14GT and was amazed to find one with what appeared to be a lot of Boss 302 parts on it..is this common? (The 07 shelby gt500 has the right combination of looks and HP.)

Can't really swing a Boss 302 (none out there anyway), but maybe a decent used GT 6 speed car.....

Maybe buy an '05 to '09 with a blown up engine and swap in a coyote. The only stangs that came with the non full length hood were the Shelby and '13+. And the '05 to '09 came with the 4.6 and a 5 speed Tremec.

Rob the 2011 and 2012 have the 5.0 with the longer hood. They changed the front and rear of the Mustang in 2013.

Tulsa, OK
2011 and 2012 had a Brembo brake option. 2013 and 2014 had the Track Pack option with a lot of the boss components, including the Brembo brakes.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
What is your budget ? If you are OK with used then there are a fair amount of Boss's spread out over the country. You can get a nice one in the high 30s. Just had a buddy sell his 13 and the purchaser came up to Seattle from San Diego to get it. As of today 169 of them,
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Coupe/Ford/Mustang/Monroe+WA-98272?endYear=2013&makeCode1=FORD&mmt=%5BFORD%5BMUST%5BMUST%7CBoss+302%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=MUST&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=370792465&showcaseOwnerId=71257&startYear=2012&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE&Log=0

roadhouse said:
You'd be hard pressed to find a better bang for your buck than a track pack GT.

I'm pretty sure there were track pack cars before 13-14, but I don't know if they had all the Boss stuff that the 13-14 TP cars had. When I was shopping the used market, I also found it very difficult to find a Bembo or a TP car that didn't also have leather and Sync, which really jack up the price. Last summer, a 2011 Brembo or TP with leather/Sync went for 25k all day (sales price, not asking). I got my 14 TP/Recaro for $30.5 (and at the time there only like 2 for sale in the country with just TP/Recaro). The sticker on that car with leather and sync was almost 38k.

So while I agree that the GT/TP is the best bang for buck, it might be easier to find a Boss!

Tulsa, OK
In 2011 and 2012 you could order a car with Brembos and 3.73s. While Ford did not market these cars as having a "track pack" option, for all intents and purposes that's what they were (minus all the cool boss stuff). We called them "brembo" cars. I had to order my 2012 because I couldn't find a white car with brembos and 3.73s as the only options anywhere in the US at the time. So I'll agree that they are kind of hard to find.

roadhouse said:
In 2011 and 2012 you could order a car with Brembos and 3.73s. While Ford did not market these cars as having a "track pack" option, for all intents and purposes that's what they were (minus all the cool boss stuff). We called them "brembo" cars. I had to order my 2012 because I couldn't find a white car with brembos and 3.73s as the only options anywhere in the US at the time. So I'll agree that they are kind of hard to find.

that would fit the bill but I'm sure it would be tough find one.. thanks for the input guys, now I have something to work with.

The problem with being picky, is you might as well order exactly what you want. But then, your most important thing, the hood, isn't even available now.

Nothing against being picky--I wanted TP and Recaro and that's all. Drove dealers nuts that I wouldn't bite on stuff on the lot that was "close".

TMO Supporting Vendors