The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

So long charger and challenger .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We used baseball cards running thru the spokes to make our bikes noisy back in the day. We clipped them on the fender supports with clothespins.Other kids even used balloons.
Bob, I did the same when I was a kid and I like the Taycan noises today. Ugh maybe I'm just a fake noise kind of guy haha

I remember AJ got his hands on the Porsche Zoomy hybrid supercar thing at Sebring, a virtual jet for about 3 laps, then when the regen couldn't keep up it was just a heavy Miata. Just like when Car and Driver shot the cover a few months ago showing the EV F150 and spouting how this vehicle will change the minds of American consumers, even showed a pic of it hauling a trailer... No where in the article did it mention the whopping 85 mile loaded range. Yeah, it's gonna really change my mind.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Gibsonia, PA
I surprisingly don't think this is a left or right blame issue, because I remember the inversions in LA in the 70s and 80s, friends complaining about smog in Phoenix coming from there. I remember spending the 60s in Europe with water undrinkable in so many Countries not due to war but to Industrial pollution not being managed so rivers were dumping grounds. I think Nuclear Power is likely to show some resurgence unless Russia destroys the Plant in Ukraine and that could end that solution. I believe Solar and wind have strong chances to change things, but there has been no need to embrace in the US as we have so much cheap coal, natural gas, etc. , yet there are examples in Europe and even Iowa that is is working quite well -- discussing mainly wind power. We all complain about electrical costs and more, yet we trudge along using the same sources until we are forced to view change. I see that as what is occurring because everyone understood around the Globe that coal was difficult to burn cleanly, but it was cheap and yet Worldwide we are seeing this technology change. Natural gas , hydro, solar, wind, are avenues that should help us provide cheaper energy, and like TMS I believe we need to view Nuclear, again. I don't think I will be around when Fusion is the answer, but I do stop and pause often at how even little things have changed in my lifetime. Take batteries, our little flashlights were lead acid, then alkaline, now lithium and who knows about tomorrow? There is more innovation going on in Battery power and many believe lithium may be a secondary source in much less than a decade, with newer and safer battery power sources coming.
Problems, concerns, issues, we view these with frustration and complaints, because all of us don't really like change when we are comfortable with things as they are, and though I have the same feelings, I have always somewhat perversely enjoyed these world concerns that made us as human beings get innovative. Selling cars on and off for over 30 years I realized that perceived problems or regulations have in reality made cars more exciting than ever. I wonder if all these things would have ever occurred if we had not had gas shortages in the 70s, safety concerns for drivers and passengers, clean air requirements due to air pollution, etc. It made my job super fun, because I could always expect new items, often performance oriented to talk about, and I even remember folks screaming about those damn ABS braking systems. Really it
is funny to me, because I complained to, but the more I enjoyed things from something as small as a three cone synchro making shifts smoother, to crazy stuff like a factory line lock, abilities to turn off all nanny devices , vehicles that could change power modes to go in snow, mud, ice, etc. I had to stop, pause and realize so many things I did not want to occur, I now love. But, I am boring, not left, not right, nor do I blame, because when you are on this Planet for numerous decades you end up not agreeing with either side too many times to remember. You also have periods of reflection where you realize things you did not agree with you do now, regardless of where they came from.

The catalyst for innovation in the United States has so often been determined to solve problems and it seems we need issues to give ourselves a kick in the butt to solve and improve things. I believe we are in that phase now, and pretty hard for folks seeing the water level in places like Lake Mead not to realize it is a wake up call. We will solve all these issues in years to come, because we don't give up!
Bill, I think you're dead on in your analysis. Change is inevitable. Many don't like it...it's human nature. Change is also unpredictable. There are too many unforeseen variables. We can get a glimpse of what direction(s) it may take as the years go by, but what evolving combination of energy generating sources we think we'll see...I betcha most of us will be off...way off, in predicting this.

Bill, I think you're dead on in your analysis. Change is inevitable. Many don't like it...it's human nature. Change is also unpredictable. There are too many unforeseen variables. We can get a glimpse of what direction(s) it may take as the years go by, but what evolving combination of energy generating sources we think we'll see...I betcha most of us will be off...way off, in predicting this.
The issue I have is that this is artificial change , not change based on markets, it is quite possibly not even a necessary change seeing how the earth has actually cooled 1 degree C this past year. It is purely a change based on politics, and will be extremely costly to the US economy, especially in the area of unrecoverable jobs. This is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer... it feels so much better when you quit doing it.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
The issue I have is that this is artificial change , not change based on markets, it is quite possibly not even a necessary change seeing how the earth has actually cooled 1 degree C this past year. It is purely a change based on politics, and will be extremely costly to the US economy, especially in the area of unrecoverable jobs. This is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer... it feels so much better when you quit doing it.
Even with all the government pressure trying to push EV production, doesn't it seem a little premature for automakers to be making transitions like this when models are still selling pretty well? Even if this is an artificial change, I'm surprised that so many automakers are jumping in head first so soon. I would have thought you'd see this type of action in 3-5 years, though they all want to take advantage of the marketing push to try and position themselves strongly and drum up consumer demand.

Even with all the government pressure trying to push EV production, doesn't it seem a little premature for automakers to be making transitions like this when models are still selling pretty well? Even if this is an artificial change, I'm surprised that so many automakers are jumping in head first so soon. I would have thought you'd see this type of action in 3-5 years, though they all want to take advantage of the marketing push to try and position themselves strongly and drum up consumer demand.
Feds are paying them, remember the bailout money Ford refused to take 10 or so years ago? Ford is in on it now, not really their fault, the US automakers have bailed on the car market and only make SUVs, they eat fuel. They can't make future CAFE standards, the government will help you meet them, here's the check.
Classic case of the tail wagging the dog.
Make the rules no one can meet, offer to help everyone meet the rules ( with strings attached) and here you go.
The SHTF moment is going to be when demand exceeds production of electricity, and some people actually believe that this will be economical somehow.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well we can agree to disagree and you are still my favorite Tire Guru, yet there is definitely a problem with things warming. A glacier I walked on in Switzerland is virtually gone, beaches I played on at Lake Mead, as a child, are all relocated 1000 ft. back or more since the lake is drying up - 27% of full capacity. A one year possible lowering of temperature does not negate the crazy increases we have been going through this Century. Rivers drying up in Europe, drought Worldwide, I remember how much I hated being in LA in the 70s with it's air, and it is simply impossible to disregard things that have been happening to me and you for well over 4 decades. Traveling to places I spent time in 40-60 years ago, it is frightening. A temperature drop for a year or two, I am on your side, but consistent collapses of so many things on the Globe in such a fraction of a second of real Earth time, means we need to be aware and observant. Listening to friends in California, Washington, Nevada , Arizona especially, they are scared and they are primarily Republicans. Don't want this to be political, but just pointing out this fear goes across all party lines and seeing it first hand makes it a wake up call. Farmer friends are worried as the drought in the Midwest is quite serious in many spots, and many have been skeptical like you that things are warming, I have been also, yet in the last decade, by traveling, I changed my mind --- seeing the changes, the problems, I could not ignore the actual facts.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Well we can agree to disagree and you are still my favorite Tire Guru, yet there is definitely a problem with things warming. A glacier I walked on in Switzerland is virtually gone, beaches I played on at Lake Mead, as a child, are all relocated 1000 ft. back or more since the lake is drying up - 27% of full capacity. A one year possible lowering of temperature does not negate the crazy increases we have been going through this Century. Rivers drying up in Europe, drought Worldwide, I remember how much I hated being in LA in the 70s with it's air, and it is simply impossible to disregard things that have been happening to me and you for well over 4 decades. Traveling to places I spent time in 40-60 years ago, it is frightening. A temperature drop for a year or two, I am on your side, but consistent collapses of so many things on the Globe in such a fraction of a second of real Earth time, means we need to be aware and observant. Listening to friends in California, Washington, Nevada , Arizona especially, they are scared and they are primarily Republicans. Don't want this to be political, but just pointing out this fear goes across all party lines and seeing it first hand makes it a wake up call. Farmer friends are worried as the drought in the Midwest is quite serious in many spots, and many have been skeptical like you that things are warming, I have been also, yet in the last decade, by traveling, I changed my mind --- seeing the changes, the problems, I could not ignore the actual facts.
I will say that the shortage of water in the west is likely going to start affecting people a lot more all over the country before too long, especially with the CA central valley supplying produce for so much of our nation. It's getting pretty dire in Nevada and Arizona too. If the food supply keeps getting impacted in the next year or two because of this water shortage, inflation might be the least of our worries.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We ( the US ) are the Worldwide Leader in Automobiles though we are not as dominant as we used to be, yet knowing what Engineers and Marketers were doing over 10-15 years ago, the bigger fear for Ford, Stellantis, and GM is to keep pace with Global demand. China is the Global Leader in EV vehicles and with Europe pushing that way the US can not wait any longer to stay up with the current trend. I think Ford, GM, and Stellantis waited quite awhile and this industry is dynamic because it changes so quickly and the innovation is never ending. Most of us don't like the changing of the guard, even though it will take awhile to happen but this is not really a Government situation so much as we have to build product or be left at the altar. We seem to think our Government causes all these things, and often it is other sources. Stellantis, Ford and GM kept building Trucks because customers wanted them and they will continue, but the EV movement is something happening everywhere and I know many Engineers who still want to work on ICE, but the development for Electrical vehicles is behind in America and we are now playing catch up. Again this did not happen overnight, but chatting with those in the Industry it is not a GM, Ford or Stellantis issue of being in bed with the Government, so much as not letting others in the World become the dominant force in producing vehicles ( of all types ).

There are many at Ford and Stellantis who I count as friends who delayed Electrification as much as they could, but this is a simple case of building what is the current movement. I know two buddies who hate being in the EV Division but they also are worried about whether the delays have put their company behind too many others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
We ( the US ) are the Worldwide Leader in Automobiles though we are not as dominant as we used to be, yet knowing what Engineers and Marketers were doing over 10-15 years ago, the bigger fear for Ford, Stellantis, and GM is to keep pace with Global demand. China is the Global Leader in EV vehicles and with Europe pushing that way the US can not wait any longer to stay up with the current trend. I think Ford, GM, and Stellantis waited quite awhile and this industry is dynamic because it changes so quickly and the innovation is never ending. Most of us don't like the changing of the guard, even though it will take awhile to happen but this is not really a Government situation so much as we have to build product or be left at the altar. We seem to think our Government causes all these things, and often it is other sources. Stellantis, Ford and GM kept building Trucks because customers wanted them and they will continue, but the EV movement is something happening everywhere and I know many Engineers who still want to work on ICE, but the development for Electrical vehicles is behind in America and we are now playing catch up. Again this did not happen overnight, but chatting with those in the Industry it is not a GM, Ford or Stellantis issue of being in bed with the Government, so much as not letting others in the World become the dominant force in producing vehicles ( of all types ).

There are many at Ford and Stellantis who I count as friends who delayed Electrification as much as they could, but this is a simple case of building what is the current movement. I know two buddies who hate being in the EV Division but they also are worried about whether the delays have put their company behind too many others.
There is that angle too.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I wonder if part of this is a "Marketing Ploy " since cuts were coming anyway due to chip shortages, production reduction and saying that is is due to " Electrification " makes it more reasonable to some factions. Over 6-8 months ago there were rumblings of reductions coming ( blue and white collar ) and though it might be understood, some in Marketing may think this is a softer sounding fall with some believing it is necessary. Either way many saw it coming and I did think it was interesting to note part of this was workers in India as well as contractors for Ford, so it will be interesting to see how many actual US Ford Employees are affected. Either way, sad to see, and like the Bank in Australia who will only do Bank Loans on Electric Vehicles you may wonder if " Marketing " thinks this is a Politically Correct move? Over the years working in the Industry and being very fortunate to work closer to Corporate than I ever imagined, I often found that Marketing often came up with plans that really did not address the entire situation , over thinking items and trying to spin it toward what they thought would have the most or least impact. My gut reaction is Ford should have simply stated the multitude of factors affecting a reduction, yet that would be more complex an answer so, let's go with this simple one. Just my humble thought and opinion and thanks to BS1 for posting the news.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
On another note, China is curtailing power usage for EVs due to shortages from the intense drought there, so folks can not get their cars powered up. These kinds of things are why I stay optimistic that we will have ICE around longer than all the projections, why it does not bother me the World is going battery powered, the infrastructure is not there , and I just go with the rational thought process that history has shown us projections for automotive change has never in my lifetime happened as quickly as stated.

Best example to me is the last year the Challenger was to be built by Chrysler Corp ( sure the name has changed ) was 2014, then it became 2016 , then............oh yeh, they are still making it. If 2023 is the last year as stated that means it only lasted 8 model years past it's initial model discontinuation.ha.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
history has shown us projections for automotive change has never in my lifetime happened as quickly as stated.

If I was to take all the predictions from my youth as evidence/fact. We would by riding in nuclear powered cars that hovered above the ground. Nuclear as in the reaction occurs in the car. Commuting to the Moon would be an every day occurance and the Cubs would have won several world series.
Will there be, should there be a major swing towards electric cars, I believe so. It may be cheaper in the end. Will EV's replace ICE wholesale, doubtful. Will it all happen by the early 2030's??? At that prediction I can only laugh.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
If I was to take all the predictions from my youth as evidence/fact. We would by riding in nuclear powered cars that hovered above the ground. Nuclear as in the reaction occurs in the car. Commuting to the Moon would be an every day occurance and the Cubs would have won several world series.
Will there be, should there be a major swing towards electric cars, I believe so. It may be cheaper in the end. Will EV's replace ICE wholesale, doubtful. Will it all happen by the early 2030's??? At that prediction I can only laugh.

Hold tight, George Jetson is set to be born this Friday. We’re almost there…

30E299A3-3281-4987-AAB8-E313D6C926D0.jpeg

Here's another reason I would not buy an EV. What if there is some kind or paranormal activity 👻 or aliens👽 that drain my battery? I might get stuck in the middle of nowhere! I see that battery draining stuff happen on TV all of the time! If it's on TV it has to be real right?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel