The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

So on the 302S hood bandwagon, what color combination to paint it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would go with the bottom left if it were my car, but my car has the black roof and C stripes. With the hockey stripes and no black roof, I agree with fduboss302 that just the slits would look good. Since it is one piece, the gills the same color as the hood looks a little kitcar/rice imo, but blacking them out would probably make them look more like how an OEM would do it with an insert.

GA
There would definitely be the Hot Rod Black that I have had painted my spoiler and mirror caps in there somewhere. I would probably do the vents only, vents and slits, or maybe even the entire hood that color. I am thinking about getting my current rims painted this color too instead of buying the Ford Racing black rims.

I vote for the bottom left or bottom right. All black would probalby be the cheapest paint job. Yellow blaze has got to be expensive to paint.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I like the bottom left. But in the end its your car and you are the one that needs to like it. So go with what you like not what other people say.

Now I think that solid color would be cheaper to have painted. the RR 12 that has that hood in soild color looks great.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Justin said:
the RR 12 that has that hood in soild color looks great.

That's my car; him and I are friends IRL, I think it pushed him over the edge when I got mine :)

Personally I'd go bottom left, but that's also the way mine's painted. I've had a number of people comment on the pinstripe around the black and they say that really makes it. I think matte black looks the best, but not sure about maintaining it. I went with gloss and I'm told it looks great, but there's something pretty BA about a matte black hood.

I got mine solid matte black and it looks great. However I have the plan to go with the bottom left pattern. Two reasons, it stays with the Boss theme both new and old and second I like not having the glare from a gloss color when out on track. The top right is a great look and I considered that except for the second reason.

SebringTG7-1.jpg
ScreenHunter_06Jun202020.jpg

i like the flat look.
but on mine i am thinking of going the flat sterling silver/gray.
then on the vents ill go with the sby color. kinda like a reverse of the bottom left.
changing the black to the sterling gray matte finish of course.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
here's some other real world examples:
(images borrowed from scott and raceshotsresource.com)
Top left:
540423_10150998618610888_1231862135_n.jpg

Bottom left:
306771_10150999133185888_547258418_n.jpg

Top right:
531338_10150998605235888_1024322452_n.jpg

Bottom right (Thanks Scott!):
SebringTG7-1.jpg

gremlinsteve said:
i like the flat look.
but on mine i am thinking of going the flat sterling silver/gray.
then on the vents ill go with the sby color. kinda like a reverse of the bottom left.
changing the black to the sterling gray matte finish of course.

Doh! I thought and wrote that wrong, upper right but yellow vents and the rest black is what I had considered as a second choose. At one time I was thinking of going with the bottom left but yellow square in the middle and black around the edges but decided on the opposite for the reason mentioned.

Steve I think that will look sweet on your car. I have not seen the SBY w/gray in person but really liked it on the black car I saw. I was unsure I would like the gray at first but that changed the moment I saw it. There are several great ways to do this and all will look nice in the end.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
could always do the plasti-dip to see what you like before you commit to paint.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBWaSDmj0g[/youtube]

I wasn't sure about the black roof initially, but now I wouldn't go without it. I talked a friend with a 5.0 into one on his GB and now with the Tiger hood (black center) it looks killer. IMO there would be too much body color (orange) if the roof wasn't black. It's such a bright color that the black roof really tames it down and I think makes a great accent.

TMO Supporting Vendors