The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

So this is what I did Sunday....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had what I would describe as a mechanical failure. The video pretty much shows what happened, http://youtu.be/l6yDNQMbUpM. My question now is what would you suggest as a replacement car. I am not sure the motor is good or if it is there is going to be some serious work that will need to be done since it probably rev'ed to 8500. My Dad and I would like to replace the car with another Fox and do a Termi swap again but I feel like that would end up being more expensive than the other option which is to buy a friends Cobra for 18k and work that up to being track ready.
tPWUbIH.jpg

Ouch I'm glad you're ok. Do you have any idea of what happened?

Have you considered an early S197 GT? With the specs classes out there you have lots of inexpensive options to make it fly on track.

http://www.cortexracing.com/spec-mustang/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=l6yDNQMbUpM

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Holy SH!T dude, are you OK?

+1 on the early S197 option; find the right car under $10K and you can get a Coyote crate swap kit for another ~$7500.

Other than that, dare I say it...C5 Corvette?

NFSBOSS said:
Ouch I'm glad you're ok. Do you have any idea of what happened?

Have you considered an early S197 GT? With the specs classes out there you have lots of inexpensive options to make it fly on track.

http://www.cortexracing.com/spec-mustang/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=l6yDNQMbUpM

two laps before going off it was hard to go into 4th, I figured since I was shifting around 7k that it might have been I was pushing it to hard. The lap I went off I was at the top of 3rd, roughly 120, and instead of 4th it went right into 2nd.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Holy SH!T dude, are you OK?

+1 on the early S197 option; find the right car under $10K and you can get a Coyote crate swap kit for another ~$7500.

Other than that, dare I say it...C5 Corvette?

That is an option but my dad really likes Foxes and so do I, we are pretty much just a Mustang family. I have a minor concussion but other than that I am fine, surprisingly.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
two laps before going off it was hard to go into 4th, I figured since I was shifting around 7k that it might have been I was pushing it to hard. The lap I went off I was at the top of 3rd, roughly 120, and instead of 4th it went right into 2nd.
[/quote]

Done that.

It does tend to bring the rear around....real quick like.

TMSBOSS said:
Done that.

It does tend to bring the rear around....real quick like.

That it did, I am wondering what caused it since the trans had maybe 5k miles on it, not all track either, and had been completely gone through before we ever started tracking it.

NFSBOSS said:
Great, it probably saved you from serious harm. Another data point for anyone tracking their car on a regular basis to add a roll bar and harnesses and add a Hans while you're at it.
We will certainly be getting a Hans along with the next car to make sure our necks don't have issues if this ever happens again.

F.D. Sako said:
NOOOO!
Was it a 3-2 mis-shift?

I'm glad you're ok!
Now I'll be thinking about your accident over the weekend when I'm going down that straight.

Yes it was, I doubt that would happen especially with Steve's bracket installed.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Brandon302 said:
Yes it was, I doubt that would happen especially with Steve's bracket installed.

Are you running a Tremec?

I had the 2-3 shift at Miller driving the FR-500. Thought it was a fluke (read stupid driver).

Then my instructor asked me if this is what happened. No other questions, happened on back side of track, no indication of what or why. Curious he suspected the shift.

A year later I was talking with a NASA instructor at brothers shop. He was having his wife's 1967 Camaro 396 convert tribute worked on. He mentioned a wreck he say the previous weekend. A Tremec equipped Mustang had same issue. He stated this was the third time on that track he had witnessed a Tremec shifted 3-2. Interesting.

No saying the driver in my case was not the primary cause.....no one elst was in the car LOL. Just sayin that we need to be very cautious when shifting without a MGW of similar shifter

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
Great, it probably saved you from serious harm. Another data point for anyone tracking their car on a regular basis to add a roll bar and harnesses and add a Hans while you're at it.

No joke. Despite the cost of the HANS, it pays for itself if you need it. No reason NOT to have one if you have a roll bar and harnesses.

TMSBOSS said:
Are you running a Tremec?

I had the 2-3 shift at Miller driving the FR-500. Thought it was a fluke (read stupid driver).

Then my instructor asked me if this is what happened. No other questions, happened on back side of track, no indication of what or why. Curious he suspected the shift.

A year later I was talking with a NASA instructor at brothers shop. He was having his wife's 1967 Camaro 396 convert tribute worked on. He mentioned a wreck he say the previous weekend. A Tremec equipped Mustang had same issue. He stated this was the third time on that track he had witnessed a Tremec shifted 3-2. Interesting.

No saying the driver in my case was not the primary cause.....no one elst was in the car LOL. Just sayin that we need to be very cautious when shifting without a MGW of similar shifter

It did have a T56 in it, I want to say it was an issue with the trans because I had trouble going into 4th 2 laps prior, almost similar to the MT82 when you rev match+down shift and hit a wall.

Very lucky, considering you rolled the car at 120mph. Glad you walked away from that. Time for a 6 point harness and roll bar for the boss...

Shaun12 said:
Very lucky, considering you rolled the car at 120mph. Glad you walked away from that. Time for a 6 point harness and roll bar for the boss...

Probably won't be putting a roll bar in the car since I wouldn't be able to use the rear seats anymore, unless there is a legal/safe way to have the middle of the hoop removed.

TMO Supporting Vendors