The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

so where am I going wrong? spec racing tires..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was talking to an individual the other day about a new series and tire rules. He made a statement that they were discussing the use of DOT tires for the series, I told them I was dead against it, here's why..
The rich guys are going to buy new rubber, shave it to minimum spec, and burn up the same amount of tires as with race rubber. The poor guy, is going to buy those same tires, not shave them so they'd last, run slow and by the time the tires got down to a decent tread depth they would be heat cycled out anyway, which makes him still slow.
Not only that but quality DOT tires are as expensive as race rubber these days..well, some race rubber anyway, IMO there's no reason to run DOT tires unless the manufacturer is going to throw money at the series.
In fact, I would force everyone to run some $600/set, 15 inch, bias ply late model stock car tires on 10 inch wide Basset steel wheels, pretty much cutting the cost of the set by 2/3rds.
If they complain about brakes, Outlaw, Wilwood and others make great brakes for short track cars that will take a beating and fit in a 15 inch wheel, using a 12 inch rotor.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I was talking to an individual the other day about a new series and tire rules. He made a statement that they were discussing the use of DOT tires for the series, I told them I was dead against it, here's why..
The rich guys are going to buy new rubber, shave it to minimum spec, and burn up the same amount of tires as with race rubber. The poor guy, is going to buy those same tires, not shave them so they'd last, run slow and by the time the tires got down to a decent tread depth they would be heat cycled out anyway, which makes him still slow.
Not only that but quality DOT tires are as expensive as race rubber these days..well, some race rubber anyway, IMO there's no reason to run DOT tires unless the manufacturer is going to throw money at the series.
In fact, I would force everyone to run some $600/set, 15 inch, bias ply late model stock car tires on 10 inch wide Basset steel wheels, pretty much cutting the cost of the set by 2/3rds.
If they complain about brakes, Outlaw, Wilwood and others make great brakes for short track cars that will take a beating and fit in a 15 inch wheel, using a 12 inch rotor.
agree completely.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I also completely agree. I ran GT1 for 10 years and then super late models on asphalt for the next 10 yrs. The oval track guys are way better about rules and costs. In addition to the tires, wheels and brakes that Blacksheep mentioned, we had shock rules (approx $150 each), 9:1 compression and 390cfm 4v carbs. Those engines ran forever with very little maintenance. You couldn't get enough air into them to rev higher than 7500 and the 9:1 made them indestructible.

In my opinion road racing would have better racing and with more cars and teams if they implemented stricter rules. Than maybe this would lead to more fans and more purse money.

I used to bring $500 to $1000 cash to an scca national to buy tires, fuel, whatever and then leave with a plaque. At the ovals, I used to leave with an extra $500 (or more) in my pocket after paying for everything.

There used to be a saying that is a bit out dated now but it goes ..... in Nascar you race a $100k car for a $1M purse, in IMSA you race a $1M car for $10k purse. There were various versions but all the same theme and mostly true.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I also completely agree. I ran GT1 for 10 years and then super late models on asphalt for the next 10 yrs. The oval track guys are way better about rules and costs. In addition to the tires, wheels and brakes that Blacksheep mentioned, we had shock rules (approx $150 each), 9:1 compression and 390cfm 4v carbs. Those engines ran forever with very little maintenance. You couldn't get enough air into them to rev higher than 7500 and the 9:1 made them indestructible.

In my opinion road racing would have better racing and with more cars and teams if they implemented stricter rules. Than maybe this would lead to more fans and more purse money.

I used to bring $500 to $1000 cash to an scca national to buy tires, fuel, whatever and then leave with a plaque. At the ovals, I used to leave with an extra $500 (or more) in my pocket after paying for everything.

There used to be a saying that is a bit out dated now but it goes ..... in Nascar you race a $100k car for a $1M purse, in IMSA you race a $1M car for $10k purse. There were various versions but all the same theme and mostly true.

I'm an old Oval track guy too and agree 100%.
However I would change "stricter rules" to "smarter rules."
I hate rules that limit creativity and innovation, but I love rules that make racing more affordable by keeping costs down and cars more durable.

I think the incentive, here, is that the local short track needs butts in the seats to pay for the program, in "other" road racing series, the money comes from the entry, which makes racer47's statement about car $ vs prize $ absolutely true. The local late model and sprint car guys used to get paid to show up, at least $250 to pay for the tow, the purse was $1500. I think entry into PWC is $3K or more these days, not sure about SCCA anymore.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I think the incentive, here, is that the local short track needs butts in the seats to pay for the program, in "other" road racing series, the money comes from the entry, which makes racer47's statement about car $ vs prize $ absolutely true. The local late model and sprint car guys used to get paid to show up, at least $250 to pay for the tow, the purse was $1500. I think entry into PWC is $3K or more these days, not sure about SCCA anymore.
Exactly, I traveled the western states and made my living racing and selling cars and parts. Now its all negative cash flow. NASA wants 500 bucks entry to burn up a few thousand dollars worth of tires and zero prize money? How the hell did I get mixed up in this?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel