The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Somber reminder of safety gear importance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
This has nothing to do with high performance driving, but shows the importance of safety gear for those of us who do.
As Rick often states, anything less than a full cage, 6 point harness w/ HANS, full race suit, fire suppression, etc, is a compromise we have to consciously understand.

Last weekend I was the second person to came across a single-car accident where an SN95 Mustang went into the ditch while driving down a rural paved road.
The car went into the ditch about 20 degrees angle off the road, nose dived into the rising side of the ditch, did a 180 degree turn and came to a stop.
The airbag activated, hood came off, driver window came off, front clip and headlights off, battery flew out of car, etc.

The driver had gotten out of the vehicle and was laying down when I got there, and had a deep laceration from top of nose to hair line. Left shoulder and leg hurting but no visible injury. Luckily the cut which wasn't bleeding very bad was the worst visible injury. Don't understand how the forehead laceration happened, but doing a 180 thru the ditch can easily cause flailing and contact with all sorts of things inside a car.

Bottom line--this happened on a 55 mph road (assuming that was the car's speed). My philosophy is when Murphy shows up at a track event, nothing good can happen above 80 mph.
Did I like putting my roll bar, HANS, and harness on my credit card this summer? No, its a lot of money. But after seeing the results of a public road accident, am I even more sure it was money well spent for road course safety? Absolutely.

So I'll second Rick's posts--safety first, then performance mods. Be safe on the road and track.

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like the driver was going to be ok. On track you have the added complication that something bad can happen to someone else and collect you at the same time. Be safe out there.

drano38

Wayne
I agree, anything can happen--our car, or us getting involved in someone else's issue.

Yes, driver had a stable pulse and heart rate when the ambulance got there, and I'm sure is recovering fine. Hope the forehead laceration (appeared scull deep before I covered it with my T-shirt) doesn't leave too bad of a scar.
The mustang was most likely totaled, but that's OK, we can build new cars. People are all that matters in accidents.

DOM529

302 in 416
Thanks for sharing and reminding about the dangers and has nothing to do with your capabilities.
Mechanical or part failures can happen and you're at the mercy of momentum and whatever stands in front of it.
Thanks again!

Speaking of safety, if you get a Watson bar, how do you buckle up with a harness...I can see how the straps come from the bar...but where do they come up from the floor...I think I have seen on other cars (porsche) where they come up through the seat. How does it work with the stock recaros? Any pics showing it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The 5-6 point strap will attach at the rear of the seat and route between the seat bottom and seat back laying on the cushion.
06mach1 makes a mounting bar or you can buy clips from CoolTech that allow you to,mount the sub belt to the seat mount bolts.

drano38

Wayne
johna,

TMSBOSS posted what I, and several others have done.
CoolTech clips for lap belt anchors.
http://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-boss-302-parts-accessories/32-harness-clip-set-both-seats.html

Member 06mach1 makes great anchor bar for the anti-sub belts.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8192.0

The CoolTech clips can hold clips for both the lap and sub belts. But 06mach1's sub belt anchor bar has a better location to clip the sub belts to.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel