The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Some new mods - maybe even one you haven't seen before?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a garage full of some performance mods awaiting install ("302s" dampers, p-springs, adj panhard bar, LCA's w/ relo brackets, MM camber plates, FRPP studs and lugs, etc...and the MGW shifter)...but got my SRP pedals installed (it wasn't that hard, after all)...and a handful of exterior cosmetic (with small performance implications) mods done...thought I'd show off the new look.

I did:
- 302s grill - kept it black, which I really like - they forgot to ship me the emblem so there's no emblem on there now
- GT500 rear spoiler - I was torn between it and the LS spoiler...just knew I wanted something more substantial that the stocker...and given the ease of install / uninstall on the gt500 unit, I chose it. OE unit I had painted gloss black with the gurney flap painted white. Not sure I'll keep the flap white...but it's fun to try it.
- copied Rick with the LS gas cap with the outer area painted flat black to match...hard to see in the pics, but looks great up close. LS is my 'home' track for driving and I camp with my family and race bicycles there every year (have for the last 16 years in a row at the sea otter classic) so I have a lot of connection to the place...
- had the mirror caps painted flat black. I've been wanting to do this since day 1. I REALLY like how this came out.
- added 302s wheels shod with OE Corsa's that I bought as new take-offs for ridiculously cheap.
- added the Roush side skirts. I like them...don't love them. but, again, nice to mix it up.

Edit: Rick was nice enough to help add some pics, below...but more pics here, for those interested:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/cosmetic-mods-trying-few-new-things-510253/

Looking good. Of course I thought the white Gurney flap was a brilliant idea. ;) I'd have to see it in person but it might look better on a white striped car with the spoiler painted the body color. The 302S wheels look SO MUCH BETTER than the stock wheels. The mirrors look good too and I really like the new emblem. :D When do the suspension pieces go on? Did you read my comments in my suspension thread?

You have more bikes than I do.

tic-mods-trying-few-new-things-boss-side-view-test.jpg
etic-mods-trying-few-new-things-boss-gt500-spoiler.jpg

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Don't get Justin started, I can tell he's itching to do yet another upgrade to his PW Boss. :-X

I basically stole all these ideas from Rick. but I didn't see a 'TM' after them, so I thought they were public domain. ;-)

the white gurney flap would look great on a white-striped car.

the gas cap really does look killer in person.

and, fwiw, not only is the gt500 spoiler a lot better than the stocker...it just looks right on the car...very natural.

suspension goes on next week...and, yes, read the thread and saw your pics...sure makes me want to drive LS!!!

I'll be out there in a couple weeks for a day in one of skippy's formula cars...I run down there and do lapping days in those cars pretty frequently...they're fun little cars...and there's just something about an open wheel / open cockpit car to make you feel like you're reeeeaaalllly moving!

Well I don't have the 302S wheels...yet.

Painting the black wart on the emblem is another minor touch but it really looks a lot better.

I've done a Skip Barber formula Ford car class before but it was almost two decades ago at Sears Point. I did it because I'm into F1 and IndyCar racing and wanted to see what it was like. I did a ride along in a two seat IndyCar a couple of years ago at Fontana and that was wild. We hit 190 on the back stretch.

Very nice mods. Looks fantastic! I think you should replace that antenna with a stubby antenna.....they look awesome and no problem with reception either.....

UPRAntenna5.png

where do you get the stubby one?

funny, I have some sort of metal block or something because I don't even seen the antenna when I look at the car...but, then, in the pics...hmmm, it does look big.

302S suspension look like the regular 302 suspension? Like enough to ahem not be noticed? Trying to figure out my set up for TT. Or maybe someone has an LS suspension take-off you they would be willing to part with for a reasonable price.

CaliMR said:
302S suspension look like the regular 302 suspension? Like enough to ahem not be noticed? Trying to figure out my set up for TT. Or maybe someone has an LS suspension take-off you they would be willing to part with for a reasonable price.
Maybe but it's not really 302S suspension. It's the Ford Racing SVT suspension from their handling pack. The 302S comes stock with coilovers. These dampers are Tokico that are built to Multimatic's specs and they work very well.

Maybe I could just have the stock ones rebuilt, with 2 track days now I am pretty sure the front is pretty under damped and the rear is fairly close. Tires are telling me rear is over damped but if I lower it from 5 it gets a little too loose. I'm fighting pretty hard to keep from turning it into a track car, as I really can't afford to ball it up.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Car looks great!!! I like the grille being all black...it may have been added to my list.

ace72ace said:
Don't get Justin started, I can tell he's itching to do yet another upgrade to his PW Boss. :-X
Shh dont tell the GF

TMO Supporting Vendors