The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Some pics from BIR last weekend - Reclaiming #9

I just found some photos from BIR last weekend. I usually run as #9, but since it was a PCA event and the GT3 that "owned" #9 was there, I had to run as #6. Here are some shots shortly before passing #9. We chased down the front straight passing about half dozen cars before I eventually got by him between turns 3 and 4. We both got a late point by from Mr. M3 "MOVOVR" and drove the track marbles on the high side of Turn 1 at 140 :eek: A friend following in an older M3 said it looked like it was going to be carnage :D

http://sportshotphoto.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4815&g2_page=1
 
Very nice. I see there was a GT3 RS there. Did you have a chance to go wheel to wheel with that car?

main.php


Or this 997 GT3?

main.php


Nice to see an early 356 out there. Was it real or a kit car?

main.php
 
I did pass the RS but shouldn't have been able to. He was new to tracking the car so not a good comparison. I was happy that I was competitive against GT3s and that says a lot for the Boss, but the RS with an experienced driver is too much for the Boss. Of course they cost almost 4 times as much. Maybe with Trackey? :p
 
713
65
cloud9 said:
I did pass the RS but shouldn't have been able to. He was new to tracking the car so not a good comparison. I was happy that I was competitive against GT3s and that says a lot for the Boss, but the RS with an experienced driver is too much for the Boss. Of course they cost almost 4 times as much. Maybe with Trackey? :p

Definitely with Track key, it's going to be like adding Turbo's!! 8)
 
Rick, I ran toe to toe with the 997 white GT3 and #9 black. Both were good drivers and we each passed each other during different sessions we were that close. The black one was not stock, but didn't get a chance to find out everything done to it. The 356 was real and REAL slow. Thankfully he wasn't in my run group.
 
LOL Bossjockey. Yea they don’t even offer a 70 for the rear but you're right if they did they'd lock up every time when the tires almost leave the ground. Unfortunately never got to the Hoosiers as I corded the Nittos in my very last session. Wish I would have as I am not sure whether to reorder the Nittos or switch to Hoosiers on the Enkeis ???
 
cloud9 said:
Rick, I ran toe to toe with the 997 white GT3 and #9 black. Both were good drivers and we each passed each other during different sessions we were that close. The black one was not stock river but didn't get a chance to find out everything done to it. The 356 was real and REAL slow. Thankfully he wasn't in my run group.
Sounds like a fun time.

You should order up some Forgestar F14's in 9.5 and 11.0 widths for your new tires. ;)
 
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
Rick, I ran toe to toe with the 997 white GT3 and #9 black. Both were good drivers and we each passed each other during different sessions we were that close. The black one was not stock river but didn't get a chance to find out everything done to it. The 356 was real and REAL slow. Thankfully he wasn't in my run group.
Sounds like a fun time.

You should order up some Forgestar F14's in 9.5 and 11.0 widths for your new tires. ;)
Thinking about it but not sure what size tires will work. The Forgestar rep told me a 295 was too big for the front, but I'm not sure that's true. I have plenty of room with the 285 Nitto and the R6 isn't that much wider....about .38" overall. He also warned of rubbing in the rear if lowered, which I'm not. It's strange, the R6 285 says it needs a 10-11" rim and the 295 says 9.5-11" ???
 
ArizonaGT said:
What are your thoughts on the various tires you've run so far?
Well I'm kind of an idiot for hauling my Hoosiers on the LS wheels to the track no less than 3 times now and never putting them on. I always end up getting just enough life out of the Nittos to where I cord them on the last session.

I ran the NT01s 275/40/18 square and while the tires stuck good, the persistent oversteer wasn't good. I finished off a set of 305/35/18 and 275/35/18 R888s and they were 1.5 seconds faster than the square NT01s. I've run three full sets of Nitto 555RII 305/35/18 rear and 285/35/18 front and they are wicked fast in those sizes. Problem is I get about 10 sessions per set and they're toast.....400 miles per set roughly. I need to order tires......but not sure.

I'm considering (for 18 x 10.5 and 18 x 9.5 rims):

Toyo R888 315/30/18 (25.5" tall) 285/30/18 (24.8" tall)
Nitto 555RII 305/35/18 (26.3" tall) 285/35/18 (25.9" tall)
Hoosier R6 295/30/18 (25.3" tall) 275/35/18 (25.5" tall)

I'm conflicted...........
 
cloud9 said:
Thinking about it but not sure what size tires will work. The Forgestar rep told me a 295 was too big for the front, but I'm not sure that's true. I have plenty of room with the 285 Nitto and the R6 isn't that much wider....about .38" overall. He also warned of rubbing in the rear if lowered, which I'm not. It's strange, the R6 285 says it needs a 10-11" rim and the 295 says 9.5-11" ???
Check with Sam Strano but I'm pretty sure he has run 315's on the front but I'm not sure of camber or wheel offset he used.
 
Just talked to a friend that works for a major supplier and he told me there is going to be a price increase on Nittos. He did not say how much but told me to get them now if I can.
 
They're already up from what I can tell. I had to pay almost $100 more for the last set and looks to be $100 more again now. That's why I'm considering R888s or R6s since there's not the big price advantage there was before.........
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,523
2,330
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
ArizonaGT said:
What are your thoughts on the various tires you've run so far?
Well I'm kind of an idiot for hauling my Hoosiers on the LS wheels to the track no less than 3 times now and never putting them on. I always end up getting just enough life out of the Nittos to where I cord them on the last session.

I ran the NT01s 275/40/18 square and while the tires stuck good, the persistent oversteer wasn't good. I finished off a set of 305/35/18 and 275/35/18 R888s and they were 1.5 seconds faster than the square NT01s. I've run three full sets of Nitto 555RII 305/35/18 rear and 285/35/18 front and they are wicked fast in those sizes. Problem is I get about 10 sessions per set and they're toast.....400 miles per set roughly. I need to order tires......but not sure.

I'm considering (for 18 x 10.5 and 18 x 9.5 rims):

Toyo R888 315/30/18 (25.5" tall) 285/30/18 (24.8" tall)
Nitto 555RII 305/35/18 (26.3" tall) 285/35/18 (25.9" tall)
Hoosier R6 295/30/18 (25.3" tall) 275/35/18 (25.5" tall)

I'm conflicted...........

Interesting info.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,523
2,330
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
What are you thinking Drew........

I am just a die-hard NT01 fan, I guess. Great grip and longevity for the price. 275/40/18, please!

Looks like I'll have to go to that Strano adjustable rear bar to run a square setup, both of which I plan on doing. Will try the stock bar for a few sessions/first day to see how she feels.

I need to get to the track soon. There are too many "laws" and "limits" on the street to give this car the exercise that it is begging for.

Won't be able to report back until mid-September at best, however.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top