The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Some random thoughts after the first few days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimprw said:
Gary, when you are able to comment on it, I'd appreciate knowing what kind of mileage you're getting right out of the chute. Besides overall cost and more balanced performance, one of the reasons I waited for a Boss rather than getting a GT500 was that when I am tooling around daily driving and heading out to the wide open spaces the Boss should be better on the gas - unless I've got my foot in the throttle, which for awhile I'm sure will be the case.
Just filled up last night and got 14, but it's still in "break in" :) meaning I'm following Ford's recommendation of varying my speeds :) Your mileage may vary.

At least that's a starting point...and like you said, it's both break in and, I'm sure, some moderately aggressive driving to boot. Thanks!

jimprw said:
it's both break in and, I'm sure, some moderately aggressive driving to boot.
Aren't those one in the same? :) I haven't performed any EXTENDED wide open throttle maneuvers. Just trying to break it in with a variety of uses including aggressive accel and decel without sustaining WOT, which of course isn't conducive to the most efficient MPG.

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least
100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle
maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before performance/
competition conditions. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.

GA
cloud9 said:
jimprw said:
it's both break in and, I'm sure, some moderately aggressive driving to boot.
Aren't those one in the same? :) I haven't performed any EXTENDED wide open throttle maneuvers. Just trying to break it in with a variety of uses including aggressive accel and decel without sustaining WOT, which of course isn't conducive to the most efficient MPG.

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least
100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle
maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before performance/
competition conditions. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.

Like learning how to drive stick, for example. ;) That is how I broke in my Bullitt. ;D

atrain1975

I'm having four Polk Audio MM571 5"x7" 2-way installed tomorrow, along with a 5-channel kicker amp and a JL Audio flatbox sub. I'm keeping the stock head unit and the installer is putting in some kind of interface (don't really know what that is). Equipment came from Crutchfield which had a good deal on Polk speakers. I'll post reviews after the installation tomorrow.

With the discs removed and windows down, the stereo needs enhancement.

atrain1975 said:
I'm having four Polk Audio MM571 5"x7" 2-way installed tomorrow, along with a 5-channel kicker amp and a JL Audio flatbox sub. I'm keeping the stock head unit and the installer is putting in some kind of interface (don't really know what that is). Equipment came from Crutchfield which had a good deal on Polk speakers. I'll post reviews after the installation tomorrow.

Yea I was wondering about that. I almost never have my windows up driving my Mustang but it's been so freaking cold since I got the Boss I've only had them down once. I noticed the stereo needed enhancement too :) Looking forward to hearing your results.

Gary
I agree with all, you must be getting some nice performance at those temps! I have gotten way better at shifting but still not there yet. I sat in a GT at the dealer and it seems that the shifter is different, not as close and leaves a little room for error. Second to third is much better for now but when running high RPM/speed I still have a tendency to force it and that just does not work out well. When you do hit it right the car is incredible, only problem is not wanting to sift to say at the high RPM's. I want to make a set of disc's and start with 1/2 holes. It is not over loud but would like to find a nice balance for me.

I am at 3/3 now and it feels comfortable, I can feel the road but it does not kill me over bumps. I want to get use to each setting before I change, I will get to 5 someday. Beside I need a magnifying glass to read it, dam eyes.

atrain1975

cloud9 said:
atrain1975 said:

Yea I was wondering about that. I almost never have my windows up driving my Mustang but it's been so freaking cold since I got the Boss I've only had them down once. I noticed the stereo needed enhancement too :) Looking forward to hearing your results.

Unfortunately, the Kicker amp was defective and has been discontinued. I will have an Alpine PDX-5 installed this week and will post a review. I can say now even w/o the amp the Polk speakers are a huge improvement over the factory speakers.

TMO Supporting Vendors