The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Something to think about for those that want to change the suspension...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have been told the Boss street car is very good in stock form by someone in the know. I believed him, but didn't think it was this good. I was wrong....

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_1204_ford_mustang_boss_302_vs_302s/viewall.html

mustang920 said:
nice article now i know im gona stick to staggered set up.

You need to reread the article..............

To reduce one major variable Paul suggested we use a set of Pirelli race tires from his car on the street car, which we did. This made our comparison much closer and is typical open-track practice where owners often have a dedicated set of track wheels and tires. You'll want to spot your Boss about four seconds per lap from our numbers when running on its stock tires while open-tracking.

Then look at the "Tech Specs"

The tires? Pirelli PZero 305/645-18 racing slicks all the way around.........................

Read more: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_1204_ford_mustang_boss_302_vs_302s/viewall.html#ixzz1o6yrSY6K

The downside in the powertrain is the six-speed manual's shifter, which remains attached half to the transmission and half on the bodywork. In daily driving or even smoothly hustled along back roads this linkage is quick shifting and pleasantly isolated from the underhood hurly burly, but bang the shift at high rpm and at best you hit a brick wall in the neutral gate, or worse, generate a sickening high-speed grinding. You sure as heck won't grab a gear. This is the Boss 302's weakest feature.

Read more: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_1204_ford_mustang_boss_302_vs_302s/viewall.html#ixzz1o70Eiv6R

This is the same problem I'm having. Has anyone else experienced this and what is the fix?

Posted in your thread, but people seem to like the MGW shifter. There area few threads, see if your problem is similar to one in there and if the shifter fixed it.

After talking to MGW and discussing the design of the shifter being bolted to the floor, including theirs, granted which is way improved over stock, they agreed that polyurethene motor and transmission mounts would help out shifting even more.

im a big f1 fan also and they use staggered setup 305to355mm in front and 355to380 in the rear that should have some meaning for their setups.

"Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got nekkid chick...

Well I remember that episode of King of the Hill where Boomhauer got to drive the pace car and Dale Earnhart, Sr was on there, dang. So a square setup must be good.

I attended the Grand-Am race at Laguna Seca last July and was surprised when the Multimatic car qualifying times were only 5 seconds a lap faster than the time Motor Trend put down in a boss. 1:35:xx to 1:40:xx. Not apples to apples I know but our cars are capable of going pretty fast.

http://www.grand-am.com/news/index.cfm?series=k&cid=43940

ArizonaGT said:
The street cars are good, but 5 seconds is an eternity out on track.
That makes good sense - the stuff about lap times against the Camaro is great, though.

Still, I recall the first thing the professor said in the two statistics classes I took - you can make the numbers look any way you want them to. So much of the track time depends on the driver. Put Allmendinger in one and see what the lap times are compared to any journalist team writing for a mag and I'll bet the farm you'll see more than a couple of seconds difference with the same set up as well.

Suffice it to say - the Boss is one heck of a driver's car - for the money and even without the cost factor involved.

My stats prof said there is no lie like a true statistic

None of these times and reviews can be taken too seriously, I mean yeah an FXX is going to be faster than a Boxter but once it gets down to even a 5 second gap, driver skill and style can make big differences. Even if a machine drove the cars perfectly, that still isn't how they will necessarily shake out with real people driving them. If you like square, then go square. If it oversteers, then you can play with the sways and stuff. FWIW I knocked several seconds off my lap times in my old car by getting a CG lock and some driving gloves.

The one thing I would suggest is to figure out what you want to do, get it dialed in, then don't **** with it. I know plenty of people who try to optimize settings for individual tracks and conditions (other than really basic stuff like tire pressure) and they are always the people complaining they lost because something was set wrong. The really fast guys I know just set the car up balanced well and drive it that way. I asked a few of them, and they all said the same thing: that way you know 100% what the car is going to do. You have to adapt your driving to the track and conditions, so why make it more complex by having to adapt to the changed car settings too.

CaliMR said:
The one thing I would suggest is to figure out what you want to do, get it dialed in, then don't **** with it. I know plenty of people who try to optimize settings for individual tracks and conditions (other than really basic stuff like tire pressure) and they are always the people complaining they lost because something was set wrong. The really fast guys I know just set the car up balanced well and drive it that way. I asked a few of them, and they all said the same thing: that way you know 100% what the car is going to do. You have to adapt your driving to the track and conditions, so why make it more complex by having to adapt to the changed car settings too.
I subscribe to this theory.

drano38

Wayne
I'll be square, and today got the Strano front and rear bars.
I'll set the front to full stiff, then figure out where the rear one needs to be (on full stiff its weaker than the Boss bar). At that point, I agree--throw away the wrenches and leave it alone.

Did some of you not even read the article??? PAUL BROWN, World Challenge Champion, son of Kenny Brown, been around Mustangs his whole life, phenomenal driver, real PROFESSIONAL, wheeled a stock Boss within 5 seconds of a FULL BLOWN RACE version. Lighter, a lot more aero, way better suspension, better brakes, very familiar to the driver.... They put the same square tires on the street car, and we know this isn't ideal without adjusting sway bars, and still came within 5 seconds...

Are you really arguing the definition of statistics and what a stat is or isn't??? Are you really saying this proves nothing? That on any given day, any given driver, yada yada yada? This was the same driver, same day, same track, two different cars compared side to side by a TOP level driver. On top of it all the author was 5 seconds a lap different as well. I think this shows more than vague stats...

Yes 5 seconds is big gap per lap......when we are talking about identical cars! We are talking about a showroom street legal car vs, again, it's full blow racecar version...!!!

I've lost complete faith in some of you......... ;)

Doesn't mean you will be that fast in the Boss, even with the same tires. As you said, he is a pro and he actually races a Boss S. Compare his times against a C&D hack in a Z06 and it means nothing. Also with the tires, it doesn't mean much to compare a boss on those tires against similar cars on street tires.

TMO Supporting Vendors