The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Something you learned at Track Attack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I am going out to Boss Track Attack June 6th and 7th. I know everyone has said it was a great experience and I am looking forward to it. I was wondering for those who have gone, has there been one thing you learned that was an ah-ha moment or something that just seemed opposite of what you thought it should be?
Thanks,
Brian

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Well, one thing that I hate to admit is that I was downshifting too early. I was already heel/toe rev matching...but doing it too early is 'more for show' than performance driving.

The engagement point for the FR500S clutch was way higher than I expected. Coming from the T/A prepped Boss and my two Mustangs...it felt waaay different.

Don't leave your GoPro 'on' in your first session on day 1. :(

You need to grow an extra pair to drive a race car in the rain. I think I only grew a third.

Oh, the last and most important lesson I learned on the Hot Laps...I can't drive as well as I thought. :)

1. Drink water. Drink water. Drink water. Drink more water. Don't skip it.

2. Amazing how quickly you can learn the track-------when you pay full attention during the "learn the track" drive with the instructor.

3. The old adage ------- you will go where you look. Keep your head up and look ahead.

4. Brake, Brake, Brake, let off brake at right time; you will feel it and know it ------ easy to make mistake and keep braking into turn ------ give it good gas coming out. Sometimes, good to sacrifice some speed going in but take advantage and hit full gas going out.

Bay Area
I have previous track experience from motorcycles so learnign the track was easy. What I really learned was how F^%King awesome these cars really are. I thought I was pushing the car to the limit and then when we did the ride along with the instructor I was super stoked about the cars handling (for a fairly stock car) and I just told the driver I guess I need to get some more track time in.

But if its your first track day, pay attention to brake markers and apexes. You also need to go slow to go fast. I hope that makes sense to you.

batman48195

byronj said:
I have previous track experience from motorcycles so learnign the track was easy. What I really learned was how F^%King awesome these cars really are. I thought I was pushing the car to the limit and then when we did the ride along with the instructor I was super stoked about the cars handling (for a fairly stock car) and I just told the driver I guess I need to get some more track time in.

But if its your first track day, pay attention to brake markers and apexes. You also need to go slow to go fast. I hope that makes sense to you.

It does. Thanks!

Brian

BOSS343

Theory of 1
Brian,

Where you comin from? and you are going to be the the 6th AND 7th of June in 2013? That is when I will be there!

Paul

drano38

Wayne
I actually figured out heal/toe at Track Attack, and continued to get better on subsequent track days.
And as ArizonaGT said, the altitude really takes a lot of power from the Boss. So feel free to get on the power earlier than you think you can. I was on the west track, and it was basically apex/smooth to full throttle.
Be aggressive--whats the worst thing that can happen--you put their car in the dirt? But if you do go off track, go straight to minimize a rollover.
Its a great time, so enjoy.

batman48195

BOSS343 said:
Brian,

Where you comin from? and you are going to be the the 6th AND 7th of June in 2013? That is when I will be there!

Paul

Paul
I'm coming from Detroit. Flying in the 6th and flying out on the 8th. I'm bringing my 22 year old son, Clark. I'm looking forward to meeting you.
Brian

BOSS343

Theory of 1
batman48195 said:
Paul
I'm coming from Detroit. Flying in the 6th and flying out on the 8th. I'm bringing my 22 year old son, Clark. I'm looking forward to meeting you.
Brian

DETROIT!! well...you are almost close to Illinois. I am bringing my dad. Should be flying in the 5th and out the 8th....I should prolly get to booking a hotel and actually getting plane tickets...

Looking forward to meeting you as well Brian.

Paul

I learned that apparently you can make a boat load of money owning a bunch of car dealerships. ::) But seriously, it was a real Eye opener riding with the pro drivers for the hot laps. Good times.

BOSS343

Theory of 1
say WHAAAAAA :eek: I get to meet an Englishman....awesome!! Best Vacation EVER!!! If I get any more excited my heart will give out and I will never get to attend the bloody thing.

Glad to hear some relatively close people Ohio, Detroit, ...super pumped!

Disregard what the web site and mailed packet say, you CAN wear shorts. I went last August and didn't wear shorts, LIKE THEY TOLD ME, and I sweated like a piece of rancid pork.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Number23 said:
Disregard what the web site and mailed packet say, you CAN wear shorts. I went last August and didn't wear shorts, LIKE THEY TOLD ME, and I sweated like a piece of rancid pork.

I have never seen pork sweat.

You can wear shorts because they issue you a driving suits so do actually have both shorts and long pants.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
I'll be there the 6th and 7th as well. Good to know that I can bring shorts...will make the driving experience much better!

TMO Supporting Vendors