The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sonoma on 7-8 Sept w/ NASA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
NorCal
Has anybody in NorCal run with NASA before? I’m planning on going to this event, if anybody else is interested. Definitely on Saturday, maybe also going on Sunday.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
NorCal
I was thinking tonattend it too.
But i have a timr trial the 1st south cal at street of willow.
So I'm not sure..
A buddy of mine runs with them. I went to watch him in june . It is packed.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
I didn’t think of the crowds at a NASA event compared to just HOD, good point.

Has anybody in NorCal run with NASA before? I’m planning on going to this event, if anybody else is interested. Definitely on Saturday, maybe also going on Sunday.

I run with NASA in the Time Trial series, and the events are done in conjunction with NASA pro racing and NASA HPDE groups. NASA runs a good event, but I would say theirs are higher in numbers than some others (partly due to lower pricing and partly because they don't limit the numbers as strictly as organizers like HOD). There are always a great mix of cars at NASA events because you have the race groups on down to the newbies and 4 HPDE groups. I've been at most of the events this year with NASA and they are all run well and I've never had any issues with the organization. But yes, you may be on track with 40 cars or so in any given session (HOD, for example limits to 25 in many cases). With all that said, in the Time Trial group, I sometimes find myself on a track with only 10-12 cars by the end of the day. Here is a video of me at the NASA Sonoma event in June this year. Nobody in my way!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
NorCal
@Dave_Car_Guy great info, thanks! This will be my first time running with NASA, so it looks like I have to start out down in their 1 or 2 group. But I’d like to start running Time Trials next season

@Dave_Car_Guy great info, thanks! This will be my first time running with NASA, so it looks like I have to start out down in their 1 or 2 group. But I’d like to start running Time Trials next season
Excellent! I hope it goes well. I won't make it out for that weekend as I'll be out of town. Look for my friend Tony Brakohiapa, from Tony B Racing in his white GT350R with blue wheels in TT2 class. He is a senior racing instructor there at Sim raceway and a former formula drift champion. He does 1:46 - 1:47 laps at Sonoma in his GT350R and is a wealth of info. He loves the Shelby and I'm sure we would both love to see another join us in Time Trials TT2! Find him in the paddock and tell him Dave Anderson sent ya! Time Trials is a great way to compete.

Look for flyhallf ^ out there as well... super nice guy!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
NorCal
Even because apperently no matter how expert younare you will need to run at least one hpde with them to prove you are a good person/driver.

I actually like that, though. Makes me feel like the people in the specific groups should actually be there, and don’t just think they should. Plus, it never hurts to get some extra instruction.

@Dave_Car_Guy wow, those are quick laps! I’m only in the (very) high 1:50’s right now in my Boss, but I’m going to try and get a lot more seat time at Sonoma. I’m also still running the factory suspension and tire sizes (the 255 and 285’s)

Yeah. I think so too. Although that means "loose ome day to prove them i can drive there :)
I ran 1.50 there so i can't wait to try 49. My problem is the muscle cup commitment. I can't do both.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel