The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Soon to be new Boss owner.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

Name's Sarkis, been lurking around the forums for a while searching for my next car.
Never thought I'd consider buying a mustang, but after seeing the Boss on youtube and in person, I was instantly attracted to it ;D. The Boss also fit the criteria i was looking for, which was RWD, manual, and >200HP.

I started looking around local MD dealers, found a SBY with recaros and the dreaded $5k ADM. Tried to negotiated the ADM off but my fail negotiation skills only managed to take off $2.5k.

So I kept lurking around the forums until I realized my favorite, and the fastest, color was PW. Found a PW Boss (#1014) in SC for MSRP and now I'm in the process of filling out the paperwork. If everything goes to plan, the paperwork should be mailed tomorrow and hopefully I can have the car here sometime next week. It's going to be an adventure learning how to drive stick on the Boss ::)

Meanwhile, here are a few pics of the Boss aging at the dealer and a boring vid of me on track with my autotragic '07 corolla.
vicbaileyboss2.jpg

vicbaileyboss3.jpg

vicbaileyboss9.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXn4qakaDs[/youtube]

Welcome to BMO. The Boss is actually very easy to drive so you could have picked a worse car to learn on. Just be careful with the throttle because the Boss has just a few more HP than your Corolla. ;) You'll be surprised how quickly you get used to 444 HP. Post up some photos when you get your Boss home.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
We'd like to see a pic of your smile after you're first run on the track. It usually looks like someone who just won the Lottery ;D

PS: Start off with Advance track on. The rear end is very tame but with stock tires and a lot more HP than before it will help you work into the car smoothly.

Congrats on the Boss and on the great color. Having had other Mustangs, I really didn't see what all the hype was about the Boss the day I drove it home from the dealer. But I've got 200 miles on it now and have been pushing it harder as I go. Now I've come to see what an amazing car it really is. You're gonna love it.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The engine definitely is not the same after 1000 miles or so. IMO the TK really is needed to appreciate the Boss. Break her in slowly, you'll see how it changes to a beast at around 500 miles. Very cool....

Sesshomurai

Congrats on the boss! I was in similar position myself. And PW is a great color choice.

Keep us updated and everyone here is full of great advice along the way.

Thanks a lot guys.

Just over-nighted the papers, dealer should receive them tomorrow.
Can't wait to drive the car. It's going to be my daily driver once I get used to the manual transmission. And once I learn how the handle the car ill be heading over to summit point asap lol.

Any pointers you guys give me will be greatly appreciated.
Some of these transmission threads were scaring me, but they didn't hold me back enough lol.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
For the transmission woes. It doesnt affect everyone. If it affects you I would do the following:
Complain to FORD
or
MGW shifter
REDLINE MTL
HD Clutch line
Remove Assist spring

If it still shifts badly then you can look into a clutch swap to something better. McLoed Twin disc seems to have worked for a fellow member. He is awaiting more track time to give his offical nod.

All else fails you can look to swap out the trans with the tremec t-56 XL

Welcome and congrats.

Hold no worries on learning to drive a stick in this car, I found the Boss to be amazingly civil and far easier to drive than the car I learned to drive stick on. :)

GA
Congrats. I think it would have been harder to learn stick on a previous generation Mustang, since the clutch was much harder. The clutch in these newer cars is much easier- to me it felt like it was broken when I first drove one. ;)

Justin

PJWANNABE said:
Congrats. I think it would have been harder to learn stick on a previous generation Mustang, since the clutch was much harder. The clutch in these newer cars is much easier- to me it felt like it was broken when I first drove one. ;)
lol yes I remember driving my cousin's 89 notch with a king cobra clutch in it. Felt like you were trying to push a brick wall down lol

When I sat in the SBY at the local dealer, the clutch felt smooth and easy.
It also felt "non-linear", now I don't know if that's just from the helper spring or that's how clutches normally feel like.

Is it normal to make a mod list before you have the car? ???
i think first thing I'd like to do is JTL oil catch can and eventually new wheels and tires for the winter.

Justin

F.D. Sako said:
It also felt "non-linear", now I don't know if that's just from the helper spring or that's how clutches normally feel like.

i think first thing I'd like to do is JTL oil catch can and eventually new wheels and tires for the winter.
yes it is normal to have a mod list or actual mods for the car before you buy it lol. I already had a mgw shifter and k&N drop in filter in mind when I was looking at the boss

Sesshomurai

F.D. Sako said:

7 symptoms of boss sickness. I have it bad. No recovery from this.

1. Lurking many boss forums long before owning one.
2. Making an extensive list of mods. Some you might need, most you don't.
3. Constantly googling for images of other peoples bosses.
4. Imagining yourself racing in your boss during the day.
5. Monitoring aftermarket and performance shops for new parts.
6. Losing the concept of money.
7. Wondering if you need a spare set of wheels and tires and then justifying it.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
F.D. Sako said:
Thanks a lot guys.

Just over-nighted the papers, dealer should receive them tomorrow.
Can't wait to drive the car. It's going to be my daily driver once I get used to the manual transmission. And once I learn how the handle the car ill be heading over to summit point asap lol.

Any pointers you guys give me will be greatly appreciated.
Some of these transmission threads were scaring me, but they didn't hold me back enough lol.

Transmission problems don't affect everyone. I have two MT-82s. No issues so far.

My suggestion is to swap the brake/clutch fluid and bleed the whole system first.

Good luck, and welcome to the club!

TMO Supporting Vendors