The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Soon to be new Boss owner.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darreng505 said:
7 symptoms of boss sickness. I have it bad. No recovery from this.

1. Lurking many boss forums long before owning one.
2. Making an extensive list of mods. Some you might need, most you don't.
3. Constantly googling for images of other peoples bosses.
4. Imagining yourself racing in your boss during the day.
5. Monitoring aftermarket and performance shops for new parts.
6. Losing the concept of money.
7. Wondering if you need a spare set of wheels and tires and then justifying it.

oh man! looks like I'm in deep for this one lol

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
F.D. Sako said:
darreng505 said:

7. Wondering if you need a spare set of wheels and tires and then justifying it.

oh man! looks like I'm in deep for this one lol

I'll add #8 to that list for those of us that are locked in married bliss:

8. Spending large amounts of time at the beginning of each driving season mapping out all of your events and making sure the familiy vacation plans do not interfere with any of them. Along with this is unique and viable reasons to tell the wife....

Nice car! I have 3500 miles on my pw '13, #493. I have to say that this thing really came around once it had over 1k miles on it. Just got trackey installed and its even better! Enjoy

Thanks guys!

well good thing I'm not married... yet lol

Although I am getting the stink eye from people when they find out I'm getting a Boss and i don't know how to drive stick.

I'm starting to loose sleep as I'm counting the days.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
F.D. Sako said:
Thanks guys!

Although I am getting the stink eye from people when they find out I'm getting a Boss and i don't know how to drive stick.

F' them we all at one point never drove a stick car before....

Looks like you are not the only new Boss owner that didn't know how to drive a stick. My dealer said he just sold a SBY Boss to a guy that had never driven a stick either. He said he took him out for some lessons. I think it's great. No time like the present to learn and a car worth learning for. Congrats.

I hadn't driven stick in 10 years (and that last time was on a feed truck), I grew up on manual tranny's, but in city traffic always bought Auto's. Now after having the BOSS (2013 RR) for 72 hours, and getting used to the Manual Tranny again (which wasn't hard at all BTW), I am really enjoying it. Sure its something extra to do while driving, but since its a "New Car" I have also changed my driving habits a tad, I don't run up on other cars, I try to give plenty of room, and I won't hot-dog the car until its broken in.

Sure I am little rusty, (killed it 3 times already), had a little issue with reverse (I wasn't aware on these new tranny's its Down, Over and up), I just thought it was over and up and was in 1st gear instead, but figured that quickly. I am sure I am in clutch a little more than needed to get going from a stop or on a hill, but better than stalling it out. My shifts at first were jerky, but I was simply releasing the clutch to fast, easy adjustment.

Even if I had never driven a manual before, this is a very easy car to drive and learn, just take it easy, take your time, and if you are nervous, take it around your neighborhood for a little while where you know the traffic patterns and congestion. Then start taking it out in the wild more.

Thanks for the advice guys.

ill probably be practicing going in and out of my parking spot couple of hundred times lol.

A little update on the Boss. The dealer should receive the final paperwork on Monday and the Boss will be prepped for shipping. If everything goes as planned, I should have the Boss by the end of the week.

I do have a question regarding the car cover.
Is the cover durable, can it be used outside?
Does the cover have tie-downs or would it fly off when it gets windy?
I ask because we don't have a garage and we've been getting thunder storms lately.

I would not use the BOSS cover, I would go to Autozone, Advanced or order a custom one online and keep the BOSS cover in prestine shape. Just my opinion.

I don't plan on even opening mine, and I pulled out the factory floor mats before even driving the car. I have ordered OEM BOSS floor mats to use everyday. I am not planning on selling the car nor saving it for a future investment, but if I can keep the factory accessories in great shape, it will only help in the future.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
F.D. Sako said:
Thanks guys!

Are you from Hawaii? I never hear that anymore!

Grant 302 said:
F.D. Sako said:
Thanks guys!

I use that all the time up in LA! (The phrase that is)

Grant 302 said:

haha no, I've heard it a couple of times when i was in MA.

rpm3dinc said:
I would not use the BOSS cover, I would go to Autozone, Advanced or order a custom one online and keep the BOSS cover in prestine shape. Just my opinion...

I was thinking about that as well, might end up getting an aftermarket one from online.

Justin

F.D. Sako said:
Grant 302 said:

haha no, I've heard it a couple of times when i was in MA.

rpm3dinc said:
I would not use the BOSS cover, I would go to Autozone, Advanced or order a custom one online and keep the BOSS cover in prestine shape. Just my opinion...

I was thinking about that as well, might end up getting an aftermarket on from online somewhere.
I used this one for a long time on my 06 GT really good cover for the price
http://www.brenspeed.com/brencover-11.html

Justin said:

I did a quick search and came up with this
http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/60A1012A0A0A3482761.aspx

Does the brenspeed cover fit snug enough not to blow away when windy?
from the description, it sounds like its got elastic edges.

Justin

F.D. Sako said:
Justin said:

I did a quick search and came up with this
http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/60A1012A0A0A3482761.aspx

Does the brenspeed cover fit snug enough not to blow away when windy?
from the description, it sounds like its got elastic edges.
it has elastic bands front and back to keep it tight. and has a strap for the center. only time it came off was in the front, during a hurricane....

darreng505 said:
F.D. Sako said:
When I sat in the SBY at the local dealer, the clutch felt smooth and easy.
It also felt "non-linear", now I don't know if that's just from the helper spring or that's how clutches normally feel like.

Is it normal to make a mod list before you have the car? ???
i think first thing I'd like to do is JTL oil catch can and eventually new wheels and tires for the winter.

Laughing my ass off!!!! I haven't stopped laughing since I read this! ^^^

To frreaking funny! It's a dang shame that everything you wrote is true!!!!

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
06GT to 13LS said:
Looks like you are not the only new Boss owner that didn't know how to drive a stick. My dealer said he just sold a SBY Boss to a guy that had never driven a stick either. He said he took him out for some lessons. I think it's great. No time like the present to learn and a car worth learning for. Congrats.

I am teaching my 3 sons how to drive a stick in the Boss. They are 23, 21 and 19. There is a huge parking lot that never has anyone in it next to a movie theater. So far the 19 and 21 year olds have graduated to driving it on side streets with me. I just haven't had the time to drive with my oldest more. Great bonding time for dads and sons. Great fun.

Brian

batman48195 said:
I am teaching my 3 sons how to drive a stick in the Boss. They are 23, 21 and 19. There is a huge parking lot that never has anyone in it next to a movie theater. So far the 19 and 21 year olds have graduated to driving it on side streets with me. I just haven't had the time to drive with my oldest more. Great bonding time for dads and sons. Great fun.

Brian

That's great!
Looks like I'm a year older than your oldest son, too bad my dad isn't into cars that much.

My dad used to drive stick back in the day, but it has prob been more than 30 years since he has driven one. I'm sure I'll be getting pointers and he'll be with me for my first drive.

TMO Supporting Vendors