The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sorting out Ford's Build Quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So finally got round to sorting out poor build quality on Sally, her driver's fender was hard up against the A pillar. Now have a more consistant panel gap with the passenger's side but question is how do the doors adjust....door to hinge bolts was where I would have expected to be able to adjust the leading edge but there seems to be no movement.
Anyone had any experience of adjusting the doors....?

Are you original owner? Confident no body work? My BOSS is surprisingly well aligned. First thing I checked before I bought it. My 03 F150 had screws falling out of the dash board weeks after purchase.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Doors are aligned where the hinge bolts to the A Pillar. Remove fenders and the rear jamb strike. Align the doors to the rocker sills and quarter panels When gaps are even and the character lines align, reinstall the strike and reinstall fender and align. There shouldn't be a misalignment on the doors on a new car that wasn't hit, maybe car was damaged at the shipping ramp and repair done not too well, or at dealer.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1059&viewfile=Door%20Alignment.pdf
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1059&viewfile=Striker%20Adjustment.pdf
Post some pictures of your car for better analysis.
Steve

Dazzerboy68 said:
So finally got round to sorting out poor build quality on Sally, her driver's fender was hard up against the A pillar. Now have a more consistant panel gap with the passenger's side but question is how do the doors adjust....door to hinge bolts was where I would have expected to be able to adjust the leading edge but there seems to be no movement.
Anyone had any experience of adjusting the doors....?

Mine was the same way on the DS fender.

copstang said:
Mine was the same way on the DS fender.

I got the impression from Ford that a few of the 2013s were like this. Have you had it re-aligned..?

The conern I have is that the paint finish is non existant where they touch and therefore a potential rust problem, especially as I'm likely to take mine back to th UK in a year or so.

steveespo said:
Doors are aligned where the hinge bolts to the A Pillar. Remove fenders and the rear jamb strike. Align the doors to the rocker sills and quarter panels When gaps are even and the character lines align, reinstall the strike and reinstall fender and align. There shouldn't be a misalignment on the doors on a new car that wasn't hit, maybe car was damaged at the shipping ramp and repair done not too well, or at dealer.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1059&viewfile=Door%20Alignment.pdf
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1059&viewfile=Striker%20Adjustment.pdf
Post some pictures of your car for better analysis.
Steve

I can't see any evidence of damage just looks to be poor alignment. Tried the links but nothing displayed, suspect the browser on my tab is the issue though....will try the PC later.

I've had 2 Bosses and both were like this. I used to wonder if my first one had body work done, but then I noticed that a ton of these cars have body panels like that. It's just how some/alot of them are. But you can do minor things to adjust them a little bit.

Dazzerboy68 said:
I got the impression from Ford that a few of the 2013s were like this. Have you had it re-aligned..?

The conern I have is that the paint finish is non existant where they touch and therefore a potential rust problem, especially as I'm likely to take mine back to th UK in a year or so.

I had mine fixed when I picked it up and made sure they noted it so if I had probs in the furture it was documented in Oasis.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel